RUNNING CLUB by etssetcf


More Info
									B        IRSTALL
       SEPTEMBER 2009

      The team for the Rainbows 100 lap challenge.
Don’t miss the article that Tony has written on page 8 and 9
                               MIXED PICS

  Pictures of Gary in Germany. At the UK ironman at Bolton, his Second full ironman
         in four weeks he recorded 11.49.26, with a superb run split of 3.51.11!

                Rachel, Liz, Chris and Alison at the Gloosen 10k

   Shobha, Suzanne, Jo, Karen and Anne, on a training run for the Great North Run.
       All these ladies didn’t think they would ever run one mile let alone 13.2.
   They have trained hard together even though Shobha and Anne are not running it.
   Well done to them all, I hope they have a good run and enjoy the experience and
atmosphere. Good luck to all who are running the Great North Run including Catherine
      Harrison who also has been training with the girls but missed the picture.
                          MUD, SWEAT AND 24 HOURS
The concept was simple. Get like minded Birstall Runners to enter a 24 hour
running race, a mere 10km lap off-road on a very challenging and hilly circuit. This
would be the very first Adidas Thunder Run 24, and a chance to get in the record
books. Who’d be up for the challenge?
After a few last minute personnel changes, we had our team of 8 – Sarah Collins,
Jane Coltman, Tom Burbidge, Neil Wright, Liz Jones, Chris Cobley, Steven Cherry
and ‘Ozzy’ Mike.
The fun started when we set-up camp. Days and days of rain meant a soggy, muddy
field and posed the first challenge of the weekend for Rob and Kath and their motor
home. A quick call out to the RAF boys soon had it sorted and our shelter for the
weekend was all in place. Our very own Liz Jones learnt a very valuable lesson: do
not stand near the wheels when trying to push a motor home out of a bog!
It was soon time to get down to the running. I was first off, ready to blaze a trail for
the team but the first climb reminded me why I should always warm up before a race
(I didn’t) but I was thinking more about the water falling out from the sky. Oh, the
lovely British summer time! The 10km lap had something for everyone, hills, mud,
water, downhill and a very short section on the flat. Off road shoes were the order of
the day, those unlucky enough to wear road shoes soon found themselves shooting
off into trees and bushes after slipping and sliding in the mud. Birstall showed its
wealth of experience as all the team had packed for the muddy conditions that
prevailed. After a full rotation of the team through gutsy runs by all the members, we
had worked our way up the leader board from third to second. First place was 6
minutes away, could we catch them?
After a full rotation by all 8 members, it started to get dark and interesting. We had
begged and borrowed head torches but not had time to test them out so this was it!
Well, what can I say? What an amazing experience, the questions about how will we
know where we’re going in the dark, soon changed to ‘wow, this is fantastic’.
Running through the woods with a head torch and glow sticks as your guide is a little
surreal. All you can hear is the sound of your own heartbeat and the squelching from
your feet in the mud. We all came back from our night laps beaming. Kath and Rob
were on hand to keep us fed, watered and warm throughout. All we had to do was
scrape the mud away, grab a shower, eat, drink and maybe catch a few zzzz.
We were now on a roll. Between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. we had clawed the
6 minutes back from the first placed team and gained a further 30 minutes over them.
We had been much quicker than our estimated lap times and that had given us our
edge. Tactics had now become part of our schedule and it was Rob who was going
back and forth to the timing tent to keep us constantly updated. The timing tent
became Rob’s second home. Soon, the sun was rising which lifted our spirits once
more, only 8 hours to go now!
We were still being consistent with the lap times and this meant there were more
laps to squeeze in than one per runner. Luckily, no straws had to be drawn so Neil,
Tom and Mike ‘volunteered’ to do extra laps.
By now, we were still in front by 40 minutes over the second placed team but
couldn’t really rest on our laurels. A lap took over 40 minutes so with 35 minutes to
go, Neil went out on the final glory lap. We all joined him in the finishing straight
to cross the line together, as a team. Who would have thought it, after 24 hours of
non-stop racing that we’d come out victorious. Birstall RC, winners of the 8 person
team category of the very first Adidas Thunder Run 24. We’ll be in the record
books as the first winners. We all got a finishers medal, t-shirt and a very nice
trophy. You’ll be seeing us on the club runs showing off our t-shirts very soon, just
after we’ve had a rest!
The event can only go from strength to strength; the organisation was superb, the
atmosphere amazing, an awesome course and all this less than
an hour away!
A big, big, thank you to Rob and Kath for feeding and looking
after us all weekend and everyone who came down to support
us. We were by far the most vocal team and most supported
club there. We couldn’t have done it without you!
So, there’s only one question remaining, same time next year?
                                           Sarah Collins

                        Liverpool Olympic distance triathlon.
 On Sunday the 21 June I completed my first triathlon for 8 years and 6th triathlon
 ever. The race was the Liverpool Olympic distance race (1500 metre swim, 25
 mile bike and 10km run). The race was the start of serious training to lead to my
 goal race, the Florida Ironman (2.5 mile sea swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2
 marathon run) in November, to ‘celebrate’ my 40th birthday!
 I awoke at 06.00 to see very grey skies and gusting wind coming in from the Irish
 Sea but thankfully no rain. I registered to receive my numbers and swim cap then
 racked my bike in transition. I laid out my kit, complete with Bart Simpson towel
 to make it easier to spot my bike after the swim! Making sure everything is in
 place. It makes running look so easy as all you have to do is look down to make
 sure you have everything but in triathlon you have 3 different disciplines to think
 about. I had not been this nervous before a race for a long long time. Have I
 forgot anything? Bike, running shoes?!! The race briefing for my wave was 10
 minutes before the start, where they tell you race instructions, swim course etc. On
 entering the dark, murky Albert docks I positioned myself about three quarters
 towards the back as swimming is my weakest part, although I had been swimming
 better than I have before and prefer open water to pool swimming. The gun went
 and it was absolute carnage to the first turn buoy, I was getting bashed and kicked
 everywhere. It seemed there was 250 swimmers trying to get round at the same
 time! After the turn things calmed down and I started to work my way through the
 pack. All my training has been geared to long, slow endurance so this really
 helped with all 3 disciplines as I worked my way through as others started to slow.
 I had expected to finish the swim in about 29-30 minutes but Veronica ( and
 doggies!) had clocked me at 25.33, in the top quarter of the field! The only
 complaint competitors had was the ridiculously long distances to transitions over
 stoney paths, but hey-ho it’s the same for everyone! Wetsuit off, helmet, glasses,
 and cycling shoes on I was off for the 4 laps of the bike course. This was an out
 round a cone, back, round a cone then start all over again. Veronica was there each
 lap taking pics and checking my time splits. It took a while to get my legs going
 after the cold swim and strong wind but as the race went on I was getting stronger
 but most importantly each lap was quicker than the previous. My bike time was
 1.09.30. (average 21.4 mph) I had hoped for a little
 quicker. Back to transition, rack the bike, running shoes
 on and I’m off again. The run was 2 laps, very flat but lots
 of twisty turns. I was pleased as I passed many runners
 and ran 1.30 quicker for the second lap. Run time 41.23.
 (average 6.39 minute miles) My overall time was 2.21
 including transitions to place me 35th overall and 9th in my
 age group.

6 Powelly.
                           Trentham Half Ironman.
On the 26 of July we (me, Veronica and 2 doggies!) travelled to Stoke for the
Trentham half Ironman. This was the next step to Florida. To see how I would
cope with more than double the distance I have ever attempted before. The weather
on the way looked pretty encouraging. Start time was 07.00. There were 4 events
going on during the day, the half, Olympic distance and 2 different sprints. A half
Ironman should consist of 1.9km swim, 56mile bike then a 13.1 mile half marathon
run, but it wasn’t exactly the case! The swim was in the lake at Trentham gardens
in the most disgusting coloured water any of us had ever seen. Looked a bit like
Willy Wonka’s chocolate lake but didn’t taste particularly like chocolate!
Approximately 220 of us entered the lake to attempt the 4 lap course. I was
expecting to complete the swim in around 32-33 minutes. I was amazed to exit the
water in 41! (reading forums it appears the swim was about 3-400 metres long).
To get to the bike transition we had to put our trainers on and make the long half
mile run to the bike. Veronica was again taking the split times and it was 6 minutes
30 seconds after the swim before I set off on the bike! During the swim leg the
wind had picked up and it was raining very heavily (stopped raining with about 20
minutes of the run left!) The bike course had been changed only day’s earlier
because of roadwork's and now consisted of 8 laps up and down a dual
carriageway with roundabouts at each end. It was becoming more dangerous all the
time as more competitors from other events entered the course, approximately 600.
Some poor guy was lying prone on the floor with paramedics in attendance putting
a neck brace on him after a car had side swiped him on a roundabout. Poor bloke,
hope he’s ok. I got into a decent pace quite quickly and was very pleased to clock
consistent times. Each lap within 20 seconds all the way through. The bike section
ended up being 59 miles which I clocked at 2.43. averaging 21.8 mph. Really
chuffed. Racking the bike and putting on now soaking wet trainers I headed out
onto the run which was on tracks and because of the rain resembled a cross
country course! 4 laps with 3 sharp but short hills on each I had a reasonably
strong run. Again slightly over distance (a couple of guys with Garmin’s clocked it
at 13.5 miles) Overall run time 1.38. With an overall time of 5 hours 10 minutes
this placed me 15th and 2nd in my age
group. Conclusion- very pleased with
the result, feeling quite strong at the
end. Fastest bike lap was the last one
and fastest run lap the last one!
Thanks to Veronica, Sarah Collins
and Chris Mawer (and 4 whippets!)
for the support in atrocious weather

                   THE “RAINBOWS” 100 LAP CLUB CHALLENGE
                                   Friday 26th June 2009
    “ I've got you a pint for you Drakey” and Jane Coltman slapped a lager in my hand.
    At last, all the compliments, love poems, flowers and chocolates have finally
    melted her, or so I thought.
    As you know, I have tried for ages to curry favour with Jane. I've even been buying
    Billy Coltman drinks for years thinking he was her father! and what’s more, he’s
    been feeding me stories of her first day at school and learning to ride a bike!
    Ours is a love-hate relationship. I love Jane and she hates me. but it’s not always
    been like that. Jane and I have been happy for many years, - then we met!
    but no, - my joy was short lived.
    “I want you to captain the club relay team” she said.
    I swelled with pride; “thank you for choosing me as captain”, I uttered almost
    unable to control my emotions.
    Her reply was very deflating. “I've asked everyone else and no-one wants to do it.
    I've even asked Gordon behind the co-op bar, the line dancers and the bowls club.
    “Don’t worry Jane, I'm your man”, I assured her, knowing she had as much
    confidence in me as she had in letting Gary glitter do the babysitting. "If I cock up
    I'll let you kick my dog”
    “If you cock up I'll eat your dog!”, she snarled playfully.
    It transpired that Jane works with the owls event organiser and had entered
    Birstall RC. in the inaugural 100 lap challenge relay at saffron lane, in aid of
    Rainbows charity and then conveniently booked a holiday on the same date!
    Each team consisted of 20 runners, each running a total of 5 laps each but in
    rotation so as to hand over a baton to another team member after each lap.
    All of our team arrived with enough time to practice baton changes and we became
    so proficient that no-one dropped the baton during the race. there was, however,
    one slip up during practice when George decided to practice grabbing the baton
    without wearing her glasses just as Neil was pulling up his shorts.

It took me all my strength to prise her fingers open and ten minutes until the smirk
on Neil's face disappeared.
Our mixed team consisted of experienced runners, some with track- time and
other club members who were entering a competitive race for the first time.
Without exception every team member gave it their all, eyeballs out as they came
down the home straight at the end of each lap. As the rest of the team was situated
next to the track, the support was very vigorous, especially from Birstall, as
always! much to the amusement of officials and crowd alike.
The venue was quite unique in that every runner was fully visible at all stages of
the race.
There was some notable performances from certain runners and their
performances are always highlighted so no separate times are included in this
This evening was a team performance and every runner gave 110%. we averaged
a few seconds over 30 minutes each 20 laps. i.e.. averaging 1 minute 30 seconds
per runner.
Birstall followed the rules of the race to the letter, maintaining the order of the
entered 20 runners each completing 5 laps each. this was a charity race so no sour
The declared winners was Huncote in 2 hours 17.08
Second place was given to Owls in 2 hours 19.24
Third place was won by Birstall in 2 hours 34.35.
It was a fun evening enjoyed by all, with
much camaraderie and bonding.
Great effort from the following, in order
of appearance;
Neil Wright , Chris Cobley,
Tony Drake, John Brennan,
Liz Jones, Karen Williams,
Dave Richards, Catherine Harrison,
Mark Bollard {taxi boy}, Dean Grimbley
Suzanne Betts-Saunders,
Glenda Barrett, Andrew Goodman
Anne Faulkner, Jo Grimbley
Tom Burbidge, Debbie Weeks
Steve Cherry, George Bowden and
Alison Rowlands
                                            Tony receiving the 3rd place trophy on behalf
Thank you for turning up and being in                       of the team.
my team, - alright Jane's team!

And a special thank you to members
and family who made contributions to the rainbows charity.
      An email from James Hamill about Alyson Pyrah, who belonged to the club.
Whilst on hols in New Zealand we (me and Jane ) met up with Aly ( who was also on
hols in NZ ) and we went skiing.
Aly attempted a jump from a ramp and got it all wrong and landed on her back.
Jane and I skied down to her she said she was in pain and couldn't feel her legs.
Anyway, First aid got there, took her into the first aid hut and a helicopter was called
taking her to Nelson hospital.
By the time we got to the hospital she had had x rays and was confirmed broken spine
and further tests needed to be carried out (CT scans) all seemed to be alright but then it
went serious when the ct results confirmed spinal cord damage.
An air ambulance was called and they flew up from Christchurch and picked her and her
mum up and flew them down to Christchurch hospital (New Zealand equivalent of Stoke
Mandeville she had surgery to repair the broken spine (6 fractures) with pins and screws
etc. The operation took 1.5 hours and the x-rays show a brilliant job done - the repair was
stronger than the original bone!
However, this was not a repair on the cord. This cannot be repaired can only be
monitored. Anyway, since the operation she has been moved to the specialist spinal
rehab unit - full of poor buggers who deserve to be there - where she is now in rehab. I
went over 2 weekends ago and she in herself seems fine, but is having to come to terms
with where she is at! I went with her to the physio session on the Monday morning and
she did manage to move her legs albeit a little but hey she moved them!!!!!. She has
feeling in them. Has a lot of pain and very uncomfortable as lying down all the time as
has some wounds that need to heal before rehab proper gets going.
Jane stayed with her to start with but came back with me in order to get stuff sorted out
before going back over this Friday. I will be going over on the 14 August for the
weekend. With Jane not there its a bit sketchy with info coz I cant grill her but hopefully
know a bit more next week and certainly more when get over there.
Everything is taking lots of time with her rehab - its all very hard stuff - but very
inspiring to see all these souls trying to walk again or come to terms with their accidents
etc. Suppose it all baby steps to her recovery.
No one is saying what the final outcome will be because they don't know - many people
with worse injuries eventually walk and some with almost no signs are wheel chaired. So
its hard to say what will happen. I know she is trying but its going to take months.
She has got access to the internet and likes people
to get in contact with her so if you want to send
an email please do - if you want to send a card her
address is - Alyson Pyrah c/o Room 2 Spinal Unit
Burwood House Hospital, Christchurch,
New Zealand.
Cant really tell more. Other than that all good
over here days are getting longer and warmer !!!
If anyone on Skype we are Jane and James down
under - if not on it get on it its brilliant!!
Will tell more when have more news - say a few
prayers for her.                                     Jane, James and Alyson before the accident

Lots of love to all James xx                                                              13
                                  BIRSTALL BBQ

 A lovely day was in store for the BBQ on Saturday 15th August.
 No rain and plenty of sunshine.
 We had a game of rounders to start, whilst Sarah and co. were preparing the food.
 Men against women, plenty of cheating!! Mainly by the men!!
 Many thanks to Sarah who put on a lovely spread and to the others who slaved
 over a hot BBQ, mainly to get out of playing rounders!!!
 After the food had gone down, we had another game of rounders with two sort of
 equal teams, with yet more cheating though it did finally end in a draw!!
 Marv disappeared for a short while returning with a very heavy rope! “For a tug
 of war” he said we all thought it was to tie Tony up to keep him quiet!!!
 It was like a real family day out, the kids were skipping with some of the women,
 the men were playing tug of war with some of the women, a bit of cheating going
 on again I think.!!
 Neil then filled a coke bottle tied some rope around the neck and started swinging
 it using the rounders poles as targets, which went ok till he broke one, it all went
 quiet after that!!!
 It was a lovely afternoon, a shame there weren’t a few more people, it is amazing
 what you can do with some rope , and a few old fashioned games, we ought to try
 it more often even in our own back gardens, its much nicer and healthier than
 sitting watching the box or on the computer!

To top