The Captains Log

Document Sample
The Captains Log Powered By Docstoc
					                                               The Captains Log
October 16/05
After tearful farewells we left the Annapolis Valley and headed for New Glasgow. Needless to say with the hustle and
bustle of getting ready to leave and the emotional drain on one when leaving loved ones we were exhausted (note drawn
faces in our pictures with Holden and Meghan). We arrived in New Glasgow one hour before our intended time so we
pulled into a public parking lot and had a nap.
Arrived at Ray and Joyce Pearce’s to find them awaiting our arrival. Had wine and appetizers and then Joyce made us
a scrumptious meal. We went over old times together.

October 17/05
After a good nights sleep we felt a little more like we belonged to the human race. After breakfast Linda went off to Yoga
(Gaea will be happy about that) with Joyce and Cameron took Ray to a Writer’s Meeting. Met back at the house for
lunch and then we departed for Fredericton. Just past the turn-off to Truro we decided to check to see if Cameron had
his bag with his wallet in it and a thorough search turned up nothing. Called Joyce and had her check the house and
she said it was not in it so had her check their car as Cameron had taken Ray out in it and sure enough it was there.
Joyce got in her car and we turned around and we met half-way. Needless to say we didn’t get to Fredericton until
7:30 p.m. After that Linda suggested that we make a list on our palm-pal and check it twice before we leave a place. I
think this will be the most challenging thing on this trip.
Had a nice visit with Leona and Elliott, Cameron’s second cousin. After a nice meal the girls went off to bed and the
boys stayed up talking until all hours.

Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2005
Linda went to “Curves”, Leona went bowling and Cameron and Elliott sat and talked. Had lunch, then a walk and
then we were off to Quebec.
Elliott thought the drive to St. Ann de Paraly would be about 3 hours but in fact it took us more like 6 hrs. so we
arrived around 8:00 p.m.. We stayed at the Manor D’auth where we had stayed 3 years previously and had such a
wonderful experience. The room was great and they had internet.

Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2005
Started day with a delicious crepes breakfast. Just as good as we remembered. As we only were going to Montreal we
spent the morning catching up on our e-mail, washing hair etc. At noon we checked out, took pictures and headed for
Montreal in the pouring rain.
Arrived at Randy and Diane Harrold’s around 3:00 p.m. Randy had just arrived home from up north so he filled
us in on his visit there. Had a great dinner, showed slides and pictures of each others families and then were off to

Thursday, Oct. 20, 2005
Cameron, Diane and I wondered around the streets of Montreal and ended up in a coffee shop to have coffee and a
pastry. A must while in Montreal. Left around noon for Ottawa.
Arrived in Ottawa 4:00 p.m., did some shopping and then picked up Katherine (Brenda’s daughter) from Staples.
Went back to Katherine and Stijn’s place for a drink of wine and then Stijn took us out for a German meal which
was very good. Went back to their place and played cards.

                                                    Page 2 of 12
Friday, October 21, 2005
Katherine and Stijn went off to work which left us with the house to ourselves. Cameron worked on the e-mail and
Linda caught up on the washing. John and Linda Noble from the diplomatic days came and picked us up for lunch.
After lunch we went on a walk in Ottawa’s Arboretum. It was a beautiful sunny day and we spent a lot of time
catching up on each other’s lives since university . They dropped us back about 4:00 p.m. and we went and picked up
Went to Richard and Kate Marquardt’s for dinner and had a lovely relaxing evening catching up on all the news.

Saturday, October 22, 2005
Headed for Michel and Bernadette Gauthier’s. Bernadette had other commitments so Michel, Cameron and myself
went to the By-Town Market for lunch and shopping. Managed to get the goat’s cheese we love. Back at the Gauthier’s
had a relaxing time and a wonderful salmon dinner executed by Bernadette. Talked about old times and then headed
back to Katherine and Stijn’s.

Sunday, October 23, 2005
Left Katherine and Stijn’s and headed for the Darlington’s in New Orleans. These were our next door neighbours (the
only one’s that came to visit us on Rozinante) when we lived in Blackburn Hamlet in 1973. Had a great brunch
and talk and showed pictures. Their son Jason joined us and boy has he grown! Last time we saw him he was 5 years
old. Left 1:00 p.m. and headed for Brockville to Cameron’s sister Brenda and Tom Dewar. Brenda made a terrific
stew and then we spent the evening playing bridge. Duncan came in to say hi!

Monday, October 24, 2005
Brenda had to work in morning while Duncan had his teeth operated on. We caught up on e-mail and washing etc.
Brenda took me to a shoe maker and I finally got my purse fixed. Just one of those things I didn’t get down before we
left. Had their famous fish and chips including sweet potato fries for dinner. Delicious! Played bridge and got to bed
wee hours of the morning. Like old times when we all lived in Ottawa together.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Had a nice visit with Brenda and then left for Stratford around noon. Went to Don’s Fish and Chips to say goodbye
to Tom and Duncan and have one of their delicious pogos and then were on our way. Managed to get by Toronto not
in rush hour traffic and arrived in Stratford about 5:30 p.m. Found our way to the Duboyce’s and had a great
evening talking, talking, talking.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Took Art and Marg out for lunch and then Cameron, Art and I went for a walk. Marg was still nursing her new
knee. Marg fixed us a terrific dinner even though she was not able to eat because of hospital tests she had to get.
Caught up on old times.

Thursday, October 27, 2005
Left early in the morning for Michigan after Art took us all out for breakfast. No problem at the Sarnia border but
they did say we had to consume the couple bottles of wine we had before we entered Canada again. Stayed at a Days
Inn in Misissing (near Marquette) which had internet, pool, hot tub and sauna. We got a pizza and brought it back
to our room to have with one of our bottles of wine. I think Cameron poured more in my glass than his as I felt very
good afterwards. We took a swim in the pool and then went in the hot tub. Really felt good.

                                                   Page 3 of 12
Friday, October 28, 2005
Drove across Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota and stayed in North Dakota at Great Forks. It is really empty up
there. We arrived tired about 8:00 p.m. to find most hotels full. Apparently there were basketball, hockey and
football games going on. Fortunately the clerk at the Comfort Inn phoned around until he found a place for us to
stay and we were forever grateful. As we had one more bottle of wine to consume, we headed for the grocery store for
some pate, cheese and grapes. This time I poured the wine and made sure Cameron drank his half.

Saturday, October 29, 2005
After a complimentary breakfast we headed up to Winnipeg. It was dark and bleak with houses far and few between
Had a really hard time getting the cell phone to work on the way there. Arrived in Portage la Prairie and met the
Wegleitner’s at their retirement home about 3:00 p.m for the first time. Giselle and Ivan are the parents of Paul, our
daughter Gaea’s life-partner – and boy does it show! He manages to be the spitting image of both of them, which is
darn hard since they don’t look at all alike. Had a great time with Giselle and Ivan. Linda fell in love with their
dog “Maggie”.

November 2 – 7/05
Woke up to our first snow but it didn’t stay around long. While in Calgary we got a few housekeeping chores down
like the car serviced, our hair cut etc. Danny fed us very well - too well. Both Cameron and I gained a few pounds.
We had a really pleasant time visiting with Danny. We also managed to get to High River to visit our friends
Heather and Don and their great family. We even managed to get a little sightseeing in as we went to Drumheller
with Thelma Wright and Steven and family to see all the dinosaurs. Steven rented a large van so we could all go
together, this way we had a really nice visit down and back. Thelma made sure it was like a picnic by bringing coffee
and goodies to eat on the way. Linda managed to get to Curves to try and get off a few of those gained pounds. Had
lunch with Nathan Metzler (Holden’s friend from back in Nova Scotia) where we went over old times. The last night
we were in Calgary we had a wonderful meal of crown lamb barbequed by Danny and our friend Sheryl Noel (whom
we met in the hospital when Gaea was born in Salmon Arm, B.C.) came over and brought cherries jubilee. All had a
good time.

November 8 2005
All good things have to come to an end. We have become very comfortable in Calgary with Danny, and the computer
access had been great, but one needs to move on so we headed for the mountains and Sicamous, B.C., where we had
lived for the first 4 years of Holden’s life. We stayed with our friends Anne and Dave Meakes. We hadn’t seen them
for over 15 years, so we had a lot of catching up to do. We stopped by the house we had lived in for four years and
took some pictures. The place had changed, and yet it hadn’t changed. The condos on the waterfront seemed totally
out of place. Anne had a great home-cooked meal for us including homemade baked brown bread. What a treat!

November 9, 2005
Woke up to the smell of homemade cinnamon buns. Anne is really spoiling us! It was nice and sunny so we took a
drive to Salmon Arm and had lunch, which brought back memories. Linda used to drive that every week to teach
dancing in Salmon Arm. The place she had taught dancing in Sicamous had been made into a museum, and there
was a new large Recreation Centre built beside it. Cameron and Dave sat up to the wee hours talking, and the girls
hit the sack.

November 10, 2005
Anne and Dave gave us apples and grapes off their trees and vines and then we headed towards White Rock, B.C. We
managed to get over the Coquihalla Highway with no snow. We did, however, get really heavy rain, which was not

                                                   Page 4 of 12
that pleasant to drive in. We arrived in Surrey around 5:00 p.m., went to White Rock and found a motel and
called Ella Parsons’. We arranged to pick her up at 6:30 p.m. for dinner. We had a really pleasant time with her
and talked over old times. We had seen her for 20 years and she looked great. She lives in a really attractive
apartment beside her sister’s.

November 24/05
U.S. Thanksgiving was spent with Lorraine Schrock’s extended family. There were 26 adults and 6 children. Barbara
(Lorraine’s sister) took it all in stride and somehow the dinner (everyone contributes) was made and enjoyed by all.
Of course, we ate too much but that goes without saying. We met all of Lorraine’s family and Buck, whom we hadn’t
seen for 30 years. Spent the evening at Todd’s (Buck’s and Barbara’s son). Nice roaring fire and Todd, who is a
massage therapist put Cameron and Linda’s back bone and neck in alignment (Thank you Todd! Things have worked
right ever since). Met Todd’s girlfriend Rebecca.

November 25/05
Went back to Barbara’s for brunch (the whole family again!). After brunch went for a nice walk with Lynn, Kelly
(Buck and Barbara’s daughters) Lorraine and two dogs and a baby. After walk we said our goodbyes and then went
back to Lorraine’s. Sat up talking until 1:00 a.m.

November 26/05
Took Lorraine out to Polson for brunch. Lorraine went back to Barbara’s so she could spend some time with her
nephews, and Cameron and I caught up on correspondence etc.
When Lorraine arrived back around 8:00 p.m. the snow had started. It was decided we should leave the next day and
take two days to get to Eugene, Oregon.

November 27/05
Had a nice breakfast, packed up and made a lunch and then we were on our way. Lorraine assured us that we would
drive out of the snow, and she was right. We drove as far as Kennewick, Wash, where we stayed at our first LaQuinta,
which we really liked although it was a bit difficult to get on the internet. Ate our sandwiches and LaQuinta
provided a nice hot cider and soup to go with it. Tried to swim in their pool but found it too cold, so just went in
the hot tub.

November 28/05
We had plenty of time to get to Oregon so Cameron edited our pictures so we could put them on the website. Linda
took this opportunity to wash her hair. Left around 11:00 a.m. and headed for Eugene where Cameron’s relative
Charlie and wife Loraine live. Driving along the Columbia River was beautiful. Arrived around 5:00 p.m. and
Loraine made us a great dinner. We sat around and talked until about 10:00 p.m. We couldn’t access the internet
on our computer so Cameron e-mailed using Loraine’s computer.

November 29/05
Charlie made us porridge for breakfast which tasted mighty good. Better still, the rain had stopped and the sun was
shining. We then left for a drive along the coast. Charlie drove their Subaru, and he proved quite a road warrior!
Drove up to Waldport where we had lunch and then we drove back down the coast. Loraine made us a great halibut
dinner! Talked until 10:00 p.m.

                                                  Page 5 of 12
November 30/05
Had a leisurely breakfast with Lorraine and Charlie and then packed up and said our good-byes. We headed out and
Charlie had to chase us as we had forgot Cameron’s red yeast rice pills. Heading down I 5 we kept thinking once we
hit California we wouldn’t have to worry about the snow which seemed to be chasing us. But no such luck! There
seemed to be snow-laden mountain pass after snow-laden mountain pass. Just a small amount of snow luckily.
When we arrived at Redding, California, we felt we were homefree. Stayed in Willow for the night at a Days Inn
which we wouldn’t recommend to anyone. Couldn’t get the internet to work, which is very frustrating as we use the
Map Quest to map out our way each night.

December 1/05
Woke up to rain! Where is sunny California? It was also windy and as we approached San Francisco the rain and
wind became worse. We were going to look at a couple of sailboats on the way, but it was raining so hard we decided
to head straight to Uncle Frank’s. We arrived about 1:00 p.m. to find Aunt Rose there as well. Had a nice raw
vegetable lunch and looked at pictures and talked about old times. It was great. Uncle Frank made us a great
Martini which went straight to Linda’s head. He ordered Chinese and then all the family that could come came. Phil
(Shirley’s husband); Jennifer, Jason and Baby (Diane’s daughter and family); Diane and Doug. It was a great meal.
We talked old times and showed pictures. We really enjoyed ourselves.

December 2/05
Woke up to Sunny California!! Aunty Rose took us all to breakfast and then we said our farewells and she returned
to Stockton. Uncle Frank and ourselves then took off to San Francisco (Alameda) to see some yachts. We had a great
day. We saw two Freedom yachts which did not turn our crank. We then went to Sausalita to see a Brewer 40. Going
this short distance seemed to take us half a day. Anyway, we liked the Brewer but were worried about the plugs in the
teak decks. Some of them were missing and water was getting into the holes. We then took Uncle Frank out to lunch
at an Italian Restaurant overlooking the water. We really enjoyed ourselves and after lunch took a walk along the
main street. On the way back to Stockton we stopped atop a hill overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge. The sun was
setting and it was really beautiful. Arrived back at Stockton around 5:00 p.m. after a very full day. Uncle Frank
might be 84 years old, but you would never know it. He was climbing all over the sail boats and had no trouble
keeping up to us. Looked at photos, talked old times and listened to jazz music. All in all a great day.

December 3/05
 Had breakfast with Uncle Frank and then headed for Oxnard. Another sunny day so took this opportunity to stop
at a picnic area and have our lunch sitting outside. What a treat! Arrived at cousin Frank’s (Uncle Frank’s
youngest boy) around 5:00 p.m. We hadn’t seen Frank since he was 11 years old, 39 years ago!! Met his wife
Dianne who made us a great dinner. We find the houses in California very cold so we had them put on their
fireplace and boy, did Linda enjoy that. At this point we are the furthest away from Nova Scotia that we’re going to
be on this trip.

December 4/05
Frank runs a house-call mechanic, so we retained him to service our car. We had never heard of this kind of service
before, but he travels from car to car with his customized service car. Like a traveling garage. Have wrench will travel.
We then all drove up to Ojai for lunch. This is a really interesting area. Ate in an outdoor café and then meandered
over to a second hand bookstore that is roofless. Looking for books in the great outdoor was different. They said the
rain usually comes straight down so the books don’t get wet. Drove back to the coast and had a walk on the dunes.
Ended the evening with a lovely veggie and tofu stir-fry made by Dianne.

                                                    Page 6 of 12
December 5/05
Woke up early so we could say good-bye to Frank before he headed out. Had breakfast with Dianne and then she took
us to the shopping centre so we could do some errands.
We really feel we got to know Dianne and Frank and really enjoyed ourselves with them.
Headed off to Bakersfield around 11:30 a.m. to visit Lewis and Darlene Powers. Stopped for a picnic lunch at
Gorman. Arrived at Power’s around 2:30 p.m. to be informed that Allen Jess from Edmonton, Alta. had just called
and that he would be stopping by tomorrow. What a coincidence. Had a great dinner and talked over old times. They
have a little dog Nikki, which is the apple of Darlene’s eye.

December 6/05
Woke up to Nikki licking our faces. Had breakfast and then tried to catch up on our e-mail. Went for a walk with
Lewis as Darlene had just had a knee operation. Allen arrived around 3:45 p.m. and we had a good visit; then he
worked on his genealogy with Lewis. We all went out to a great Mexican restaurant. It was two tacos and a free
Margarita night so we had to wait for a table but it was worth it. Great food and Margarita’s. We really had a great
time. Allen left and then we sat up and talked for awhile before hitting the sack.

December 7/05
Got up early, had breakfast and then left 9:00 a.m. for Austin, Texas. We drove just a short distance when we
spotted a sign for Medjol Dates. Now, Cameron’s favourite food is Medjol dates, which come from California and
which we had been trying to find in the grocery store without success, so we thought we had died and gone to heaven
when we saw this sign. We ended up getting a 5 lb. box for $25.00 and were they ever fresh!
Were really interested in the windmills and solar power in Tehachapi, Cal. There were thousands of them. What a
way to go. Drove as far as Phoenix. We started having trouble with our car heating up and when we stopped to check
it we discovered the reservoir empty. We clearly had a problem. Had a new fish for dinner (Tilapia from Africa)
which was really tasty.

Dec. 8/05
Called Subaru in Phoenix, but they were too busy to see us so we thought we would chance driving the car to Tucson.
Stopped at a Tourist Bureau where they called the Subaru Dealer in Tucson and arranged for them to see us when we
arrived. We spent the rest of the day at the Subaru Dealers, and they thought they had corrected the problem. They
treated us very nicely. We drove away about 4:30 p.m. and drove about 40 miles and the car started heating up
again. This time we made it as far as Las Cruses, NM. Found a Comfort Inn where we drowned our sorrows in the
swimming pool and hot tub/sauna.
Arizona, New Mexico and Texas have warning signs “Watch for Blowing Dust” and “Can be Zero Visibility”. I guess
you don’t have to have snow to have road hazards.

Dec. 9/05
Located a Subaru Dealer in El Paso. They said they could take us in the morning as they had openings. We tried to
drive there but the car kept heating up so we called AAA and they said they would send a flat bed. Took until 11:30
a.m. before they arrived and it was almost 1:00 p.m. when we arrived at Subaru. Of course, they were now busy and
would take us as soon as possible. They went out of their way to get things done as fast as possible for us so we could
get on our way, but again we didn’t get away until 4:45 p.m. This time they assured us that they had the problem
fixed. It turned out to be a faulty radiator cap. Imagine such a little thing causing so much trouble. Drove as far as
Fort Stockton. Called Marie and Brian to let them know we would not be reaching Austin when planned.
We have been passing cotton fields. They look like snow balls on small bushes. Linda loves the different types of
cactus. She tried to get pictures of all different kinds.

                                                   Page 7 of 12
Dec. 10/05
Today we start with no car troubles! Such a relief. Came across some more windmill power. Texas reminds one of
Alberta. Instead of wheat fields there is sage brush but oil wells are all there and cattle. Seems to be lots of goat farms
on 290 towards Austin. Arrived at Marie’s and Brian’s around 3:30 p.m. Sat around and talked and drank beer.
They had to babysit for Christine so we all went over there for the evening. Went to bed early as all the car problems
had taken a lot out of Cameron.

Dec. 11/05
Slept in. Felt good. After breakfast it was decided we would take a trip to the Natural Bridge Caverns. Took a picnic
lunch. The caverns were 72 degrees with 99% humidity. Really enjoyed the tour and the exercise felt good. Linda was
looking forward to getting back as Marie said she could cook dinner. We had barbequed steak, potatoes and veggies
and a salad. Merlot topped it all off. Cameron showed Marie and Brian pictures of our trip while Linda prepared
dinner. After dinner we went for a walk around the neighbourhood to see all the Christmas Lights. Felt really funny
not having snow. They give prizes to the best display, and they were quite something those displays.

Dec. 12/05
Marie was off to work early so we had breakfast with Brian and then headed out about 9:00 a.m. to avoid rush
hour. Stopped to get gas before we left town. While there a small kitten started crying and it was crawling into the
wheel wells of the cars. Linda managed to get it out but it just ran right back into another one. We were getting
desperate about what to do with this kitten because if we left it, it would surely get run over. Finally the owner came
out and said he would look after it. We were going to take it if we couldn’t have found a solution even though it
would have been really inconvenient.
Through Texas into Louisiana. You could sure see the effects of Katrina. Blue plastic covering holes in roofs was
everywhere. Took the # 12 by-pass around New Orleans and then decided to call it a night. Unfortunately, we didn’t
bargain on all the service people taking the rooms in the hotels (the ones that were still operating). We thought we were
never going to find a room but finally at Mobile, Alabama we did find a room. It was about 10:00 p.m. by now, so
we ate and went to bed.

Dec. 13/05
There was a Moody 419 in Pensacola we wanted to see, so called the brokers and arranged to see it. The broker
insisted on coming and picking us up and taking us down there which took up precious time because we were to make
it to Gainesville, Fla. By 6:00 p.m. We finally made it to see the boat and boy! What devastation! The condos were
completely washed out and the sides blown out. The palm trees were perpendicular to the ground. We weren’t that
taken with the boat so on we went on towards Gainesville.
We ended up arriving around 7:00 p.m., and Millie and Bob were waiting to whisk us off to one of their favourite
fish restaurants. Bob and Millie looked really good. Bob showed us pictures of us when we were in our twenties, and
he said we looked like “movie stars” Millie made some lemon pie which was delicious. We’re just being fed too well
and the scales reflects it. We really liked their place. It had a forest in the back with all sorts of birds and animals.

Dec. 14/05
Today is Bob’s 87th birthday, but he doesn’t look or act that old. He is off to a meeting, so Millie took us over to their
clubhouse and we worked out on the machines. Later when Bob came back we went for a walkl behind the clubhouse
where signs “Beware of Alligators) ares posted. Millie had fallen and was bruised, so she did not come. Went out to
Nero’s, Bob and Millie’s favourite Italian restaurant. Sat around showing pictures and talking old times. After
dessert and coffee we went to bed.

                                                     Page 8 of 12
Dec. 15/05
Gaea’s 28th birthday! Had a really pleasant breakfast in the sunroom.We called Gaea to wish her A Happy Birthday”
and she said they had a snowstorm and dance classes had to be cancelled. Bob had arranged for us to go on a tour of
the Hunter factory so we headed up there after delivering Millie to a Christmas party. It is really hard to get into the
Christmas Spirit when it seems like spring. After touring the Hunter factory we decided it was not the boat for us.
We then headed towards Tampa to see Joel and Barbara. Arrived in Brandon about 4:30 p.m., and Joel came to get us
so we could get through the gates. They live in a gated community and have a really nice place although they don’t
use the swimming pool. Joel barbequed steak and after dinner Linda had a nice bath. It was really nice to see both of

December 16, 2005
Barbara made us a really great breakfast. Made an appointment to see an Islander 41 in Tarpon Falls. It took us
forever to get there as there is so much traffic. Put me off living in a city forever!! The Islander was in terrible shape,
and it really wasn’t worth driving that far to see it. It was a real downer. On the way back we decided to go to St.
Petersburg to see our old stamping grounds. After fighting lots of traffic we finally arrived at the marina we lived in
for two months. Needless to say, everything had changed. The marina was twice the size, and you could no longer
live aboard. There seemed to be so many people everywhere. After walking around we jumped in the car and headed for
Palmetto to see a Tayana Vancouver 42. It turned out to be an old fashioned boat which didn’t have much room in
it. The broker, however, took us to see a Morgan 41 Classic which we really liked. It had two heads and a separate
shower!! Looked like a larger version of “Rozinante”. Our drive back to the Schector’s took us 1 ½ hours. It takes a
long time to get anywhere.

December 17, 2005
Were so tired from looking at boats yesterday we decided to take a day of rest and catch up on housekeeping, e-
mailing and diary writing. Made some calls to Canada as they have free calling. Joel barbequed spareribs for
dinner, which were delicious. Made some appointments to see boats on the east coast for Monday.

December 18, 2005
Had a restful Sunday. Went for a walk and generally caught up on energy. Cameron and Joel played a game of chess.
We also decided that it would not be the right time to get a boat what with the situation out west not resolved. Even
though we had found a boat we would like it did not feel right under the circumstances. We decided that we would
head back to Canada and wait things out. Linda was very upset with that decision but realized it was the logical
thing to do.

December 19, 2005
Headed off to the east coast early. Decided to take a shortcut, which turned out to be a big mistake. We ended up in
bumper to bumper traffic. We arrived at the first broker, and he showed us a few boats which we were not very
impressed with. The second broker, however, took us to Melbourne to see a C&C 39 which we really liked. The Morgan
and the C&C both fit our criteria of what we wanted in a boat and they were both nicely priced. It was late when we
finished seeing boats so decided to get a motel. We had a hard time getting a motel with internet. It was like we
weren’t in the states but some developing country. We ended up staying in a Motel 6, a tobacco smelly place but
wewere tired of looking. You could see the effects the hurricanes had had on the area.

                                                     Page 9 of 12
December 20, 2005
Because we didn’t have internet we couldn’t set up any appointments to see yachts. We drove to Vero Beach but
couldn’t get anywhere so decided to drive back to Joel and Barbara’s. Stopped at a Fruit Stand and bought all sorts
of fruit and veggies. When we arrived back at Joel and Barbara’s, it was decided to go out for Italian.

December 21, 2005
Sandra (Cameron’s sister) called and invited us for Christmas, so we plan to arrive there on Friday. Our nightwear
smelled so bad from the hotel we stayed in that I had to wash them. Gaea called and invited us to come and stay
with her and Paul at their B&B as one tenant had moved out. Cameron called Holden to see if he was okay with
that and he said he was so we will be living in New Minas when we get back. Linda seems to have adjusted to the idea
of going back to Canada. She will be able to help Gaea with the dance school which will mean an easier transition.

December 22, 2005
Last day in Tampa. Barb and Linda went out to buy some tops for the girls back home. Had a great time. Took a nice
long walk and Joel prepared a wonderful salmon dinner. Played poker after dinner and generally had a good time.

December 23, 2005
Two days until Christmas, and it hardly seems like it with the warm weather. Left early to go see the C&C 39 again
as we really like it. Because of Christmas traffic we couldn’t make our appointment on time, but we did call on our
cell phone and let the broker know. Took one good last look at the C&C. Were tempted to put an offer on it with
conditions of waiting for the situation out west to solve itself but thought better of it. Arrived at Sandra’s and
Dave’s around 5:00 p.m. loaded with fresh squeezed orange juice (best we have ever tasted). We were instructed by
Sandra to stay in the car until she brought her great dane Scotia out to meet us. He seemed to think we were okay so
we got out of the car and went in the house to meet the rest of the gang. Randy and Butterfly (his dog) were there and
Tyler (Sandra’s grandson). Sat around talking for awhile and then hit the sack.

December 24, 2005
Christmas Eve! All the family came over (Scotty, Leanne, Tyler and Tiffany, & Randy). I helped Sandra prepare the
food. She serves a lot of finger foods and everyone had a good time. Linda had fun teasing Tyler about his gift from
Randy. We all went to bed early so Santa would come.

December 25, 2005
Christmas Day! Nice and warm. Randy made eggs benedict which were really good. It took most of the morning to
open the gifts and I don’t know who was more excited, Sandra or the kids. David, Melissa, Kayla and David Jr.
(Sandra’s other boy) joined us for Christmas dinner as well as Leane’s parents. Leane’s father is a Democrat, so he
and Cameron had fun with all the Republicans and Bushies in the family. Stuffed we all sat around and visited
and then headed off for bed.

December 26, 2005
Discovered that the U.S. does not celebrate Boxing Day. But they do have lots of bargains and they love to shop.
Sandra was out at the crack of dawn and back before we got up. David went with us to Daytona to go to a Sailing
shop to get something with a gift certificate we had been given by Katherine and Steyn. We ended up getting two rain
suits for the future boat. Lots of traffic. Arrived back to have the traditional turkey sandwich. Took a walk with
Scotia and Sandra. It was just nice out. Did not have to wear a jacket.

                                                  Page 10 of 12
December 27, 2005
After breakfast, Sandra took us to a store which has everything 70% discount. Prices were so good we tended to get a
lot of clothes to take back as gifts. We also treated ourselves. We then went over to the new French Village they were
building and walked around. It was really nice. Sandra made the traditional turkey soup which was really good.
Dave fried eggplant for us which was simply delicious. Spent the last evening in Florida talking over old times on
Rozinante, which brought back many memories. It was really nice to see all the kids and their kids after so many
years. All in all we had a great time.

December 28, 2005
We are heading north today. Randy brought us quite a lot of cheese to take with us which was much appreciated. It
was really nice weather and we had our usual picnic for lunch, and it didn’t start raining until we hit North
Carolina. Stayed in a really nice place (Microtel) that gave free phoning anywhere in the States so we spent the
evening calling all the people we had stayed with. We expect the days will be getting colder now.

December 29/05
Headed up north about 9:00 a.m. Things were going well until we started cruising mountain passes. The car started
heating up again. We just couldn’t believe this was happening again! Decided to stop at the first large place we hit
which turned out to be Roanoke, Virginia. They claimed they were the only Subaru Dealers on I-81 so it is a good
thing we stopped when we did. This time the water pump was defective. Because our car was a 2006 they did not have
the part in stock so had to order one in. This meant a nights stay in Roanoke. They supplied us with a rental car
and we went to Amerisuites which had a indoor swimming pool etc. The rotten thing about it all was that the
weather was beautiful for traveling and could we count on it not snowing before we reached Canada.

December 30/05
Still in Roanoke. We were told that the water pump would be here about 2:00 p.m. and that they would have us back
on the road by 5:00 p.m. It looks like we will make Brockville, Ont. and be able to spend New Years with Brenda
(Cameron’s sister), Tom and family afterall. We decided to go watch a movie while we were waiting. “Narnia” was
out pick and it started at 2:30 p.m. What we didn’t realize was that it was over 3 hours long so we ended up not
seeing the last part of the movie but the good news was that we did get our car and were on the road by 5:15 p.m.
after a real scare. They had originally told us that it wasn’t the water pump and that maybe our motor would have
to be replaced which meant we would have to wait until Monday (Jan. 2) before anything could be done. Linda was
not happy!! In fact she has never been so upset and then relieved when they said it was an air bubble in the system
and the car was okay to go after all. We managed to make it to the Pennsylvania border which left us in a good
position to make it to Brockville the next day.

December 31/05
Last day of 2005 and we are well on our way to Canada. We only hit a bit of snow around Syracuse, NY where they
say it snows all the time. We were sure happy when we passed the border into Canada. With all of the car trouble we
had had it sure was nice to be back in Canada. Arrived in Brockville around 4:30 p.m. in time to help Duncan
(Cameron’s nephew) celebrate his birthday. Stayed up until midnight when we had champagne and hugs. Was pretty
beat so went to bed.

                                                   Page 11 of 12
January 1/06
Tom made us all eggs benedict for breakfast which were delicious. Tom, Brenda, Cameron, and Linda played bridge
all afternoon. Brenda made a great pork roast dinner and then we played bridge the rest of the night. Brought back
memories of when we both lived in Ottawa and got together regularly to play bridge.

January 2/06
Linda made pork dip with the left over pork, Caesar salad and fries from Don’s finished off the meal. We played
bridge all night.

January 3/06
Last day in Brockville before we headed out to Nova Scotia. Had fish and chips from Don’s which is a must every
time we come to Brockville and then we spent the evening over at Tom’s brother’s Gary and his wife Pam. Weather is
cool but no snow yet.

January 4/06
After a pleasant breakfast with Tom and Brenda we headed out. The day was cloudy but no snow. Reached
Edmunston around 5:00 p.m. and found the hotels high with Edmunston being a ski resort. It was 15 below which
was a bit of a shock to our systems. When we were in Quebec the “Check Engine” light came on which meant we
couldn’t use our cruise control anymore. Cameron checked the manual and it said if the light was flashing it
wasn’t that serious and to get it checked by a Subaru Dealer to get it turned off. We just couldn’t believe that
something else was wrong with the car.

January 5/06
Last day on the road. It was -16 C when we left Edmunston. At this point we were wondering why we came back to
Canada. However, as we traveled towards Nova Scotia the weather became warmer and as we went across the new
Brunswick, Nova Scotia border the sun was shining and it was a lovely day. Arrived at Gaea’s and Paul’s around
4:45 p.m. Gaea had our room fixed up really nice and she prepared us a lovely dinner. Paul had flown off to Seattle
that morning. It seemed really odd to be back in Nova Scotia instead of sailing away on our yacht.

January 6/06 to June 20/06
We continue to stay in Nova Scotia, Linda and Cameron helping out Gaea with the dance school, Cameron writing
and both Linda and Cameron trying to take off the 10 lbs. they put on while traveling around North America. We
call this “The Winter That Never Was” because it was so mild and Nova Scotia got almost no snow. We were able to
walk down in the ravine by Gaea’s place every day. We have seen all our friends and relatives and we even got to vote
in the last Provincial election. Gaea had her first Recital as Director of Cadance and she did a smashing job.
Holden and Meghan are busy making preparations for their forthcoming wedding on September 9/06. We have had
many more problems with our new car and been towed twice so Subaru has agreed to give us a new car and retire the
old one as a bad deal. We were very glad we were not traveling during this time.

How long we’ll be here we do not know but as soon as our affairs out west are finalized we will be leaving to
purchase a sailboat. We will let you all know as soon as that happens.

                                                  Page 12 of 12

Shared By: