How to Be a Child Advocate in Your Community
1. Remember that all God’s children are precious — regardless
of their current economic status.
2. Every time you meet or encounter children in poverty,
smile, look directly into their eyes, take their hands, speak their names, and
greet them face-to-face (lean down to their height level — this shows them
3. Serve at your local homeless shelter, rescue mission outreach or
Christian organization ministering to children in need — and take your
child with you.
4. Send regular letters to encourage and uplift a child in poverty — or
have your child choose a “pen pal” at his or her age in another
country. Encourage one of God’s cherished children in poverty. Sign up as a
child correspondent at www.compassion.com or call (800) 336-7676. Change
the life of one child today!
5. Sign up today as a volunteer in the kids’ program at your local inner-city
church or inner-city youth organization — and take your child with you.
6. Educate others about the importance of ministering to children in
poverty in your community, in the church and in the world (for additional
resources, visit www.compassion.com or call (800) 336-7676.
7. Contact your local Christian radio station and ask how you can help with
volunteer opportunities working with impoverished children.
8. Call your local church regarding involvement in church community programs
for children, food donation drives or holiday programs that assist
impoverished children and families. Get your family involved!
9. Donate resources, time or money today to your local church’s child
10. Share current world poverty statistics with your children, making them
aware of others in need (statistics available at www.compassion.com or by
calling (800) 336-7676.
Want more information on world poverty and how to be an effective
advocate for children in poverty in your community? Visit
www.compassion.com or contact Compassion at (800) 336-7676,
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., MT.