Scarborough Campus Community Radio, Incorporated
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Thursday February 12, 2009
A. Call to Order / Attendance Leeann
a. Directors Present
i. John Aruldason
ii. Adam Mohammed
iii. Nick Morris
iv. Anastasia Povolotska
v. Thomas Snell
vi. Rob Wulkan
vii. Leeann Yee
viii. Alisia Young
b. Other Members Present
i. Matthew Cheng
ii. Justin Fisher
iii. George Samaras
c. Directors Absent
i. Andrea Briceno
ii. Johnathan Hok
iii. Carmen Lau
B. Approval of the Agenda Leeann
- Station Update moved to the end of the agenda to ensure election and referendum
discussions can be completed.
- Adam motions to approve the agenda. Tom seconds and the agenda is approved
C. Approval of Minutes Nick
January 23 , 2009
- Nick – Two changes from the original version emailed out: 1) Tom’s second last comment
in New Business #2, Approval of Revised Operating Budget, changed to reflect actual
remarks; b) Date of Next Meeting revised to read “2009” instead of “2008”.
- Nick motions to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes for January 23rd 2009 as
amended. Tom seconds and the minutes are approved unanimously.
- Before the beginning of the substantive portions of the meeting, Adam briefly reviews
Board meeting procedures and how voting is carried out.
D. Old Business
E. New Business
1. Approval of Amendments to Revised Operational Budget, FY2008-2009 Anastasia
- Anastasia explains the updates to the operational budget, including a) increased Savings
from 2007-2008 reflecting a refund received from Illusive Design; b) two new line items:
Accrued Vacation Pay and Payroll Liabilities; c) the Programming Quality Manager’s proper
remuneration amounts; d) the transfer of FM Consulting fees to the capital expenditure
- John A. asks whether it is possible to combine the end of year DJ & Board parties. It is
concluded that it is something to consider at a future date when substantive discussion can
- Anastasia motions to approve the Amended Revised Operational Budget for 2008-2009.
Tom seconds and the motion carries unanimously.
- Noting that the introduction of financial statements is not on the agenda, Anastasia motions
to add Presentation of the Financial Statements for Fall 2008 as the next item on the
agenda. Tom seconds and the motion carries unanimously.
2. Presentation of Financial Statements for Fall 2008 Anastasia
- Anastasia introduces financial statements for the Corporation for the period of September 1
2008 to December 31 2008.
- Adam asks whether the DJ Parties line item includes just the DJ party held in that period,
and Anastasia confirms.
- Adam asks whether fuel charges were really just $25, and Anastasia confirms.
- Adam remarks that several pieces of capital equipment that are likely reflected as an asset
on the financial statements may no longer be in use, usable, or even in our possession.
Adam and Anastasia agree that come the end of the fiscal year, they will take an inventory
of the assets and make adjustments to the book value of the Corporation’s assets
3. Ratification of CRO: Arshi Kalcutte Tom
- Tom explains that a Chief Returning Officer (CRO) is needed for the upcoming election and
referendum. Applications were opened from January 20 to January 31 2009.
Advertisements were placed on the intranet, Fusion Radio website forum, and the website
itself. A standard series of questions were used for all interviews. After the top candidate
was selected, they were brought in for a detailed meeting to set expectations, review the
timeline, review policies, and review the contract.
- After this meeting, the position was offered to that candidate, Arshi Kalcutte, pending
ratification by the Board of Directors.
- Tom motions for the Board of Directors to appoint Arshi Kalcutte as Chief Returning Officer
for the election and referendum of the Corporation to be held in March 2009. Adam
seconds and the motion carries unanimously.
- Noting that the Approval of Election and Referendum Timelines is not on the agenda, Tom
motions to add Approval of Election and Referendum Timelines as the next item on the
agenda. Nick seconds and the motion carries unanimously.
4. Approval of Election and Referendum Timelines Tom
- Tom explains the election and referendum timelines (attached).
- Anastasia explains that it is important to have the election and referendum simultaneously
in order to save a significant amount of time and money. She notes that a small delay in the
referendum timeline will occur because the advice of the University of Toronto Office of the
Vice Provost is being sought regarding the referendum questions. Due to this delay, she
said it would be beneficial to separate the Notice of Election and Notice of Referendum, so
that the election timeline can remain as it is.
- With Alicia’s prompting, Tom explains the general purpose of the referendum to secure an
increase in the levy received by SCCR and to receive a levy for the summer semester
which currently does not occur. He explains the process of needing student approval
through a referendum as well as University of Toronto approval.
- Adam asks whether a promotional table will be setup for the referendum and who would be
handling marketing for the referendum and election. John A. remarks that he believes the
agreement was that the CRO will handle marketing for the elections while the marketing
department will handle marketing for staff hiring.
- Tom suggests that the referendum and the election timeline should be approved separately.
- Adam notes that anyone seeking more information about the referendum and its process
can also talk to the CRO.
- Tom motions to approve the election timeline (attached) as amended to have Call for
Nominations go from February 17 to February 25. Alicia seconds and the motion carries
- Tom motions to approve the referendum timeline (attached). Alicia seconds and the motion
5. Approval of Referendum Questions Anastasia
- Anastasia reads out the proposed referendum questions (attached).
- Tom notes that they have attempted to design the questions to be as unambiguous as
- Anastasia motions to hold a referendum from March 4 to March 5 with the following
questions (attached) pending approval of the questions from the University of Toronto
Office of the Vice Provost. Adam seconds and the motion carries unanimously.
F. Station Update Adam
- Adam explains that things are going well and that staff have assignments that will generally
take them until the end of the fiscal year. He says no major new projects are planned for
the rest of the fiscal year, except that working out the Student Centre speakers is still
- Adam notes that he is always seeking ideas for how the station can be improved.
- Alicia asks whether she should bring ideas from DJs to the Board or to Adam or Rob. Tom
and Adam explain that it will depend on what the suggestion is: operational matters will go
to Adam while bigger suggestions and ideas involving substantial expense would likely
have to be proposed to the Board.
- Tom reminds everyone present to complete the Corporate Social Responsibility
questionnaire distributed by email late last week.
G. Date of Next Meeting Leeann
- The next meeting originally would have been the 26 of February but the consensus is to
instead have the meeting on March 12 2009. An emergency meeting can be held before
then if urgent decisions need to be made in the meantime.
- Adam motions to adjourn the meeting. Tom seconds and the motion carries unanimously.