don’t wastE sErvicEs providEs an E-wastE solution
DWS pRovIDES A SERvIcE foR ThE REmovAl AnD SAfE DISpoSAl / DESTRucTIon oR
REcyclIng / RE-uSE of ElEcTRonIc WASTE To ITS clIEnTS nATIonAlly.
ElEctronic wastE – what is it?
Electronic waste is a broad term used to describe old or discarded appliances using
electricity. E-Waste contains components that are both valuable and those that could
be harmful. The recycling of e-waste requires special systems and training.
Some of the substances or components used in the construction of electronic goods
are harmful both to humans or the environment.
Responsible handling and disposal of these electronic goods is important to maintain
health and safety and protect the environment.
thE wastE managEmEnt procEss
All electronic products should be identified before being disposed of. A central
coordinator (usually in the IT department) needs to ensure that all departments are
aware of the need to dispose of these products responsibly and not in the general
e-waste at recycler
Ideally the products should be stored in a room where they can be collated until there
is sufficient volume to be collected – usually about 330kg’s worth.
DWS can also provide lockable bins for the storage of the e-waste.
DWS will arrange the most appropriate, accredited recycler to collect the e-waste.
The loads will ordered and tracked through our call centre. DWS staff can also assist
with the loading of the vehicles. We, or your security can also travel with the recycler
to monitor the shredding of product if necessary. Safe disposal/destruction certifi-
cates can also be issued on completion of each job.
There may also be an opportunity to donate used products to refurbishes or charity
organisations. Should this be your choice, DWS can source an organisation and
arrange the collection the used products.
As with all our recycling initiatives, any income that is received from a recycler is
rebated back to you, the client in full. This also forms part of our detailed web
magnetic sorting of metals
officE & tElEcommunication, E.g. largE housEhold appliancEs, E.g. safEty EquipmEnt, E.g.
- fax machines - fridges - Observation camera’s
- projectors - Washing machines - movement sensors
- photocopiers - Tumble dryers - Remote controls
- phones - Stoves / ovens
- modems - Air conditioners small housEhold appliancEs &
- mobile phones accEssoriEs, E.g.
- coffee machines it EquipmEnt & accEssoriEs, E.g. - Toasters
- pcs, servers - microwaves
consumEr ElEctronics, E.g. - Scanners, printers - vacuum cleaners
- Tvs - Screens - Kettles
- DvD players - headsets - hairdryers
- Stereos and loudspeakers - cables - Compact flourescent lamps (CFLs)
- cameras - Keyboards, mouse - Rechargeable batteries
- Ink cartridges
substance occurance in e-waste
- pcB (polychlorinated bihenyls) condensers, transformers
- TBBA (tetrabromo-bisohenol -A) fire retardants for plastics (thermoplastic components, cable insulation) TBBA is
presently the most widely used flame retardant in printed wiring boards and casings.
- pBB (polybrominated biphenyls)
- pBDE (polybrominated diphenyls ethers)
- Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) Cooling unit, insulation foam
hEavy mEtals and othEr mEtals:
- Arsenic Small quantities in the form of gallium arsenide within light emitting diodes
- Barium getters in cRT
- Beryllium Power supply boxes which contain silicon controlled rectifiers and x-ray lenses
- Cadmium Rechargeable NiCd-batteries, flourescent layer (CRT screens), printer inks and toners,
photocopying-machines (printer drums)
- Chromium VI Data tapes, floppy-discs
- lead cRT screens, batteries, printed wiring boards
- lithium li-batteries
- Mercury Flourescent lamps that provide backlighting in LCDs, in some alkaline batteries and
mercury wetted switches
- Nickel Rechargeable NiCd-batteries or NiMH-batteries, electron gun in CRT
- Rare earth elements (yttrium, Europium) flourescent layer (cRT screen)
- Selenium older photocoping machines (photo drums)
- Zinc sulphide Interior of cRT screens, mixed with rare earth metals
- Toner dust Toner cartridges for laser printers / copiers
- Americium Medical equipment, fire detectors, active sensing element in smoke detectors