BRUNSWICK RAILROAD MUSEUM 40 West Potomac St Brunswick MD 21716 Entry 1 Author Brunswick Railroad Museum and U S National Park Service Title C O Canal Museum Exhibit Description M by bbp18167

VIEWS: 48 PAGES: 2

									BRUNSWICK RAILROAD MUSEUM
40 West Potomac St., Brunswick, MD 21716


Entry #1

Author: Brunswick Railroad Museum and U.S. National Park Service.
Title: C&O Canal Museum Exhibit.
Description: Museum exhibit with panels and artifacts.
Summary: The museum’s exhibit on the C&O Canal includes educational panels and the
following artifacts: wagon tongue components discovered near Brunswick, stool rescued from
Lockhouse 30 in Brunswick after the 1924 flood, oakum for caulking canal boat joints, whiskey
jug, and four historic-era glass bottles found near Brunswick. The second floor of the museum
also contains mule bells, china and a shipping barrel, and a chair from a C&O Canal lockhouse.
The model of the B&O Railroad on the third floor includes the canal from Point of Rocks to
Brunswick.
Location: Brunswick Railroad Museum, 40 West Potomac St., Brunswick, MD 21716.


Entry #2

Author: Various.
Title: Photograph Collection.
Description: Collection of photographs.
Summary: The collection includes photographs of the C&O Canal and associated structures
and people in the Brunswick area and other areas. Also contains photographs taken during the
Civil War and various drawings and prints.
Location: Brunswick Railroad Museum, 40 West Potomac St., Brunswick, MD 21716.


Entry #3

Author: Various.
Title: Bills of Lading.
Description: 4 bills of lading (2 are originals, 2 are photocopies).
Summary: Four bills of lading recording shipments received, from whom, and by whom.
1. Original document. The Canal Towage Company, Bill of Lading, No. 38. Shipped by The
    Consolidation Coal Company on board Canal Boat 67, W. Fisher is master for voyage now
    lying at port of Cumberland and bound for Williamsport, MD, with cargo 115.09 tons R. M.
    COAL to be delivered to Steffey & Finlay. 4 Canal Towage Co. Mules, $4.00. 11 Sept.
    1916.
2. Original document. The Canal Towage Company, Bill of Lading, No. 66. Shipped by The
    Consolidation Coal Company on board Canal Boat 67, W. Fisher is master for voyage now
    lying at port of Cumberland and bound for Georgetown, D.C., with cargo 111.43 tons R. M.
    COAL to W. A. LEETCH, Manager. 4 Canal Towage Co. Mules, $12.00. 15 April 1916.
3. Photocopy. The Canal Towage Company, Bill of Lading, No. 14. Shipped by The
    Consolidation Coal Company on board Canal Boat 98, S. Kelly is master for voyage now
   lying at port of Cumberland and bound for Williamsport, MD, with cargo 108.12 tons R. M.
   COAL to Victor Cushwa & Sons. 3 Boatman’s Mules, $4.50. 1 Canal Towage Co. Mules,
   $1.50. 30 March 1906.
4. Photocopy. Ship order receipt. Bills of Lading. 28 May 1864, RUN OF MINE COAL, by A.
   L. Boose, from Cumberland to Georgetown, on board the boat Mary E. McCoy.
Location: Brunswick Railroad Museum, 40 West Potomac St., Brunswick, MD 21716.


Entry #4

Author: Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company.
Title: Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company Promissory Note.
Description: 1 paper note.
Summary: One printed five-dollar promissory note issued by the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
Company in Frederick to Jacob Markell. The note is printed with images and the following
script: “Nine Months after date THE CHESAPEAKE & OHIO CANAL COMPANY Promise to
pay on Demand at their Office at Frederick, Maryland, to Jacob Markell [signed] or bearer FIVE
DOLLARS with Interest from Date.” The note is signed to Jacob Markell by Mr. M[?], clerk,
and Francis M[?], President. The note is marked: “No. 476, Jany 9 1841.” See the entries of the
Historical Society of Frederick County for similar notes, both issued to Jacob Markell.
Location: Brunswick Railroad Museum, 40 West Potomac St., Brunswick, MD 21716.

								
To top