SELF-EMPLOYED PERSONS: SAMPLE LIST OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TO BE
1. Gather all of the documents that are listed below.
2. Use the "File Index For Self-Employed Persons" to organize your application (see
3. Write your file number on the address label provided, attach the address label to
the front of an envelope, and submit all your supporting documents together to the
above address, within 120 days of the date of this letter.
ITEMS TO BE SUBMITTED
1. IMM 0008 form for the principal applicant only.
2. Schedule 1 forms for you and each dependant, whether accompanying or not,
who is now 18 years of age or older.
3. Schedule 6 form for the principal applicant only.
4. Additional Family Information Forms (IMM 5406) for you and each dependant,
whether accompanying or not, who is now 18 years of age or older.
5. Use of Representative Form (IMM 5476 ) You must complete this form if you have
a paid representative such as a lawyer or an immigration consultant.
The forms listed above can be downloaded from the following website.
6. Immigrant Summary and Supplementary Information form for you and each
dependant, whether accompanying or not, who is now 18 years of age or older
This form can be downloaded from the following website:
7. Four photographs of you and each of your dependents, whether accompanying or
8. Identity and civil status documents for you and your spouse or common-law
partner, whether accompanying or not. You must submit a copy of all relevant
birth, marriage, divorce and/or death certificates for yourself and your spouse or
9. Children’s Information including copies of their birth certificates (which name their
parents); adoption papers for adopted children.
10. Police certificates and clearances from each country in which you and each of
your dependents aged 18 years or over have lived for 6 months or more since
reaching the age of 18. You must submit the original document and a
translation if the document is not in English or French. **This does not apply to
residents of Saudi Arabia. If you reside in Saudi Arabia, you will be sent a request
for a police clearance certificate and a facilitation letter once your application is in
11. Background documents including any documents to support your answers in the
Background/Declaration form (schedule 1) such as completion of military service
card, military records, membership cards or any documents showing your
association or involvement in any social, political vocational and cultural
12. Travel documents and passport copies for you and each of your dependents. If
you live in a country other than your country of nationality, include a copy of your
13. Your education documents. Please submit copies of your educational credentials
and all corresponding transcripts and marks sheets
14. Evidence of your language proficiency. Please submit either a written submission
regarding your English or French language ability or language test results from an
approved organization such as the International English Language Testing System
or the Test d’évaluation de français.
15. Evidence of a minimum of two and maximum of five years of relevant experience
during the period beginning 5 years preceding the date of your application:
• financial statements including balance sheets, income statements, and
notes to the financial statements;
• income tax returns and tax assessments (if applicable);
• municipal permits, business licenses and company registration documents;
• other documents that you may wish to submit could include sales invoices,
purchase invoices, accounting records, business bank statements,
advertising brochures, resumes, portfolios etc.
16. Documents to demonstrate your net worth:
• proof of assets claimed in your Personal Net Worth Statement in Schedule 6
such as appraisals, title documents, tax assessments, etc;
• bank statements for the past three months accompanied by an original
letter from your bank manager(s) attesting to your business background;
• confirmation of outstanding liabilities or debts.
FILE INDEX FOR SELF-EMPLOYED PERSONS
A. APPLICATION FORMS/SCHEDULES
IMM 0008, Schedule 1, Schedule 6, Additional Family Information form
(IMM 5406), Use of representative form (IMM5476), Immigrant Summary and
Supplementary Information form.
B. DESCRIPTIVE DOCUMENTS
C. IDENTITY DOCUMENTS
Travel documents, Passports, etc.
D. EDUCATION DOCUMENTS
Diploma, Marks sheet and transcripts
E. EVIDENCE OF LANGUAGE ABILITY
Written submission regarding English or French language ability
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) results
Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) results.
F. BUSINESS EXPERIENCE DOCUMENTS
Financial statements, tax returns, payroll information, Articles of Incorporation, Share
certificates, Business Licenses, etc.
Evidence of previous period of study by applicant or spouse in Canada, evidence of
previous period of work in Canada by applicant, educational credentials of spouse,
evidence of family relationship in Canada.
H. NET WORTH
Bank statements, appraisals, business valuations, title deeds, confirmation letters etc.
I. POLICE CERTIFICATES
Police certificates for you and each of your dependents who is over 18 years old from
each country you have lived in for 6 months or more.