EMERGING ROLE OF ICT IN MEDICAL
EDUCATION AND HEALTHCARE
Future of ICT in Healthcare
Today’s world is of globalization
Information and Communication Technology
(ICT) is diffusing its services to diverse domains.
Medical and Healthcare is intimately associated
with human lives.
So ignoring ICT in medical and healthcare is not
– ICT and Importance of ICT
– Healthcare with ICT and without ICT.
– Levels of ICT
• Global ICT activities
• HLH Project
– Different Flavors of HLH
– Outputs of this project
ICT and Importance of ICT
ICT is a combination of three words;
• Information storage, retrieval, manipulation,
• Communication transmission of information
ICT can be understood only by its uses and applications.
provide more realistic information on life elsewhere
provide health information, including on sensitive issues
Global ICT Activities
Health Vision 2020
Malaysia is Achieving this vision;
to be a
healthy Telehealth Services
individuals, • Health Online
families and • Life Time Health Plan
2. HR Portal for Health Department
Taking modern healthcare to
remote areas using ICT as
specialists are city based
3. Integrated Disease Surveillance
Decrease in price and To establish a decentralized state based system
complexity and Increasing of surveillance for communicable and non-
availability communicable diseases
1. National Program for Family Planning and Primary Health
National ICT R&D Funds is playing a marvelous role to
promote ICT in healthcare. It provides funds for projects;
Remote Patient Monitoring Health Life Horizon:
System with Focus on Open Source HL7 V3
Antenatal Care for Rural Application for e-Health
In progress as FAST University In progress as NUST University
Exchange with HL7
Levels of ICT and our Interest
Introduction to HL7
• Standard Developing Organization
• ANSI accredited
• Non-for-profit Volunteer organization
• Develop specifications not software
HL7 provides standards for interoperability that improve care
delivery, optimize workflow, reduce ambiguity and enhance
knowledge transfer among all of our stakeholders, including
healthcare providers, government agencies, the vendor
community, fellow SDOs and patients.
To create the best and most widely used standards in healthcare.
Information Exchange and Interoperability
Hospital Management System
HL7 V.3 Application
Laboratory Information System
HL7 V.3 Application
HL7 application will act as an system used to
share healthcare data with other organizations
in an interoperable way. Data
Some Facts and Figures
Healthcare is a $1.7 trillion dollar industry:
highly fragmented and highly competitive.
“Every year at least 98,000 Americans die and millions
more are injured as a result of medical errors“.
“Standardized information exchange would
save the nation $86.8 Billion each year”
• Role of ICT is increasing all over the world.
• Responsibility as a nation to incorporate
ICT as much as possible.
• Needed healthcare communication with
• Purpose to get better patient care.
Any Query / Suggestion?
• Kohn LT, Corrigan JM, Donaldson MS, eds, “To Err is Human :
Building a Safer Health System”, Washington, DC: National
Academy Press; 1999.
• Walker, Eric Pan, Douglas Johnston, Julia Adler-Milstein, David
W. Bates, and Blackford Middleton, “The value of Health Care
Information Exchange and Interoperability”.
• Health Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
1997 Leadership Survey.