UWP Permission to Access Pioneer Administration Software System

Document Sample
UWP Permission to Access Pioneer Administration Software System Powered By Docstoc
					    UWP Permission to Access Pioneer Administration Software System (PASS) Records
                                    Approval Form
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that specifies what information
may or may not be presented for a student of an institution and how access to that information is monitored,
controlled and granted. The act defines that all records (with 6 defined exceptions) the University maintains about
a student are referred to as “education records”. Access to these educational records is defined by the act. The act
also defines what part of the student record is considered “directory information”. Directory information is
designated as public information unless the student initiates a privacy hold (“FERPA HOLD”) by contacting the
Registrar. FERPA was implemented to balance the need for an institution to collect and maintain information
about the educational experience of a student with the student’s basic right for privacy and control of how the
information is used. Readers should consult the “Notice of Your Rights Under the Family Education Rights and
Privacy Act of 1974, as Amended” in Exhibit I of this document for further details of FERPA. The Office of the
Registrar of UW-Platteville maintains this statement of how FERPA has been implemented at this institution as
mandated by FERPA.
 1. Request
    I agree to abide by the policy on Acceptable Use of Computing and Information Technology Resources
    available at http://www.uwplatt.edu/go/aup I have read and understand the privacy rights of students as
    outlined in the “Notice of Your Rights Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as
    Name: ______________________           Username: ________________________________
     Signature: ___________________          Date: ____________________________________
 2. Access Desired
    Circle each permission to which you want access:
     Administrative Access               Class Permission               Pin Number
     Circle each Academic Program to which you want access:         EMS         BILSA      LAE
     If you have requested Class Permission access, list each Subject to which you want access to set Class

     Subjects: _________________________________________________________________

 3. Approval for Access
    Approval from data custodian (University Registrar) or appropriate senior level administrator (Chancellor,
    Assistant Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, Assistant or Associate Vice Chancellors, or Dean) is required for
    obtaining access. Approval from one’s senior level administrator is required for obtaining access to the data.

     Supervisor’s Signature: ____________________ Date: ___________________________
     Dean’s Signature: ________________________ Date: ___________________________
     Registrar’s Signature: _____________________ Date: ___________________________
 4. Orientation
    The individual has completed an initial orientation session for each of the types of access requested on how
    to use the functions.

     Name: __________________________________________________________________

     Signature: ______________________________ Date: ___________________________
EXHIBIT I -- “Notice of Your Rights Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy
Act of 1974, as Amended”
Office of the Registrar
Platteville, Wisconsin 53818
TO: All University of Wisconsin-Platteville Students
FROM: Office of the Registrar
RE: Notice of Your Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy
Act of 1974, as Amended
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, requires that you be advised of your rights,
concerning Your education records and of certain categories of public information which the University has
designated “directory information." This notice in question and format satisfies the requirements of the Act.
 1. What rights do I have regarding my University records?
    You have the right to inspect and review all your records, which meet the Act's definition of "education
    records." review.
 2. What is the definition of "education records?"
    Education records are all the records maintained by the University about you. There
    are six exceptions:
    a. personal notes of University of Wisconsin staff and faculty,
    b. employment records,
    c. medical and counseling records used solely for treatment,
    d. financial records of your parents,
    c. confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in your records prior to January 1, 1975,
    f. confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment or honorary recognition
       placed in your records after January 1, 1975, for which you have waived the right to inspect and
 3. Is there any situation in which the University may insist that I waive my rights?
    Under no condition may you be required to waive your rights under this Act before receiving University
    services or benefits.
 4. Where are my records kept?
    Records are not maintained in a central location on the campus. Requests to review your records must be
    made separately to each office which maintains your records. Your request must be made in writing and
    presented to the appropriate office. That office will have up to 45 days to honor your request. For most
    students, these offices will include the Registrar, your school or college dean's office, your major department
    and any other, campus offices with which you have been in contact, such as Student Financial Aids, Dean of
    Students, or Residential Halls.
 5. What if I do not agree with what is in my records?
    You may challenge any information contained in your "education records" which you believe to be
    inaccurate, misleading, or inappropriate. This right does not extend to reviewing grades unless the grade
    assigned by your professor was inaccurately recorded in your records. You may also insert a statement in
    your records to explain any such material from your point of view. If you wish to challenge information in
    your file, you must make a written request for a hearing to the dean or director of the appropriate office. In
    most cases, the decision of the dean or director will be final. However, you may elect to file an appeal in
    writing to the Chancellor who will review the decision only if a significant question of policy or compliance
    with the law appears to be raised by the case.
 6. May I determine which third parties can view my educational records?
      Under the Act, your prior written consent must be obtained before information may be disclosed to third
      parties unless they are exempted from this provision. These exceptions include:
      a. requests from University of Wisconsin – Platteville faculty and staff with a legitimate educational “need to
      b. requests in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order
      c. requests from representatives of agencies or organizations from which you have received financial aid
      d. requests from officials of other educational institutions in which you intend to enroll
      e. requests from other persons specifically exempted from the prior consent requirement by the Act (certain
      federal and state officials, organizations conducting studies on behalf of the University, accrediting
      f. requests for “directory information” (please refer to the next question for an explanation.)
 7. What is meant by the term “directory information?”
    The University, in accordance with the Act, has designated the following categories of
    information about you as public unless you choose to exercise your right to have any or
    all of this information withheld. This information will be routinely released to any inquirer
    unless you request that all or part of this list be withheld. These categories are:
    a. name
    b. address
    c. campus issued email address
    d. telephone listing
    e. date of birth
    f. major field of study
    g. participation in officially recognized activities and sports
    h. weight and height of members of athletic teams
    i. dates of attendance (including current classification and year, matriculation and withdrawal dates)
    j. degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted)
    k. the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended
 8. What kinds of inquiries does the University receive for “directory information?”
    The University receives many inquiries for “directory information” from a variety of sources including
    friends, parents, relatives, prospective employers, graduate schools, honor societies, licensing agencies,
    government agencies, and news media. Please consider very carefully the consequences of any decision by
    you to remove these items from the list of “directory information.” Should you decide to inform the
    University not to release any or all of this “directory information,” any future requests for such information
    from non-University persons or organizations will be refused. For example, the University could not release
    your telephone number, or address to a family member wishing to notify you of a serious illness or crisis in
    the family. A prospective employer requesting confirmation of your major field of study, address or date of
    birth would also be denied access to such items should you withdraw them from the list of “directory
    information.” The University will honor your request to withhold any of the eleven items listed above but
    cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release them. Regardless of the
    effect upon you, the University assumes no liability for honoring your instructions that such information be
      If you wish to file a form withdrawing some or all of the information in the “directory” classification, you
      should report to the Registrar’s Office, and complete the necessary form. After you have filed this form, the
      Registrar will notify the appropriate University offices and begin to comply with your wishes as soon as
 9. Where can I find out more information about the provisions of the Act?
    If you have questions regarding the provisions of the Act, you may contact the Registrar’s Office.
10.   Whom should I contact if I wish to make a complaint?
      If you believe that the University is not complying with the Act, please direct your comments to the Vice
      Chancellor of Academic Affairs.