The outer peel is usually a yellow orange color. Orange Oranges range in size from small to large. The fruit inside is orange and made of several easily separated segments (usually about 10 segments). Do not eat the peel or seeds. Oranges are fruit which grow on trees. It is believed oranges orig inated her Columbu s and other explorers brought or in Sou Christop ange theast A By the 1820’s, there were orange grov seeds and s sia. es grow eedlings ing in with them to No th America. St. Aug r ustine, Flo ti Fl rida. member of the citrus member h citrus Oranges are a member of the citrus s da the number one number n family. Florida is the number one Primary Sou ce: National Fr and Vegetable Program at www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov • Designed by: Vicki Jedlicka, UNL Extension in Lancaster County oranges oranges the producer of oranges in the s. However e r owever, United States. However, However, NUTRITION FACTS exas and xas California, Texas and • Fat free grow and row Arizona also grow and • Cholesterol free 9 sell oranges. 90% of 90% • Sodium free nges Florida’s oranges e • Good source of go into juice.. vitamin • High in folate, calcium, potassium, thiamin, niacin and S VARIETIE magnesium Varieties include the sweet orange, the sour orange and the mandarin orange (or tangerine). The United States mostly produces USESP el Peel and eat as a Pee Peel sweet orange varieties, whole fruit or add to fruit salads. whole fruit add to whole fruit including: Hamlin, Parson Drink 100% j r 0 juice Drink 100% juic or use the Brown, Valencia and Navel. juice in dips, sauces, smoothies juice dips, sau e a juice dips, sauce Some oranges have seeds and some are seedless. and b and baked goods. Primary S urce Na nal Fruit Source: National Funded in part by USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service, EFNEP, and Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services 2008. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program provides nutrition assistance to people with low income. It can help you buy nutritious foods for a better diet. To ﬁnd out more, call 1-800-430-3244. Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture. ® University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture. Fresh Fruit Crunch Preparation time: 15 minutes Number of servings: 6 Cups of fruits or vegetables per serving: 0.5 2 oranges, peeled and torn into sections 1 apple or pear, diced ½ c. grapes, halved 1 banana, peeled, thinly sliced 2 T. orange juice ½ c. low-fat granola cereal 1. In a medium bowl, combine orange sections, apple or pear, grapes, banana, and orange juice. 2. Sprinkle granola over fruit and stir gently. 3. Serve immediately as dessert, or for breakfast topped with low-fat yogurt. Nutrition Information per Serving: Calories 100, Total Fat 1 g (1% DV), Saturated Fat 0 g (0% DV), Cholesterol 0 mg (0% DV), Sodium 25 mg (1% DV), Total Carbohydrate 24 g (8% DV), Dietary Fiber 3 g (12% DV), Sugars 14 g, Protein 2 g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 60%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%. Breakfast Fruit Cup Preparation time: 10 minutes Number of servings: 4 Cups of fruits or vegetables per serving: 0.5 2 oranges, peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces 1 banana, peeled and sliced 1 T. raisins ½ c. low-fat yogurt ⅛ tsp. cinnamon 1. In a small bowl, combine fruit. Divide fruit equally into 4 bowls. 2. Put a rounded tablespoon of yogurt over fruit in each bowl and sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon. Nutrition Information per Serving: Calories 90, Total Fat 1 g (1% DV), Saturated Fat 0 g (0% DV), Cholesterol 0 mg (0% DV), Sodium 25 mg (1% DV), Total Carbohydrate 20 g (7% DV), Dietary Fiber 2 g (8% DV), Sugars 13 g, Protein 3 g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 70%, Calcium 8%, Iron 2%.