Introduction to Disaster Management
Interoperability Services (DMIS)
“The systems we have can’t talk to each
“Most of us don’t have budgets for
Per executive-level course at NFA
Common operating picture at ICP and EOC
Center Emergency Organization to Manager
tends to be
“Pass the rumor FAX
telephone chaos.” hassles
“Grease pencil and
• Leverage technology to gain efficiency
• Develop a national emergency information interoperability service
enabling horizontal and vertical data sharing
Open Platform for Emergency Networks (OPEN) – an
interoperability backbone that lets systems “talk to each
Nationally scalable and secure
Gives responders freedom to choose software that best suits
Provides access to common services supporting basic
DMIS Tools - basic automated tools
CAP Alert Messages
Tactical information exchange
NIMS Concepts and Principles
Other approved messaging standards
What is a COG?
An agency or group who needs to:
Share information based on accepted standards
Collaborate within the common operating picture
Eligible to register for DMIS
Local emergency management
Emergency medical services
Public health departments
Registering for a New COG
Register at www.disasterhelp.gov
Select “Disaster Management,”
“Step 4 register for a COG,
Registration Form.” C
omplete / submit form.
Be patient for 1 to 2 weeks while DMIS:
Verifies your eligibility
Creates your COG in DMIS
Creates your initial COG
Tests COG and id/password
Emails information to get started
DMIS Initial Configuration
DMIS Initial Startup
Please contact the training and
outreach team if you require
(703) 201-2609 14
DMIS COG Administrator Course
DMIS Web Services Release 2.3
As an Administrator you
Modify Desktop Settings
Configure computers for
Create and maintain
Create roles and privileges
in Operator accounts
Set and change passwords
“Leading the Way” Deactivate Operators
Run administrative reports
Setting COG Configuration
Access the COG Configuration screen from the DMI-Services drop-down
menu by selecting:
DMI-Services ► Administration ► COG Configuration
The COG Profile
(Add a New Operator)
(Add a New Operator)
1. Select Operator Profile from Administration menu.
2. Click New button or select New from File menu.
3. Enter name, address of operator in appropriate fields.
4. Assign Operator ID per strong password guidelines.
5. Enter contact information via Add button; use drop down
menu for Type and Value (number).
6. Assign privileges to the operator.
7. To allow access to sensitive data, select Sensitive Data
Access for TIE.
8. To make COG POC, select Display as Point of Contact;
may have multiple POCs.
9. To activate, select Operator Activated checkbox.
10. Select Save from File menu, or click Save button.
11. To close, select Exit from File menu or click Close
(Assigning Roles and Privileges)
To assign a role to an operator:
1. Make sure correct operator is selected in list of operators in left
2. Select radio button that corresponds to appropriate role for
3. Select radio button corresponds to appropriate role for sub-
application (if available). Roles/Privileges list is a hierarchy. You
must assign role to higher application level before selecting
roles at sub-application level. 23
(Modify an Operator Profile)
1. Select Operator Profile from Admin menu.
2. Select name of Operator profile to edit.
3. Modify data as necessary in fields provided.
4. If Operator is COG POC, select Display as
COG Point-Of-Contact checkbox.
5. Select Save on File menu or click Save icon.
6. If you fail to save changes, Confirm Operator
Selection message opens.
7. Click Yes to disregard changes; No to reverse
changes; Cancel to return to Operator Profile.
(Changing a Users Password)
Change users password using Operator Profile screen.
Recommend new passwords at least every 90 days.
DMIS uses strong passwords per DHS security policy.
Passwords must be:
- minimum of 9 characters, maximum of 20 characters;
-1 upper case, 1 numeric, and 1 special character.
- consist solely of periods, spaces or @ sign;
- cannot have leading or trailing periods or spaces.
Jomyrg1%n is an example of a valid strong password.
The following special characters cannot be used:
A leading space
A trailing space
Note: New password may not be active immediately. If
new password is not active after 10 minutes, please notify
DM help desk at 1- (888) 333-9473 .
(Deactivate an Operator)
Outreach and Training