ODESSA More Updates From the Community’s College
Vol. 2, Issue 16 Contents prepared by Odessa College Media Relations and Publications Office December 14, 2008
REGISTER NOW FOR
CLASSES AND MORE
• Register online at www.odessa.edu
• Register on campus now through
• Last day to register for midwinter is
Dec. 29 from 9 to 11 a.m.
• Scholarships and grants are available
• Midwinter classes begin Monday,
• Spring semester begins Tuesday,
Jan. 20, 2009
For more information contact the
OC Help Center at 335-6433 or visit
the Odessa College Web site at www.
CLASSES BEGIN JAN. 13
Odessa College Continuing Education
Department offers Driver Education classes
beginning in January 2009. The cost to OC STUDENTS ERIN GILLILAN (left) AND WHITNEY KUHRT (right) are served coffee by OC STUDENT ARLA CHAVEZ at the Wi-fi Java
attend classes is $325. Cyber Cafe on the Odessa College campus. The coffee house has been in operation at OC for more than three years and provides students,
Before registering you must have faculty, staff and the public a place to study, relax and enjoy specialty coffees and art.
Wi-fi Java cafe provides warm,
an original certified birth certificate, an
original Social Security card, a “verification
of enrollment and attendance form” not
older than 30 days from the student’s
inviting atmosphere for patrons
school, be able to attend every class and
drive time and be 15 years of age by the
first class day. The schedule is as follows:
• Jan. 12, 2009 – Orientation
• Classes – 5-7 p.m. or 7-9 p.m., On any given day you can walk into the Wi-fi Java seating, affordable quality coffee, music and four art exhibits a
Mon.-Fri., Jan. 13-Feb. 4. Cyber Cafe and find people relaxing, studying, engrossed in year, but it also has free wireless Internet service and computers
For more information or to register, conversation, surfing the Internet, admiring art work or just for patrons to use.
call the OC continuing education having a cup of coffee. “Lots of students use the computers to study, but people
department at 335-6580. “It is one of the few places in town where people are come in to just surf the Internet and look up information as well.
encouraged to just hang out and feel at home,” said Mike They are there just for general use,” Haynie said.
OC HOLIDAY HOURS Haynie, Wi-fi Java Cyber Cafe manager. One of the best aspects of the coffee cafe is that it
This place, which sounds like the perfect getaway, can’t encourages people to interact with one another. “Students,
Odessa College will close at 5:30 p.m. be found in a shopping center or on 42nd Street. It is located faculty and staff have another avenue to get to know one
Thursday, Dec. 18 for the Christmas holidays on the Odessa College campus and is open not only to OC another. People who come on a regular basis get to know
and re-open Monday, Jan. 5. students, faculty and staff, but also to the general public. others who come on a regular basis. They might not have met
The OC Sports Center, Learning Three years ago, Haynie, who was working in the Learning otherwise,” he said.
Resource Center and OC Bookstore will Resource Center, came up with the idea to have a coffee Instructors often use the cafe as a meeting place for classes,
observe special holiday hours during the shop on campus. “Coffee shops had become really big in the Haynie said. “I’ve had professors tell me that students feel more
Christmas break. United States. So I started looking into it,” Haynie said. comfortable at the cafe and often will interact and talk more
As Haynie began to research it became obvious a free with each other than in the traditional classroom setting.”
Sports Center holiday hours: standing facility would be more Haynie said he has many ideas still
• Dec. 22-23 – 7-10 a.m., 4-8 p.m. optimal and the perfect place to come for improving upon the Wi-fi
was Travis Hall. Java Cyber Cafe area.
• Dec. 24-25 – Closed
“It had an amazing amount “Long-term I would like to build
• Dec. 26 – 7-10 a.m. of space and would allow much a fireplace on the patio for more
• Dec. 27 – Closed more freedom with the design ambiance and enclose the patio
• Dec. 29-30 – 7-10 a.m., 4-8 p.m. and operating hours,” he said. area with glass doors that could be
• Dec. 31-Jan. 1 – Closed “In the LRC, noise level is a closed in the winter and open in
• Jan. 2 – 7-10 a.m. definite concern when it comes warmer weather,” he said. “It would
• Jan. 3 – Closed to its use, but at the Wi-fi Java allow more space to be utilized year
it’s ok for there to be music and around.”
• Jan. 5 – Resume regular hours
talking. It promotes student life Additionally, Haynie would like to
- 6 a.m.-8 p.m. Mon-Thur. more especially for those who host more art events at the Wi-fi Java
- 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Fri. don’t mind a noise level.” and the adjacent Rudy Acosta Student
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sat. As the project progressed, Pavilion, recently constructed on
For more information on the Sports Haynie researched on the campus.
Center holiday hours, call 335-6348. Internet the design and “I would like to see us host an
operation which would Open Mic Night in the spring,” he
promote a warm and inviting said. “We have tons of students in
LRC holiday hours:
atmosphere. bands and with musical talent. Maybe
• Dec. 19-28 – Closed “The floor plan and interior design came naturally for me open it up to the community and invite more people to become
• Dec. 29-31 – 8 a.m.-1 p.m. because I have an eclectic taste,” he said. “Developing the familiar with the OC campus.”
• Jan. 1-3 – Closed business plan was a little more complicated though.” Haynie also would like to see an art bizarre in the same area.
• Jan. 4 – 2-5 p.m. He discovered that a cafe would definitely be beneficial to “It would focus on the talents of our students and allow them to
For more information on the LRC the campus. showcase and sell their art. Additionally, it would have live music
holiday hours, call 335-6640. “Outside of class, students, faculty and staff need a place to showcase OC music students and allow them an additional
they can feel comfortable. Wi-fi Java fulfills that need. Plus, opportunity to perform in front of a crowd.”
OC is a commuter campus. The cafe keeps more students on Ultimately, Haynie would like to see the Wi-fi Java Cyber
OC bookstore hours:
campus between classes,” he said. “It is the closest thing OC Cafe and Rudy Acosta Student Pavilion grow beyond a campus
• Dec. 22-26 – Closed has to a central gathering place.” gathering area.
• Dec. 29-31 – 7:45 a.m.-3 p.m. People always seem pleasantly surprised when they first “I would like to see it become a community gathering
• Jan. 1 – Closed visit the cafe, too. place with art, music, headline acts, etc.,” he said. “We are
• Jan. 2, 5-9 – 7:45 a.m.-5:30 p.m. “You can always tell when a student has never been in the community’s college and I want to do more to make the
before because they always have a ‘wow’ look on their face,” community feel at home at Odessa College.”
For more information on the OC Haynie said. “The cafe has an extremely polished look and The Wi-fi Java Cyber Cafe is open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday
bookstore holiday hours, call 335-6653. is somewhat out of the ordinary for Odessa as far as interior through Thursday and 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday during the regular
design goes. Most places are somewhat sterile looking.” semester. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Dec. 15-18
The Wi-fi Java Cyber Cafe not only has comfortable cafe and will close for the winter holidays Dec. 19 through Jan. 5.
Odessa College • 201 West University • Odessa, Texas 79764 • www.odessa.edu • 432-335-6400