Axle Shaft Assembly: Service and Repair
Disassembly and Assembly
1. Remove axle shaft as described previously.
2. Straighten bent claw of large end of boot on DOJ side of axle shaft, then loosen boot band.
3. Remove boot band on small end of DOJ side in same manner, then slide boot away from joint.
4. Remove round circlip at neck of outer race on DOJ side with screwdriver.
5. Remove outer race on DOJ side from shaft assembly.
6. Remove balls and move cage to boot side, then turn cage by 1/2 pitch to track groove of inner race and remove snap ring, inner race, cage and
boot. The CVJ is not to be disassembled.
1. Check DOJ and CVJ for seizure, corrosion, damage, or excessive wear.
2. Check shaft for bending, twisting, damage and wear.
3. Check boot for wear, warping and cracking.
1. Install boot on CVJ side and fill with 2-2.5 oz. of special constant velocity joint grease Molylex No. 2 or equivalent.
2. Position boot from DOJ side at center of shaft, then insert cage of DOJ with recess facing outward.
3. Install inner race of DOJ onto shaft and secure with snap ring.
4. Install cage, which was previously positioned, with protruding part aligned with track on inner race and then turn by 1/2 pitch. Apply .75-1 oz. of
special grease to cage pocket and insert 6 balls into cage pocket, then fill interior of outer race with .75-1 oz. of special grease.
5. Align outer race track and ball positions, then fit outer race to inner race and cage.
6. Install circlip into groove on outer race of DOJ, then pull shaft to ensure circlip is seated in groove.
7. Apply .75-1 oz. of grease to interior of DOJ and shaft area, then fill boot with .75-1 oz. of grease and install. When installing boot, position
outer race of DOJ at center of its travel.
8. Install new boot bands using suitable tool and tighten until it cannot be moved by hand. While tightening band, be sure there is enough air
9. Tap on clip of band with suitable punch at end of tightening tool and cut off excess band at about .4 inch (10mm) from clip, then bend band over
10. Fill CVJ boot and CVJ with special grease and install in same manner as D.O.J. boot.