Cornwall Early Years Inclusion Team
Social Communication and Interaction Support (Autism)
JOB TITLE; Learning Support Assistant (ASD)
GRADE: F (pro rata)
HOURS; 20 hours per week
DEPARTMENT: Individual Needs; Early Years Inclusion Team
Base: Family Services, Walker Lines, Bodmin
Responsible to: The Manager of Individual Needs through Zaidi Cohen (County
Lead Practitioner for Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Early Years Educational
Psychologist), through Pat Kurzfield (County SENCo) through Katy Gerred- Hart
(Assistant County SENCo).
Direct supervisory responsibility: None
Indirect supervisory responsibility: None
Important functional relationships: Parents
Early Years Inclusion Team
Pre-School Setting Staff
School staff & governors
Other LEA staff & advisors
Main purpose of job:
To support the inclusion of an early years child with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder
into an Early Years setting. To support access to the Foundation Stage Curriculum
under the guidance of the Social Communication and Interaction Support Team, and
to work on play, social & communication targets as required. To implement a home
programme with guidance from line managers, to support the child and family.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. To work 1:1 at an early years setting, school, and at home if required, with an early
years child with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
2. To implement strategies under the guidance of the Early Years (ASD) team
alongside setting staff, to promote access to the foundation stage curriculum.
3. To encourage socialisation and relationship building with peers and other adults .
4. To maintain records and to liaise with other involved professionals and Early Years
(ASD) Team to map progress.
5. To attend Early Years Inclusion Team meetings and training as required.
6. To follow the advice and guidance of other LEA staff and advisors as appropriate.
7. To act at all times within the County Council’s equal opportunities, child protection
and health and safety guidelines.
8. To undertake other duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required.
Date revised: 07.01.08 Prepared by: Janet Morris