RESUME OF CURRICULUM VITAE
NAME: PROFESSOR JOB ISAAC JONDIKO OGOCHE
I am professor of Chemistry at the Maseno University teaching both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students in Organic and
I do research in natural products Chemistry. Currently my major interests are in the analysis of chemical pollutants, biologically
active compounds found in herbal and commercial plants in Kenya as well as synthesis of useful organic or organmetallic
compounds. The laboratories at Maseno University and ICIPE in Nairobi and the departments of mines and geology of the ministry
of Natural Resources enable me to analyse both inorganic and organic pollutants arising from industries and agricultural effluents.
I have done consultancy for Pyrethrum Board of Kenya, Sugar Industries, Kisumu Municipality and Research for Kenya Marine
Research Institute on environmental problems. The problems cover pesticides, petroleum products, heavy metals and water quality
in the effluents.
NAME: Job Isaac Jondiko-Ogoche
DATE OF BIRTH: November 25th, 1949
PLACE OF BIRTH: Homa Bay District, Kenya
MARITAL STATUS: Married with five children; Born 1976, 1978, 1980, and 1986 and 1988
ADDRESS: Maseno University College
P.O. Box 333
SCHOOL\UNIVERSITY PERIOD QUALIFICATION
Gendia Primary School 1958 - 1966 C.P.E
Agoro Sare Secondary School 1967 - 1970 E.A.C.E. Div. one
Homa Bay High School 1971 - 1972 E.A.A.CE
Kenyatta University College 1973 ? 1975 Diploma in Education
University of Nairobi 1975 ? 1978 Bachelor of Science
Nottingham University 1980 ? 1983 ?PhD In Chemistry
EMPLOYER ADDRESS PERIOD POSITION
Teachers Service Private Bag July 1978 - Graduate Teacher
Commission NAIROBI Dec.1978
The International Centre of Box 30197 1979 - 1983 Graduate Research
Insect Physiology & Ecology NAIROBI Scholar
The ICIPE Box 30197 ?1984 - 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow
Kenyatta University March 1988 - July
Box 43844 Nairobi Lecturer
University of Nairobi Box 30197 August 1988 -July Lecturer
Kenyatta University Box 43844 Nairobi August 1989- June Senior Lecturer
Maseno University College Private Bag July,1992-1995 ?Associate Professor
Maseno University Private Bag 2000 - up to date Professor of
EMPLOYER PERIOD RESPONSIBILITY
Maseno University College 1992 -1995 Head of Chemistry Department
1992- upto date Board Member of Institute of Institute of
Research & Postgraduate studies
1992 - to date Chairman of Faculty of Science
2003 to 2006 Coordinator of Foundry Equipment
(1) Topics Researched from 1979 up to date:-
(a) Insecticidal Principles of Pyrethrum:
(b) Mosquito larvicides in Spilanthes mauritiana and Albizia coriaria
(c) Synthetic work on pyrethrines found in Pyrethrum and aggregation phenomenoes of fir bark beetles.
(d) Terpenoids and carotenoids found in Bixa Orellana
(e) Insect antifeedants from several Kenyan Plants.
(f) Chemical basis of resistance in Cowpea to stem borer moth.
(g) Degradation of Pesticides in Western Kenya.
AGENCY PERIOD PURPOSE/AMOUNTS
ICIPE 1980 - 1983 PhD. studies at Nottingham, England
Japanese Society for Promotion of Science 1987 - 1988 Research Fellowship at Tokyo University
International Foundation of Science 1990 - 1991 Research Grant, US$ 10,000
Kenyatta University 1991 - 1992 Research Grant. 120,000/=
International Atomic Energy Agency 1992 - date Research Grant US$ 250,000
Pyrethrum Board of Kenya 1900 - 1991 Research Grant Ksh.100,000/=
Maseno University College 1993 -1995 Research Grant Ksh.l00,000/=
Maseno University 2001-2002 Research Grant Ksh 80,000/=
AICAD 2005-2008 Research Grant US $ 45,000.
VICRES 2006-2009 Research Grant US$ 43,000.
RPSUD 2008 Research Grant US$ 6,700.
HELB 2007-2008 Research Grant Ksh 3,000,000./=
AGENCY TITLE OF CONSULTANCY/YEAR
Dominion Company Environment impact assessment/2004
LVEMP Research proposal./2002
POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SUPERVISION
STUDENT DEGREE PERIOD THESIS TITLE
A. W. Wanyonyi M.Sc. 1990- 1992 Phytochemical and Biological studies of Extracts of flower head, of
Peter O. Omolo MSc 1990-1992 Nutritional Evaluations of weeds fed to fish in Western Kenya
Akinyi Syprine M.Sc. 1989-1991 Studies on Pheromones and other Semiochemicals of the African
Machoka A. Kingori ?M.Sc. 1990-1992 Flavonoids from the roots of Tephrosia emoroides and their
Antifeeding effects on Larval of the spothed stalk borer,Chilo
Muniru K. Tsanno MSc 1990-1992 Bioassay Guided Chromatographic Isolation and Structural
Evaluation of Antifeeding compound, against Chilo partellus
(swinhoe) Found in the fruits of Elaeodendron buchanani.
Z. Getenga AA. PhD BB. 1993-2000 CC. Study of the Degradation of Dimethoate and malathione using
Radio scintillation (Research in Progress)
Beatrice Ogindo Ph.D 2000-2005 Pathogens which cause Water borne disease in Lake Victoria shores
Andrew Andayi MSc. 2002-2003 Phytochemistry of Erythrina sp.
Selwyn Aloo MSc. 2003-2004 Biological Active Compounds found in Aloe sp.
Thomas Nyahanga MSc 2005-2008 Biologically active compounds found in Toddalia asiatica
Dorothy Akinyi MSc 2004-2007 Mosquito repellency and Larvicidal activity of essential oil In seeds
of Annatto Bixa orellana
(i) TECHNICAL REPORTS
1. Isolation of ingredients of Pyrethrum Exact. ICIPE ANNUAL REPORTS 1974.
2. Larvicidal Activity of Methanol Extract of the Bark of Albizia Coriaria ICIPE ANNUAL REPORT 1979.
3. Shootfly Ovipositor-deterring pheromone. ICIPE ANNUAL REPORT 1980.
4. Isolation and structural Elucidation of Mosquito Larvicidal Principles in Extract of Spilanthes mauritiana. ICIPE ANNUAL
5. Structural Determination of Amides as potent Mosquito Larvicides Found in Spilanthes mauritiana ICIPE Annual Report 1985
6. Chromatographic Quantitative Analysis of pyrethrosin and pyrethrins in pyrethrum products and Related Extracts. Pyrethrum
Board. 1992 Nakuru, Kenya.
7. Japanese Patent No. 2.233686.1990. Biologically active compounds found in Elaeodendron buchananii.
8. Job Isaac Ogoche Jondiko, Jama L.M. Malarat and D.Rocheleau (1992) Farmer/Researcher Collaborative Approach to Rural
Development: Final Project Report. Nairobi. IDRC.
(II) PAPERS PRESENTED AT CONFERENCES/SEMINARS/WORKSHOPS
1. Job Isaac Jondiko(1981) Novel Synthesis of Natural Rethrolones, the Alcohol portions of Insecticidal Pyrethrins?, presented at
2.Job Isaac Jondiko(1985). Isolation and structural Determination of N-isobutyl amides Potent Mosquito Larvicides found in
spilanthes mauritiana at ICIPE Annual Conference, April, 1985, at University of Nairobi.
3. Job Isaac Jondiko: Mosquito Larvides from Spilanthes mauritiana presented at
(i) The 18th IUPAC Symposium of National Products at the Hague, Netherlands August, 1986.
(ii) Natural products Conference at Nottingham University, July, 1986.
4. Job Isaac Jondiko: Allelochemicals of Resistant Cowpea Cultivar at:
(i) ICIPE Annual Conference, Nairobi, April, 1986.
(ii) Tokyo University, Tokyo, May, 1987
5. Job Isaac Jondiko (1992) Croton megalocarpus Hutch Seed Oil. 15th Chemistry Conference in Africa. Gaberone July, 27th - 31st
6. Job Isaac Jondiko(1987) A new Neolognan isolated from the stem of Piper capense 23rd - 30th September, 1987 . University of
Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana.
7. Job Isaac Jondiko(19988). Enzyme Assisted Synthesis of Seudenol: Second NAPRECA Symposium on Natural Products and
workshop on development of Databases; September, 12th - 16th 1988, Nairobi Kenya.
8. Job Isaac Jondiko(1990) A New Insect Antifeedant, Neolignan Isolated from the stem of Piper Capense L. Third NAPRECA
SYMPOSIUM ON Natural Products; Research and Development of Plant Based Drugs. September, 23rd - 30th 1990, Kumasi,
9. Job Isaac Jondiko(1992) Neolignans of Piper capense. Fourth NAPRECA symposium on Natural Products. December, 16th –
19th, 1992, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
10. Job Isaac Jondiko (1989) Natural Products Research in Kenya. F.E. C. S. Fifth International Conference on Chemistry and
Biotechnology of Biologically Active Natural Products. September, 18th - 23rd, 1989, Varna, Bulgaria.
11.Job Isaac Jondiko(1986) Croton megalocarpus Hutch Seed oil lst NAPRECA national Symposium 27th November, 1986,
12. Job Isaac Jondiko(1991). Bioassay Guided isolation of Natural Products from Kenyan Plants. IFS, NAPRECA WORKSHOP.
December, 9th - 21st 1991, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
13. Job Isaac Jondiko(1991) Mosquito Larvides from Spilanthes mauritiana second Reunion of Latin America Network of
Chemical Technology, April, 23rd - 26th 1991, Campinas, Brazil.
14. Job Isaac Jondiko(2000). Nutritional Evaluation of Botanical Supplementary Fish Feeds in Western Kenya. Sub-Regional
Symposium on conservation of the Biodiversity of lakes: Application of Biotechnology and Aquaculture, Kisumu, Kenya. 2000.
15. Job Isaac Jondiko(1991). Neolognans from Piper capense and their antifeeding activities against Chilo partellus larvae. Pan
African seminar on Aromatic and Essential Oils, November, 20th - 23rd 1991.Brazzavile Congo
16. ob Isaac Jondiko(2000). Proposal for Poverty Reduction Among the People in Kenyan Gulf Region Through Sustainable
Programme of Good Water Quality Management. Workshop on Sustainable Environmental Management for Poverty Alleviation in
Lake Victoria Basin. 27-29th March 2000. Maseno University, Kenya.
17. Job Isaac Jondiko (2003) Role of Supervisor in Postgraduate Proposal Implementation and Thesis Writing. Workshop on
Towards Harmonising of Postgraduate Training Through Improved Student Supervisor Relationship. 24-25th April 2003. Maseno
18. Job Isaac Jondiko(2004). Resolution of 4S (+) Allethrolone via Pig Liver Esterase and
Chemical Inversion. The 9th International Conference in Africa on Chemistry Towards
Disease and Poverty Eradication. 2-7th August 2004. Arusha. Tanzania.
19.Job Isaac Jondiko(2004). Amides and Indole Alkaloids Found in Spilanthes mauritiana
The 9th International Conference in Africa on Chemistry Towards Disease and Poverty
Eradication. 2-7th August 2004. Arusha. Tanzania.
20. Job Isaac Jondiko (2004). The Fate of Malathion and Dimethoate and the Implication in Horticultural Development in Kenya.
The Inaugural Conference of African Network for Chemical Analysis of Pesticides for a Better Environment, Public Health and
Competitive Agricultural and Aquatic Exports. 8-11th August 2004. Arusha, Tanzania
.21.Job Isaac Jondiko,Thomas Nyahanga, Jennifer Orwa,Rwaichi Minja, and Mateete
Bekunda(2007). Toddalia asiatica: A potential source of antimalarials and repellent
compounds suitable for malarial control.at the International NAPRECA Srymposuim on
Drugs Discovery from African Flora at Hotel Africana , Kampala, Uganda. 22-26th July
22. Job Isaac Jondiko(2007). Research and development of Toddalia asiatica and its
potential for drug development at stakeholders’ workshop to commemorate the 5th African
traditional medicine day on 29th August 2007 at KEMRI HQ. Nairobi,Kenya.
1. Dismas A. Otieno, Isaac Jondiko, Phillip G. McDowell and Ference J. Kezdy. The Quantative Analysis of the Pyrethrins by high
Pressure Liquid Chromatograph. J. Chromatographic Science, 1982, 20,566.
2. Isaac J. O. Jondiko and Gerald Pattenden. A New approach to Rethrolone Synthesis. J. Chem. Soc., Perkin. Trans. I, 1983, 467.
3. W. Lwande, A. Hassanali, P.W. Njoroge, M.D Bentley, F.Monache and J.I. Jondiko. A New 6-a-Hydroxypherocarpan with
Insect Antifeedant and Antifungal properties from the Roots of Tephrosia hildebrandtti. J. Insect Sci and Its Applic., 1985, 6, 537.
4. Isaac J. Jondiko. A Mosquito larvicide found in Splanthes mauritiana, Phytochemistry, 1986,25,2289.
5. Isaac J. Jondiko, PhD Thesis. The Natural pyrethrums and Carotenoid Pigments, Nottingham University, 1983.
6. Isaac J. Jondiko, Gerald pattenden. Terpenoids and Apocarotenoid from seeds of Bixa orellana. Phytochemistry, 1989, 28, 315.
7. F. Bettarini, G.E. Borgonovi, T. Fiorani, I. Gaglicardi, V. Caprioli, P Mossardo, J.I.J Ogoche, A. Hassanali, E. Nyandat and A.
Chapya. Antiparasitic Compounds from East Africa Plants; Isolation and Biological Activity of Anonaine; Matricariol, Canthin-6-
one and Caryophyllene oxide. Insect Sci. and Its Applic, 1993, 14, 93.
8. Muniru K. Tsanuo, Ahmed Hassanali, Isaac J.O. Jondiko and Baldwin Torto. Mutangin, A. Dihydroagarofuranoid
sesquiterpene, an insect Antifeedant from Elaeodendron buchananii. Phytochemistry, 1993, 34, 665.
9. Jondiko I.J. Ogoche, Ochong Okelo and Moses Makayoto. Croton megalocarpus Hutch seed oil. Proceedings of 15th
Chemistry Conferences in Africa, 27-31 July 1992.
10. Kenji Mori and Jondiko I.J. Ogoche. An Enzyme-mediated. Synthesis of Both Enantiomers of Seudenol and 1-Methyl-2-
cyclohexa-1-ol, the Aggregation Pheromones of Dendroctonus pseudotsugae. Liebigs Ann. Chem, 1988,903.
11. Yasuko Tsujino, Jondiko I.J. Ogoche, Hiroyuki, Tazaki, Takane Fujimor; and Kenji Mori. Buchaninoside, a Novel steroidal
Glycoside from Elaeodendron buchananii. Phytochem, 1995, 40 (3), 735.
12. A.K Machocho, W. Lwande, J.I. Jondiko, L.V.C Moreka and A. Hassanali. Three New Flavonoids from the Root of Tephrosia
emoroides and Their Antifeedant Activity Against the Larvae of the Spotted Stalk Borer, Chilo partellus Swinhoe. International
Journal of Pharmacognosy, 1995,33(3), 222.
13. Jondiko J.J.O, Z.M. Getenga, S.O. Wandiga and E. Beck. The Dissipation of Malathion and Dimethoate from Pea Plants (Pisum
sativum) under controlled conditions. Toxicological and Environmental chemistry 77 219-228. (2000)
14. Jondiko J.I.O.; Z.M. Getenga and S.O. Wandiga. The Dissipation and Degradation of Methoxy-14 C Malathion in soil under
Tropical conditions. Toxicological and Environmental chemistry 77 229-240 (2000)
15. 15.Job Isaac Ogoche Jondiko (2002) Proposal for Poverty reduction Among the People in the Kenyan Gulf Region Through
Sustainable Programme of Good Water Quality Management. Workshop Proceedings on Sustainable Environmental Management
for Poverty Alleviation in the Lake Victoria Basin from 27th_29thMarch2000 at Maseno University P.O. Box 333. Maseno. Page 59-
16. .Job Isaac Ogoche Jondiko (2003) Role of a Supervisor in Postgraduate Proposal Implementation and Thesis Writing in
Workshop Proceedings on Towards Harmonising on Postgraduate Training Through Improved Supervisor Relationship: 24-25th
April 2003. Maseno University P.O.Box333 MASENO. Page100-113.
17. Job Isaac Ogoche Jondiko(2000) Multipesticide Residue Analysis by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry in the major
Rivers Flowing into Lake Victoria, Kenya: In Lake Victoria Conference 2000 Jinja, Kampala Uganda.
18.Jondiko Ogoche, J., Andrew Andayi, W., Yenesew Abiyi, Deresse Solomon, Midiwo Jacob.O.,Gitu Peter, M., Akala Hosea,
Liyala Pamela, Wangui Julia, Waters Norman,C., Heydenreich Mathias, Peter Martin,G.,(2006). Antiplasmodial flavanoids from
Erythrina saxleuxii. Planta medica 72(2) 187-189.
19.Job Isaac Jondiko ,O.,Orwa,J.A., Minja,R.J.A.,Bekunda M. (2008). The use of Toddalia asiatica (L) Lam. (Rutaceae) in
traditional medicine in East Africa J. Ethnopharmacology 115 (2) 257-262.
20. Jondiko,I.J.O and Gerald Pattenden(2004). Resolution of 4S (+) Allethrolone via Pig
Liver Esterase and Chemical Inversion in proceedings of. the 9th International Conference in
Africa on Chemistry Towards Disease and Poverty Eradication. 2-7th August 2004. Arusha.
21. Jondiko I.J.O and Gerald Pattenden(2004). Amides and Indole Alkaloids Found in
Spilanthes mauritiana in the proceedings of the 9th International Conference in Africa on
Chemistry Towards Disease and Poverty Eradication. 2-7th August 2004. Arusha.
22..Jondiko,I.J.O ,Andayi ,A .W, and Yenesew,A.(2005). Malarial and Antioxidant
compounds from Erythrina burttii and E. Sacleuxii in proceedings of East and Southern
Africa Environmental chemistry Workshop (ESA ECW) and the Sixth Theoretical
Chemistry Workshop in Africa (TCWA) 5-9TH December 2005 Windhoek ,Namibia.158-
PAPERS SENT FOR PUBLICATIONS
1. Amides and an indole Alkaloids found in Spilanthes mauritiana (Phytochemistry).
2. A New insect Antifeedant Neolignan isolated from Piper capense (Phytochemistry).
3. Resolution of 4s(+) Allethrolone via Pig Liver Esterase and Chemical Inversion. (Lie Big. Chem)
RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
1. Studies on Biologically Active compounds from Plants in Kenya.
2. Pesticide Degradation and chemical pollution in Western Kenya.
3. Development of Agro-waste Products into Lives stock feeds
MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED SOCIETIES
1. Kenya Academy of Science
2. Kenya Chemical Society
3. Natural Products Network for East and Central Africa.
4. Member of Biological Science committee in the Natural Conc. Of Science of Technology.
5. American Chemical Society.
MEMBERSHIP OF NON-GOVERMENTAL NETWORK ORGANISATION.
1. OSIENALA, A RESTORATION PROGRAMME OF LAKE VIOCTORIA and ITS ENVIRONMENT.
2. KENYA ENVIRONMENTAL NON-GOVERMENTAL NETWORK ORGANISATION.