Health and Fitness Newsletter
Try a Different
Fort Bragg’s FMWR Sports and Fitness Monthly Newsletter Approach to Get
Visit us on the web at www.fortbraggmwr.com
5 Tips On How to Stick
January 8, 2010 Volume 1II, Issue 1 With Your New Year’s
23 Jan Aerobathon—9 AM—12 PM at Towle Court Fitness Center Resolution
22 Jan—6 Mar— Indoor Soccer Healthy Resolutions—
How to Reach Your
29-30 Jan—Post Racquetball Tournament Goals
2 Feb—Spin Your Way Thin—8 Wk Weight Loss Program— Tuesdays at 9:30 AM January’s Recipe
Motivational Quote: Motivation Healthy Resolutions—How to Reach Your Goals
is what gets you started. Habit is
So where do we begin? Lets start with a definition: ―A New Year’s
what keeps you going. - Jim Ryun Resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or a
Try A Different Approach habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as
To improve health— advantageous.‖ There are some key factors here in this definition.
1. Buy Whole Food—canned, First is the word ―commitment‖ To be successful with your resolution,
frozen, or fresh—use them you have to have a strong initial commitment to make the change.
in place of processed foods Not thinking about making a resolution until the last minute, or
whenever possible. reacting on New Year’s Eve and make a resolution based on what is
2. Start each dinner with a bothering you or is on your mind at the moment does not give you
mixed salad. This can re- enough time to think through how you will proceed to keep your
duce your appetite for more resolution.
To improve Physical Fitness Consider right now your new beginning, and asses whether or not
1. Do a squat to pick things up. you are ready to commit to a resolution. Decide if you are TRULY
This forces you to use your ready and willing to make the effort to kick a bad habit or start a
legs muscles and will build healthy one. Confidence in your ability to make your set behavior Chicken Noodle Soup
strength. change another key to making a successful change.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2. Every time you stop at a Here are some other ideas to help increase your chances for success 1 cup chopped onion
traffic light, tighten your in keeping your resolutions.
thighs and butt muscles— 1 cup chopped celery
No one will notice—This will - Establish Your Resolution—Choose one, be positive, and gain 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth or bul-
firm these areas. knowledge. One mistake many of us make is making too many
resolutions at once. If you want to stop smoking, lose weight, and lion
To improve Stress:
1. Give your partner a hug. reduce stress—that is great! But not all at once. 12 oz. chopped cooked chicken breast
Studies show this simple act 8 oz egg noodles
- Choose one area of your health you want to work on- Make it your
can help you remain calm 1 cup sliced carrots
own. Make sure you choose a resolution that is within your control
when chaos ensues.
and that you—not your family members or friends—want to make. 1 teaspoon dried basil
2. Have a good cry. It can
boost the immune system. - Be Realistic— About what you can and will do and in what 1 teaspoon dried oregano
3. Twice a day, breathe timeframe. Consider your finances, schedule, and personal affairs. Instructions
deeply for 3 to 5 minutes.
To improve Sleep: - Be Positive—Frame your resolution positively. Don’t frame your In a large pot over medium heat, melt
1. Sprinkle your sheets with resolution as an absolute, saying ―I will never do X again.‖ It simply butter. Cook onion and celery in butter
lavender water. The scent sets us up for failure. until just tender, 5 minutes. Pour in
help with relaxation.
- Avoid repeat resolutions—Avoid repeating a previous resolution in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in
2. Get a new pillow. Pillows
the same way. Try a different technique. If you resolved to stop chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano,
with the indent in the middle
smoking or chewing tobacco ―cold turkey‖ last year but didn’t, try
can enhance sleep quality. salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then re-
resolving to get more information, support, join a stop smoking
program, or use a nicotine-fading method this year. duce heat and simmer 20 minutes before
Five Tips on How to Stick with
your New Year's Resolutions - Gain Knowledge—Set a goal to gain knowledge. If you are not serving.
1. Focus on positive self-talk. sure how to reach your goal, set a goal to explore your need to make Nutritional Information
Congratulate yourself every time
you take a step towards your a health-related change; get the facts; find out what action steps are Calories: 167.5
resolution goal. Be your own best necessary; and realistically assess the potential obstacles in your life Total Fat: 5.1 g
cheerleader. to make the change. Cholesterol: 41.1 mg
2. Avoid berating yourself if you Sodium: 1,028.8 mg
should fall back or break a resolu- - Make a Plan—Be S.M.A.R.T. Once you have chosen your goal and
Total Carbs: 17.6 g
tion. Just brush yourself off and learned how to go about it, it is time to make a plan. Writing down
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
start over again. your resolution and how you will attain it are key to success. A great
way to do this is to use a S.M.A.R.T.—Specific, Measureable, Protein: 12.3 g
3. Stick to your resolution by
considering it a promise to your- Achievable, Relevant, Time-Based plan.
self, not a test of your willpower.
4. Avoid situations that put you in Specific—Be specific—Saying ―I want to get in shape.‖ All aerobics classes are now at Towle
temptation's path, meaning if PFC Monday-Saturdays 5:00a.m.-
you're on a diet, don't go to the Measurable—Make sure your goal is measurable—I will exercise 30
minutes a day, 5 days a week. 7:30 pm-Hammond Hills Recreation
ice cream parlor.
5. Keep a sticky note in a promi- Center on Monday , Wednesday , and
nent place so that you see it Attainable—Be realistic, and be honest. Assess your strengths and Fridays at 9:30 am
every day, reminding yourself of weaknesses.
your resolutions. (i.e., on your Fitness Equipment Orientations now
bathroom mirror, next to your Relevant—All goals toward being, healthier are relevant; however
bed, on the visor of your car, on make sure they are appropriate for you. at Callahan PFC at 9:30 am and 1:30
the refrigerator . pm. Call 432-6493 to sign-up.
Time– Based—A good resolution is time bound. You need to have a
timeframe to work within for short and long term goals.