HEALTHY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
It’s the most wonderful time of year with so many parties to attend, family traditions, and favorite holiday dishes
to eat. How do you stay fit and healthy with all these distractions? While it can be so easy to over indulge
during the holidays remember these healthful tips to stay on track during the holiday party season.
Rules of the holiday bar! Weigh your self regularly
▪ Alcohol, holiday punch, eggnog, sodas and all the ▪ A skinny person’s trick to maintain weight is getting on
sweet holiday cocktails are just empty calories waiting to the scale a couple times a week! By weighing yourself
expand your waist line. regularly you can catch those sneaky extra pounds
before they become a weight issue.
▪ Try mixers like club soda (no calories!), red and white
wine or drinks with real juice like bloody marys and ▪ If you find yourself a couple pounds over your normal
screwdrivers weight be extra healthy on those weekdays without
temptations like parties and nights out. Think of those
▪ Remember calories from alcohol go right to your belly!
days, like a ‘calorie savings account’ for those days you
Water Water Water want to indulge—like the weekend.
▪ It can’t be said enough--drink plenty of water. With all
the running around, shopping, partying, eating and On these ‘healthy days’ you might try to exercise for an
drinking you will dehydrate easily during the holiday extra 15 minutes, have a ‘meat free’ day or have a
season. lighter healthy dinner like warm soup and salad or grilled
▪ Stay hydrated by carrying a refillable water bottle with
you and drink water throughout the day.
Avoiding the Flu
▪ Avoid sodas which are high in sugar have no nutritional
value and help dehydrate you (even diet sodas will We all know that it is going to be a rough flu season this
dehydrate you and make you feel bloated). year and no one wants to get sick around the holidays.
Maintaining your overall health is the best defense again
Don’t Skip Workouts! the flu and other winter bugs.
▪ It is easy to skip work outs when you have tons of ▪ stay well nourished and hydrated
holiday activities. Your schedule to fills up quickly during ▪ wash hands frequently
the holidays but don’t skip your workouts!
▪ keep hand sanitizer on you and in your car
▪ During the holidays keep your workouts interesting and ▪ eat balanced meals
frequent to aid with holiday stress. To something special
▪ get enough sleep, try to sleep at least an extra hour
with your family and friends like apple picking, hiking to
cut down your Christmas tree, enjoy the holidays with a or two each night when you are sick and recovering
brisk walk or a fun game of flag football. ▪ if you are sick avoid contact with others and
stay home from work, school, grocery store, etc
First Choice Rehabilitation Center, Centered On Results