Vice Chancellor’s Travel Grants
Student Mobility Grants for Undergraduate and Coursework Masters students
(excluding HDR grants)
The Student Mobility Grant is a travel grant offered to students who undertake an
approved period of study abroad. This grant includes and replaces the previous
International Office exchange grants.
The University will provide students with grants for a minimum of $1200 and a
maximum of $5000 depending on the nature, destination and duration of the study
abroad. Any extra funding over the standard grant will only be considered by the
Registrar in very exceptional circumstances .
The following categories of study abroad will be eligible for the grants:
• Students participating in an ANU (or College) student exchange for a period
of at least one semester (standard grants of $2000 for one semester and $3000
for a full year).
• Students participating in the Year-In-Asia/Middle East programs (standard
grant of $1200 + College contribution). Please note this grant is not meant to
replace College contributions to the program.
• Students participating in an ANU international short term study abroad
/internships for less than a semester (standard grant of $1200)
• Applications may be considered according to need for special travel grants to
enable students to attend approved activities abroad, which may not involve
formal periods of study abroad
• Students must be enrolled at the ANU at the time of application
• Students must be undertaking programs for which they anticipate receiving
full credit towards their degree(s) for the period of study abroad (except for
special travel grants)
• Students applying through the ANU Visiting Student Program must meet all
the conditions of the Visiting Student Program and have been nominated and
accepted by a partner university.
• Students applying as part of the Year in Asia program must be approved by
the College of Asia and the Pacific
• Students participating in international short term study abroad /internships for
less than a semester must be on an ANU approved program and must receive
credit towards their ANU degree for the period abroad
• Students in receipt of other scholarship grants for student mobility (this does
not include OS-HELP) will be assessed according to need (i.e. apart from the
• Students approved to spend time at an IARU partner
(http://info.anu.edu.au/ovc/Alliances/IARU/About_IARU.asp ) will receive
additional funding in the form of an economy return airfare on presentation of
at least 3 travel quotes.
• Students applying for travel assistance to attend approved activities abroad
(not for study or academic credit) must be formally approved by the ANU and
the organising body. Other financial assistance provided for the activity will
be taken into consideration.
• Limited funding ($50K) is available to allow PGCW and Honours students to
apply for Conference Travel Support (up to a max of $1500).
▪ Exchange students receiving other exchange grants (except Os-Help) through
programs for which the ANU has received funding will have their grant
adjusted so that the total sum received will not exceed $5000
How to Apply
• Students applying to go on an ANU approved exchange / study abroad
program do not need to fill out a separate form as their eligibility will be
considered at the time of successful nomination for an exchange or Study
• For all other applicants:
Fill in the application form (PDF) at
grantsUGPGcwk.doc and return by mail or in person to:
Visiting Student Program
International Development and Cooperation Directorate
Division of Registrar and Student Services
You must include:
• Information indicating the total amount of scholarship/funding
assistance you will receive (apart from the ANU Travel grant).
• Formal approvals for the study abroad /travel you are undertaking
16 November 2007