Mercat Tours Ltd
• To attend your timetabled tours always
• To arrive punctually 15 minutes before the start of your tour
• To meet the company’s dress code
• To familiarise yourself with the range of customers in your group
• To assist the Duty Manager or On-Street Sales Staff when required
• To heighten customers’ anticipation of the tour ahead
• To welcome customers formally and warmly to their Mercat tour at the start
• To engage, enthral and entertain customers during the tour
• To maintain the historical authenticity and accuracy of the tour content
• To involve customers actively in parts of the tour
• To respond openly and honestly to questions from customers
• To address the particular needs of members of your group
• To comply with all company policies on health and safety, security and green issues
• To be considerate of other guides operating at the same time both around the Royal Mile and in the
• To participate in continuous professional development
• To maintain good relations with other tour companies
• To be familiar with and promote other Mercat products and merchandise
• To be a positive ambassador for Mercat Tours
Variable. Daytime and evening. Allocation depends on a number of factors such as availability, tours trained
for, reliability and Quality Assurance grading.
Variable dependent on Band A/B status. Starting band for all new guides is B, which has a minimum hourly
rate of £7.25. Hourly rate varies dependent on tour performed
All our guides are self employed and responsible for their own tax and national insurance
All guides must complete the appropriate training course in order to be added to the guiding rota. Applicants
who are successful at the interview stage will be invited to an introductory session to learn more about the
job. After attending a selection of our tours, applicants will be asked to perform a story as part of an audition.
Those who are successful at the audition will then go on to complete the training programme, which lasts until
the start of April.
There is no payment during the training process. On successful completion of training, £50 will be paid to
newly qualified guides. Assessment will take place throughout training to ensure the highest standards are
being met. We also operate a continuous assessment programme once training has been completed.
If you have any questions about the application, the interview and audition process or about the training course itself, please contact
Frances Mann firstname.lastname@example.org with your query.
Mercat Tours LtdM:\Application Form ghost tour guide 2010.doc Page 1
MERCAT TOURS LTD
Post: Ghost Tour Guide
PART 1: PERSONAL DETAILS
Tel no. Day: Tel no. Eve:
Where did you
see this post
PART 2 (A): EMPLOYMENT
PRESENT/MOST RECENT EMPLOYMENT
Please summarise your main duties and Responsibilities in the above job.
Mercat Tours LtdM:\Application Form ghost tour guide 2010.doc Page 2
PART 2(B) PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENT (MOST RECENT FIRST)
Employers Name Main Duties and Responsibilities
Job Title & Start and Finish Dates
& Address Reason for Leaving
Mercat Tours LtdM:\Application Form ghost tour guide 2010.doc Page 3
PART 3: EDUCATION & TRAINING
Certificate Gained Subjects / modules Grade/Band Date
FURTHER/HIGHER EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS
Main Subjects Name of
Gained/ Working Awarding body Date Achieved
OTHER RELEVANT TRAINING
Course Name/Subject Provider Duration Date
Mercat Tours LtdM:\Application Form ghost tour guide 2010.doc Page 4
PART 4: PERSONAL STATEMENT AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Please describe your experience, skills, achievements and qualities that are most relevant to the
post. You may make reference to other areas of involvements as well as paid employment.
And finally, tell us why you would be an asset to Edinburgh’s foremost ghost tour company?
If necessary, you may use a continuation sheet. If you do so, please staple or pin it securely to this sheet.
DECLARATION: I verify that to the best of my knowledge, the information supplied on this application form,
and on any additional sheet, is correct.
Mercat Tours LtdM:\Application Form ghost tour guide 2010.doc Page 5