Synergen Power Pty Ltd 2 pages:
Original issue 7-2-97
MINTARO GAS TURBINE Revised 30/12/02
SITE ACCESS REQUIREMENTS - “SUBSTATION” WORK.
The Mintaro site comprises a 132kV Substation, Gas Turbine site, gas supply company compound, and
general landscaped area.
Access to all areas is controlled, and appropriate authorisation is required for entry to the site.
This document outlines the requirements and restrictions applicable to personnel requiring entry for
substation related work only. Access for other purposes will require appropriate authorisation and
Access control authorities:
132kV Substation – Electranet .
Gas Turbine site – Synergen Power Pty Ltd .
Gas supply compound - gas supplier (EPIC Energy).
General landscaped area (outside security fence) – Synergen Power Pty Ltd.
As the substation relay / communications room is located in the Gas Turbine main site building and
access to the substation is also via the Gas Turbine site, the following requirements are applicable to
personnel requiring access to the site for substation / communications / supervisory type work.
1. The possession of an Electranet substation key is not an authority to enter the turbine area.
Appropriate accreditation for Electranet Substation access (as outlined in Electranet’s substation
instructions) must be held (and produced on request), in addition to the following requirements.
2. Refer to attached site plan: - access to the turbine site for substation work is restricted to
bitumen road surfaces, pathway around main site building only, and appropriate areas within
the main site building (relay room, toilets, battery room). NOTE: access to other areas is not
authorised by this instruction. Requests for further access should be directed to Synergen’s
Operations Manager or a Mintaro Gas Turbine Officer who can arrange appropriate induction.
3. Access via gates and doors is by “Transmission” key (Only available through Electranet). The
main gate to the turbine area must be kept locked while personnel are on site (The locking
requirement may not apply if Synergen are on site – refer to Synergen’s Gas Turbine Officer).
4. The Gas Turbine site is a non-smoking area. Smoking is not permitted inside or outside
5. Security system (control panel is on a post just inside main gate) can only be accessed with a
valid code (NOT an “All Gates” key). Codes will be supplied via Electranet who will be
responsible for promulgating these requirements.
6. System Control MUST be advised immediately on entry to the Gas Turbine site. Telephones
are available in the relay room.
7. The yard lighting switch (operates all yard and switchyard lights) is just inside the site building
main door. (ON/OFF push buttons)
8. LOCAL HAZARDS: explosive gasses, noise, tripping hazards, automatic fire protection. The
gas supply pipework is to the right on coming through the main gate. There are safety valves
that may vent high pressure gas. As mentioned before, the gas turbine site is a non smoking
area. No naked flames within 10m of the gas line.
**** The relay room has an automatic FM200 gas fire extinguishing system. The room should be
evacuated and the door closed if the system is activated. The doors must be closed whenever
the room is unoccupied.
The turbine may start at any time. The starting and emergency diesels (near the switchyard
gate) can be quite noisy. Hard hats and earmuffs should be worn if the turbine is running.
9. EMERGENCY: Electranet’s Emergency procedures and contact numbers available in relay
room, adjacent to the telephones. Synergen Procedures located on inside of main door.
D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\934f167f-9bd0-4095-a904-9f5bc75efd2d.doc Page 1 of 2
Synergen Power Pty. Ltd.
MINTARO GAS TURBINE SITE
132 kV SWITCHYARD GAS
GATE T KEY
GENERATOR EXHAUST ROAD
GAS TURBINE SITE
FM 200 FIRE SUPPRESSION TELEPHONES
RELAY, SUPERVISORY, & FM 200 CONTROL PANEL
LADDERS ETC. ROOM
YARD LIGHT SWITCH
(Pushbuttons) ACCESSIBLE AREAS
HALLWAY FRONT DOORS
50V BATTERY ROOM
FLOOR PLAN - MAIN SITE BUILDING
D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\934f167f-9bd0-4095-a904-9f5bc75efd2d.doc Page 2 of 2