Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out


VIEWS: 151 PAGES: 61

									Thank you for choosing Collingwood College Welcome Freshers Welcome back returning students Welcome Postgraduates and PGCE students Welcome Exchange Students Please find enclosed useful information which will aid your continuation or transition into Collegiate life

The Place The Purpose The People College Officers Senior Staff Staff Junior Common Room Sabbaticals College Council Members of College JCR – Junior Common Room MCR – Middle Common Room SCR – Senior Common Room Collingwood Association College Facilities Accommodation Offers of Accommodation Choice of rooms Extended lets Car Parking Tutorial System College Chaplaincy The Lormor Library Food Linen & Laundry Bar Fitness Suite Health IT/Laptop Loans Shop /Coffee Shop Pizza Shop Telephones Post Lost Property Sports Pitch/Tennis Court Guests staying in college Keys Television Sets Music Practice Area Complaints 1 8 10 18 27 31 33 34 41 44 48 50 52 62 75 76 78 82 84 88 99 102 103 107 115 124 125 127 132 139 141 142 145 150 153 156

College Policies Discipline Cultural Diversity & Awareness Drugs & Alcohol Care of Rooms Parties & Social Events Keeping of Term Going away from College during term End of term and vacation residence Changing course Fees & Finance Fire Precautions Health & Safety Security Environment Advice & Information Personal Harassment Nightline Baggage Electoral Register Teikyo Students Gifts to the College Living out of College Collingwood College Regulations Durham University – students living out – regulations Appendix 1 Residential Licensing of Motor Vehicles Appendix 2 College Damages/fines Appendix 3 College Plan – (Fire Evacuation) Appendix 4 College Term Dates 08/09 Appendix 5 College Directions Appendix 6 Useful Contacts – Telephone numbers and email 162 178 180 187 203 208 214 216 221 222 231 242 246 250 254 258 259 260 261 262 263

1. 2. The College is named after Sir Edward Collingwood FRS, distinguished mathematician and a former Chairman of the University Council. Although the first students arrived in October 1972, the buildings were not opened until a year later, with a major expansion in 1994. The College has over 500 spaces for resident students, with a similar number living out. The College is laid out in three wings, each named after a northern county. Durham and Northumberland have 3 and 5 blocks respectively of standard accommodation, and Cumbria has 5 blocks of en suite accommodation. Each block is named after a place in the county, and is built on several levels, numbered between 1 and 7. The College is built on hills, and the numbering of the levels takes account of this, so that ground level at the main entrance is at level 4, but in the Wearmouth block is at level 1, and in the Sizergh block at level 5. We also have two separate blocks, Richmond, with 16 postgraduate study-bedrooms and a flat for the JCR President and the Bar Steward, and York, with 4 flats, a music practice area, staff rooms and the catering office. Residential room numbers show the first letter of the block name, then the level and finally the room identifier, e.g. G5C is room C on level 5 in Greystoke block, and W2K is room K on level 2 in Wearmouth block. A plan of the College is reproduced on the rear cover of this Handbook.






8. The College strives for excellence in supporting the work of the University, by: a) providing an environment in which the academic and personal lives of undergraduates and postgraduates can flourish. b) offering services and facilities of a standard high enough to attract and retain the best applicants from home and overseas. c) giving good value for money for all members of the College. d) creating a safe and supportive working environment for all staff. e) working with the wider community towards mutually beneficial relations between students and local residents. f) working constructively with other parts of the University to provide a first class higher education experience for all involved in it. 9. In support of these primary objectives and of the wider University, the College acts also as a conference centre; all net income is devoted to its main purpose.

10. The present PRINCIPAL, Professor Ed Corrigan FRS, is responsible to the College Council and to the Dean of Colleges for all aspects of running the College. Professor Corrigan spends 50% of his time in College, and the other 50% in the Department of Mathematical Sciences. His academic speciality is in an area of mathematical physics (integrable systems and quantum field theory). He is a member of the University Senate. 11. Collingwood has two Senior Tutors, Steve Rayner and Kevin Miller. If you have problems with your studies, with anything to do with your University career, or with life in College or in the University, they are your main contacts for advice and support. 12. The VICE-PRINCIPAL AND SENIOR TUTOR, Dr Steve Rayner, is responsible to the Principal for academic matters, admissions and student accommodation and welfare. Dr Rayner spends 70% of his time in College and the rest in the Physics Department, where his particular interest is in Astronomy. 13. SENIOR TUTOR, Dr Kevin Miller, is responsible to the Principal for the organisation of the Personal Tutor system, student welfare and admissions. He is also Secretary to the Senior Common Room. Dr Miller spends 50% of his time in College and the rest in the Politics Department, where his particular interests are European Security, the EU and International Politics. 14. The BURSAR, Michelle Crawford, is responsible to the Principal for the College's property, finances, health & safety, services, staffing and IT. 15. The College Officers are responsible, whenever possible in consultation with the President of the JCR, for discipline in the College. If students are in breach of this, a College Officer can impose a penalty, which may include a fine, community service or, in serious cases, exclusion from the whole or any specified area of the College.

16. They take it in turn to be on call in the event of a serious problem outside normal working hours. 17. Any of the College Officers are able, in the absence of others, to deal with any matter concerning student life in the College.

18. The COLLEGE CHAPLAIN, (tba) is available to all members of the College. 19. The COLLEGE SECRETARIES, Janet Stewart, Pardip Sander and Leanne Miller, manage the College Office and deal with academic departments on behalf of students. They provide administrative support for the Principal. Do see them about accommodation in College, if you have a problem with your department, about obtaining a concession, about car parking in College, or if you are considering changing your course. They can also help if you think that a health problem is affecting your studies or if you are thinking of staying on for postgraduate studies. 20. The OPERATIONS FACILITIES MANAGER, Jayne Dixon, manages the portering team and ensures the maintenance of the College and its grounds, including Health and Safety. She is the main point of contact with the Estates & Buildings department, which oversees grounds and buildings maintenance for the University. 21. The ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN, Sandra Shaw, handles student bills, payments for goods and services and the staff payroll. You need to see her if you think you will have a problem with paying your bills. Sam Brown Finance Assistant assists Sandra with daily duties. 22. The CATERING SERVICES MANAGER, John Turner, runs the whole catering and servery operation, including staffing, purchasing, budget, menus and cooking quality. He is happy to receive constructive comments, Sylvia Hall Catering Services Secretary deals with student meal card queries. 23. The HOUSEKEEPER, Ann Midgley, organises the housekeeping operation and manages the cleaners. If you have a problem with any

aspect of this that your own cleaner cannot solve, do go and see her or one of her Assistants, Mary Hindmarch or Katherine Duffy 24. The COLLEGE LIBRARIAN, Germaine Holmes, is in charge of the College Library, known as the Lormor Library, and is responsible for book selection, ordering, cataloguing and classification, and overseeing the work of Student Librarians, who are paid for their work (if you are interested, please ask Mrs Holmes). She is normally in College on Mondays and Wednesday during term, between about 09.00 and 17.00. 25. Senior Staff meet with College Officers, the JCR President and the Bar Steward in a weekly College Management Meeting. 26. Julie Crawford, Dining Hall Supervisor, runs the Servery and the Dining Hall and, with her staff, arranges both regular term-time meal service and waiting at table for special events.

27. RECEPTION TEAM, Stephen Anderson and Louise Snaith; Trudy Forster (Supervisor) main contact for student event booking 28. There are 7 PORTERS, maintaining 24 hour, 7 days per week coverage, ensuring security and safety of all students. 29. The KITCHEN BRIGADE includes 6 chefs and 3 kitchen porters and the CATERING TEAM consists of 2 Assistant Dining Hall Supervisors and 12 catering assistants. 30. HOUSEKEEPING TEAM include 20 STAFF, each of whom is responsible for a particular area of the College.

31. These are former Collingwood students who have been elected to spend a year as full-time employees of the JCR. 32. Ryan Young is the JCR PRESIDENT and Chris Welding the BAR STEWARD. Both of them meet regularly with the College Officers and Senior Staff to help reach decisions about management of the College.

33. College Council decides the strategy for the College, and has the final word on the way in which the College is run. It meets once a term to discuss all matters of concern to the College. The membership includes the College Officers, representatives of the JCR, MCR and SCR and appointees of the University Council; it is currently chaired by Keith Orford, Dean of Science. The Vice Chancellor is a member ex officio, as is the Dean of Colleges and Student Support Services.

34. The Junior Common Room (JCR) is both a self-governing body, to which all student members of the College can belong, and a place. You can opt out of JCR membership by writing to the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor by 10th September 2008 (Education Act 1994). 35. The JCR makes decisions at regular meetings, at which attendance is expected of all members. Implementation of JCR policy is the responsibility of the JCR Executive Committee, whose members are elected annually. 36. The JCR administers facilities and services for student members of the College. These include the Bar, Shop, Coffee shop, Music Society, Fitness suite, Sports teams, Drama and social events (Ents) such as Discos, Band Nights and Formal Balls. 37. The JCR Sabbatical President and other members of the JCR Executive are the main formal links between the student body and the College Officers. The JCR is represented on College Committees and College Council. 38. As a place, the JCR is reached by walking down the staircase from the Reception area. You can collect your post from pigeonholes in the JCR, and immediately adjacent are the JCR Shop, the Bar, the Coffee Shop, the Pizza Shop and the Fitness Suite.

39. The Bayley Room is another JCR facility during term-time and is situated above the main JCR area. It is intended to be a quiet reading room or television room for daily use. 40. Two Bayley Room representatives are elected annually to ensure that the room is left tidy at the end of the day. If left untidy the room will be locked until volunteers clean up. If still left untidy and the Porters need to clear up, the JCR is charged an additional £20.00.

41. The Middle Common Room (MCR) is a body made up of all postgraduate and 4th year student-members of College. It organises social events from time to time. 42. All members of the MCR are also automatically members of the JCR, and postgraduate members are welcome to apply to Kevin Miller for free membership of the SCR. 43. The MCR is also a place, a small communal area in the Richmond block, though members are also able to use the JCR and the SCR.

44. The Senior Common Room (SCR) is a self-regulating body of senior members of the University and others connected with the College. The President is Leah Tether. 45. College Officers, tutors and senior residents are automatically members of the SCR, and postgraduate members of the College may apply for free membership. Other people become members by election. The SCR is also a place, a room situated off the Reception area. 46. The SCR and JCR work together through the Visual Arts Committee, organising exhibitions of art in College, and members of the SCR contribute to a Special Projects and Travel Fund to help students undertaking worthwhile ventures in vacations. 47. More generally, the SCR is keen to support activities of College Societies and of the JCR; it can be contacted via Kevin Miller.

48. All former students of the College are entitled to become members of the Collingwood Association, chaired by Mr John Guy, which furthers the interests and welfare of the College, encouraging and developing links between past and present students. 49. The Association has a Newsletter and a reunion each year, and gives financial support to the Library, the grounds and the Special Projects and Travel Fund. Recently the Association has helped to pay for new Theatrical Lighting and PA systems, volley ball nets, purchasing computers for the laptop library and the renovation of the College Paddock.

50. All accommodation within the College is allocated by the College Officers, who may require students to move room if they consider it to be necessary. In practice the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor decides who can be accommodated and allocates rooms to postgraduates, and the JCR handles the choice of rooms for undergraduates. 51. If you have been allocated a room and you wish to change or exchange it, you should arrange to see the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor to see if the College will authorise the change.

52. Most degree courses last 3 or 4 years. We expect you to live in College during your first year, and we expect to be able to offer you College accommodation in your final year, or if you are returning from study abroad. 53. Space permitting, we can offer you accommodation in the 2nd year or in the 3rd year of a 4 year course.

54. If you are going to spend a year abroad as part of your course, you need to give a firm indication of whether or not you wish to live in College on your return by 31 May of the preceding academic year. If you express a wish to live in College on your return this will constitute a binding commitment, and we will guarantee you a place. 55. In December each year we will ask continuing students to let us know where they wish to live in the following year. At the same time we will estimate how many rooms, based on our admissions quotas, we will need for freshers. 56. If more people ask to live in College than we have rooms, we offer them first to students returning from a year away from Durham, and then in the following order of priority: • 4th year of a 4 year course • 3rd year of a 3 year course • 3rd year of a 4 year course • 2nd year of a 3 year course • 2nd year of a 4 year course. 57. We will publish a list of the students to whom we can offer College accommodation by the first Monday in February. 58. If there are insufficient rooms for everyone, and one of these categories cannot be fully allocated, allocation within that category will be by ballot in the Christmas Vacation, using a program approved by the JCR. Groups of up to 5 students can enter the ballot together on the basis that all or none of that group is successful. 59. The results of the ballot, showing students who have been successful and a reserve list in order of the ballot will be published during the Epiphany Term. 60. You must firmly accept any offer of accommodation by 28 February, or we cannot guarantee that the offer will remain available to you. Immediately after this deadline, we will ask all students that have requested accommodation for the following academic year to sign a residence agreement to confirm their commitment.

61. If you do not appear to qualify for accommodation in College but think you have good cause, you can ask the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor or the JCR President to consider this. Your application, which will be treated in strict confidence, will be considered by them jointly, and will usually need to be supported by persuasive medical or other evidence.

62. If you are an incoming first year undergraduate, your room will be chosen by the JCR President and the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor, on the basis of your answers to a questionnaire sent to you in the August before your course starts. 63. In your first year you may be required to share one of the shared rooms, but most shared rooms have superior facilities. Sharing is often unpopular, even though the rooms are better, so sharers receive priority in the allocation of rooms in subsequent years. You will have a chance to indicate a preference for sharing in the questionnaire mentioned above. 64. If you think that in your case there are special circumstances which would make sharing inappropriate, there is an opportunity on the questionnaire to make a case - which will have to be compelling, and usually backed up by firm evidence. 65. We shall make every effort to deal with any difficulties which arise from sharing, but opportunities for rearranging rooms will be limited. 66. If, as a returning student, you have been offered College accommodation and have confirmed your acceptance, you will have a chance after exams in the Easter Term to select one of the rooms which remain available at the time of your choice. The room selection procedure is determined by the JCR, in consultation with the VicePrincipal and Senior Tutor 67. Returning students get a chance to choose their rooms governed by the priorities shown above, with two exceptions.

68. First choice is given to holders of specified JCR posts and people who have shared rooms in their first year if that occurred in 2007-8 onwards, and second choice to pairs of returning students who wish to share twin en suite rooms. 69. Then, the names of those within each priority group are listed in a random order, and against each name will be shown the time when they can make their choice. Once they have done so, the room they have chosen will of course no longer be available. 70. If for good reason you cannot attend at the time available to you to make your choice, you can ask the JCR Chair or the JCR President to act on your behalf. 71. If you have a year abroad as part of your course, and have made a binding commitment to stay in College on your return, you will be given the opportunity to indicate room preferences before you go. The JCR Chair or the JCR President will act on your behalf in trying to secure the room closest to what you have asked for, bearing in mind that your priority in this matter is governed as above. 72. If you choose an en suite room you should be aware that you may not be able to stay in this room after the end of any term. 73. Two rooms on the main access Level 4 in the Cumbria Wing are fully accessible to wheelchairs, and a limited amount of rooms are available for people with mobility, hearing or visual impairment. 74. If you think you have a need for such a room, or if you have any other special need, please see a College Officer. The allocation of these rooms where there is a medical need is outside the room selection process described above.

Extended Let
75. During vacation rooms may be let for an extended period of time.
WHAT WILL THIS INCLUDE Christmas Vacation * Dates – 20th December 2008 – 17th January 2009 room available for storage of your belongings, stay from 2nd January – 17th January 2009. * Room only basis * COLLEGE CLOSURE DATES— Storage of belongings only 20th December (10AM) vacate room – 2nd January (12 NOON) return to room TOTAL PRICE Christmas Vacation - £135.00 Christmas & Easter Vacation As above dates and * Dates – 21st March 2009 – 26th April 2009 room available for you to stay or storage of your belongings * Room only basis * COLLEGE CLOSURE DATES— Storage of belongings only 9th April (10AM) vacate room – 14th April (12 NOON) return to room TOTAL PRICE Christmas & Easter Vacation - £520.00 Terms & Conditions * Book before 31st December, we will guarantee you will stay in your room (standard rooms only for Easter 2009) * Charges to be payable in advance to reception * Limited services available (laundry/bar limited access) * Bookings to be made direct with In writing to * Cancellations o A full refund of payment will be made when booking is cancelled before 1 month before date of stay. o A refund of 50% of payment will be made when booking is cancelled more than 2 weeks before date of stay. o No refund will be made for cancellation received less than 2 weeks before date of stay.

76. There are very few car parking spaces for students at the College, and distances in Durham are small, so you will be allowed to park at the College only if you can show a real and pressing need to keep a car here. 77. If you wish to apply for a permit you should write to Janet Stewart, the College Secretary, explaining your need and providing any medical or other evidence in support of your application. A charge of £35 per term will be payable to the College for a parking permit. Please refer to appendix 1 for the University's policy on the "Residential Licensing of Motor Vehicles". In particular, please note that first year students are not permitted to bring a car to Durham unless they have an exceptional (usually medical) need for it. Cars parked in college car park without a permit will be fined £50 per visit; we will contact the DVLA with your registration details to obtain your name.

78. In your first year as an undergraduate you will have a College tutor. Before your second year you will have to let the College know whether you wish to remain with your tutor, to change tutors or to do without a tutor. If you opt out you can always arrange with one of the Senior Tutors to opt back in at any time. 79. To help your tutor to help you, we expect you and your tutor to arrange to meet at least once a term. Tutors may invite you, either individually or in small groups, to meet socially or to dine on High Table or at tutor dinners from time to time. You do not have to attend, but you must reply. If you do not, your failure to do so may go on your personal file. 80. If you have maintained regular contact with your tutor, you should feel free to ask them to write references for you. We ask tutors to write brief notes about their tutees every year, so that we have something on which to base any references for which we are asked. It is in your own interest to make sure that your tutor always has full up-to-date information about you.

81. If you have a problem with your tutor, you should see the Principal or one of the Senior Tutors, either directly or via the JCR President or Vice-President; anything you say will be treated in the strictest confidence. If appropriate you can be moved unobtrusively to another tutorial group.

82. The Chaplaincy exists for the benefit of all members of the College community, regardless of their religious persuasion. The Chaplain is available to all, whatever the need, on a personal and confidential basis. 83. The College has no chapel, but services and discussion groups are held in College, conducted by the Chaplain or by students. Various University religious societies also operate at College level, with regular meetings and services.

84. You will receive a detailed guide to the College Library, which has an automated catalogue and issue system. Books in the Lormor Library can be checked using the main University Library catalogue searching facility at Opening hours are as advertised on the Library notice board, but even when, during Term, the Library is shut, areas are available for quiet work. Access is gained via key coded lock; the code can be obtained from reception or porters. If you have any questions or special needs, please ask the Librarian. 85. If you are interested in paid work as a Student Librarian, please ask the Librarian, Mrs Holmes. 86. You will have to pay a fine if you return books after they are due, and, in addition, the full cost of replacement of books you do not return. 87. Please remember that this is a communal facility, and do not eat or drink in the Library. It is a quiet environment for study, so mobile phones must be turned off before entering the library.

88. Your Residence Charge includes 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, normally at: Monday to Friday Breakfast Lunch Dinner 08.00-09.00 12.30-13.45 18.00-19.00 Saturday & Sunday 08.30-09.30 12.30-13.30 17.00-18.30

89. If you do not wish to take lunch on a specific weekday, you may during the first full week of term only sign out for the whole term. That term's bills will be slightly lower (only food costs will be deducted). 90. Except in exceptional circumstances, you may not take food, crockery or cutlery out of the Dining Hall unless you have permission from the duty supervisor to take meals to students confined to their rooms by illness. Please return crockery and cutlery as soon as you can, and report the illness to the College Office. 91. Dress Code - Please do not arrive for meals in the Dining Hall dressed in your night attire; slippers are just about acceptable but dressing gowns, pyjamas etc ARE NOT. 92. The servery team will not serve you any meal unless you produce your Campus Card, for the safekeeping of which you are responsible. If you lose your card, or allow it to become damaged, defaced or illegible, you will have to pay for a replacement. Temporary meal vouchers are available from the JCR President, Vice President or Sylvia Hall in the Catering Office. Faulty cards to be reported to Sylvia Hall. Campus Card replacement is achieved by emailing but please wait for a reply to your message before heading down to ITS with photo ID and £5. The charge for replacement is waived if you have a police report of theft crime reference number.

93. Campus Cards are intended for your own personal use only. Nobody else is authorised to use them to collect College meals (except in cases of sickness, with the specific prior approval of kitchen staff). You should not lend or part with them, and you are entirely responsible for any use made of them. 94. If you wish to bring a guest, you must pay for them in cash at the servery, at a cost (including VAT) of £3.50 for Breakfast, £3.75 for Lunch and £4.75 for Dinner. 95. If you live out of College you can eat in the Dining Hall but you will have to pay in cash for each meal as you take it. If you wish to eat in regularly, the Bursar may be able to make special arrangements for you. 96. If you have special dietary needs please speak to John Turner, Catering Services Manager; we regret that we cannot meet all such needs. 97. If you wish to observe Ramadan or other recognised periods of fasting, you can ask John Turner, for packed breakfasts and lunches or alternative dining arrangements throughout this time. If you wish to take no meals in College during these periods please contact Steve Rayner. 98. You may, at the discretion of the Bursar, order packed lunches for official excursions, provided that you ask (in a book in the Dining Hall) for them by 10.00am on the previous day - for Sunday and Monday, 10.00am on Friday.

99. LINEN AND LAUNDRY Linen The college will not provide linen. Students have two options. 1. 2. Provide own linen Purchase linen from College – College to be notified of request before 28th August Email: Bed linen packs include: 2 x Pillows 2 x Pillowcases 1 x Duvet 1 x Duvet Cover 2 x Sheets Bathroom Pack includes: 2 x Bath Towels 1 x Hand Towel £35


100. Machines in the College Launderette are operated by a smart card which can be obtained from reception and the shop, a deposit of £2.00 is payable. It costs £1-50 for a wash and 50p for a dryer; however the card must topped up with £5.00 note. Please inform Ann Midgley, the Housekeeper, if any machines are not working properly. Refunds for the remaining balance on a card can be obtained from reception at end of term. 101. The linen should be taken home at the end of term; at the end of the year the linen can be donated to Deerness Dog Kennels, bags will be provided in the laundry for donations.

102. Day to day management of the College Bar is delegated to a Sabbatical Bar Steward by the Bursar who is the Designated Premises Supervisor for licensing purposes and is ultimately responsible for the good operation of the Bar. The Bar Supervisory Committee holds regular meetings to oversee the running of the Bar. Hours of opening are agreed with the College Officers and may be reviewed from time to time.

103. The JCR fitness suite, which contains a wide range of cardiovascular and resistance equipment, is located at one end of the JCR. 104. Before you can use the facilities you must first join the gym and complete the appropriate induction course - see the JCR Fitness Suite Co-ordinator for details. 105. To meet health and safety requirements, at least two people must be in the Fitness Suite if any of the equipment is in use. 106. The keys and air conditioning controls must be exchanged with campus card at reception during reception’s opening hours. After 5pm, this exchange must be with the porter.

107. The College arranges for all new students to register with a local doctor during the first week of term, and you should bring your NHS medical card (if you are a UK resident) with you when you first come to Durham. At the same time you must let us have the name and emergency daytime contact number of your next of kin. 108. If you feel seriously unwell, and certainly if you feel the need for an ambulance or a doctor's visit, you or a friend should inform the College Office or a Porter.

109. If you are seriously ill and requested to stay in hospital please ensure that the hospital is informed that there is no dedicated person to look after you on release from hospital. With your permission the JCR president can inform a family member about your welfare. 110. If you are worried about your health, you may find it useful to get in touch with NHS Direct on or 0845 4647, University Health Centre on 3865081, or arrange to see a doctor at the Claypath Surgery on 3746888. 111. It is your responsibility to ensure that you inform Departments and the College if you are ill and unable to fulfil your academic obligations. You can do this by completing a form available from the College Office. 112. If you are suffering from a medical condition which may make you susceptible to sudden crisis, please let Janet Stewart, Pardip Sander or Leanne Miller the College Secretaries, know. 113. You are strongly advised to register with one of the dental practices in Durham as soon as possible after arrival, making it quite clear at the time of registration whether you wish to be treated as an NHS or as a private patient. 114. If your health or a change in health (e.g. broken leg) during your time in college affects your ability to evacuate the building in the event of an emergency, please contact Jayne Dixon to agree a safe exit plan.

115. The College, the wider University and its students and staff make increasing use of I.T. and you will find it helpful if you have acquired at least a basic competence before you arrive. 116. Our I.T. suite, maintained from the JCR Computer Fund, has computers connected to the University network. There are also bookable facilities in the University Computer Centre, Elvet Riverside, the University Library and elsewhere.

117. The College operates a laptop library, which allows students, free of charge, to borrow a laptop computer. The standard loan period is two weeks but can, depending on availability, be extended in certain circumstances. Loans may be made from Kevin Miller’s office or the College Office. A deposit cheque of £250 is required. This will be returned uncashed at the end of the loan period, provided the laptop is returned in good working order. 118. All College rooms are connected to the University I.T. network. Details of the service and what you will need to use it are on 119. If you bring your own PC you should consider fitting it with a voltage protector, since voltage variation sometimes occurs, and neither the electricity suppliers nor the University will accept responsibility for any damage caused by this. 120. Whether or not you have your own PC, you must become aware of, and abide by, the University Computing Regulations. These can be found at 121. You must take particular care that in using the University's machines or network (including DUO – Durham University Online, the University's Virtual Learning Environment) you are not in breach of Regulations II (d) (vi-viii) which prohibit the creation, transmission or other use of material which is blasphemous, indecent, obscene, pornographic, racist or otherwise offensive, which is designed or likely to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, or which is defamatory. 122. You are expected to check your e-mail at least once a week and are strongly advised to read it more often than this. 123. Failure to read e-mails will not be regarded as a valid reason for failing to respond to College communications.

124. The JCR runs a College shop, open from 9am to 9pm daily for the sale of a wide variety of soft drinks/tea/coffee, goods, from sandwiches to stationery.

125. A contractor runs a Pizza Shop in the JCR area between about 7.45pm and 11pm most nights during term. Rental income is shared between the College and the JCR. 126. Please ensure your pizza boxes are placed in cardboard recycling container, with food remains removed.

127. The College has one public telephone inside the Red Telephone box in the JCR, and a number of phones with which you can make internal calls within the University and call the emergency services if required. 128. If you do not have a mobile phone you should give family and friends the number of the payphone or internal phone nearest to you that accepts incoming calls. 129. In an emergency messages for students may be left with the JCR President, on 0191 334 5050 or at the College Reception on 0191 334 5000. This is for genuine emergencies only. 130. Please make sure that you e-mail your mobile phone number to us at (and remember to let us know of any changes!). This will save time if we need to get in touch with you urgently. 131. It is very rare to be able to gain a good mobile network signal within College (Orange and 02 currently have the greatest signal strength).

132. Your postal address will be : Collingwood College South Road DURHAM DH1 3LT

133. Mail from Departments and the University Office is often sent to College, so it is important that you check for incoming mail at least once a week – even if you live out. 134. Parcels and registered post are kept by elected JCR members and are distributed from the shop at arranged times; other post is placed in the pigeon holes in the JCR. 135. If you wish to write to Departments or other Colleges you can use the (free) University internal mail service, please hand mail to reception. 136. Please ensure that your post is not delivered to College during vacation periods. Personal mail will NOT normally be forwarded during the vacation. If you are not returning to College please notify your new address to anyone likely to write to you. 137. Unclaimed post may be returned to sender after two months. 138. You should note that although the College and the JCR will try to ensure that student post is dealt with promptly and efficiently, they cannot accept responsibility for its security and safety.

139. If we find anything lying around in communal areas during term or in any areas during vacations, we will ask the JCR to try and identify the owner. If they cannot do so, we may dispose of unclaimed items after three months. 140. If you have lost anything, you should first ask reception if the items have been found. If this is not successful, please ask the JCR President.

141. An outdoor games facility is available which may be booked on the booking sheet in Reception. Please leave this area in good order for other users, and if you have played tennis, please slacken the net keys for which are available from Reception on production of your Campus Card or with the porters after 5pm.

142. If there are any spare rooms in College, you may book guests into them by arrangement with Reception. Charges are payable in advance, payments by cheque are not accepted. 143. You can accommodate guests in your own room if: • You fill in the guest book in reception, as required by the Fire Officer. • If there is any possibility that you may not be with your guest 24/7 you should complete a guest registration form; this will give your guest the ‘authority’ to be on site and also to access your room in your absence. • They use sleeping bags (extra linen is not provided). • They stay for no longer than three successive nights, except with the specific approval of a College Officer. • You accept full responsibility for their actions, which must conform to College Regulations. • You make arrangements with Reception or Porters for car parking at College (if this is necessary and possible). • If your guest is found wandering around college without a registration card, they will be asked to leave the premises – whatever time of day or night it is and the porter will not open your room for them. 144. The College will not ask you to pay (except for College meals, which must be paid for in cash when taken) for guests staying in your room provided that you and they abide by these rules; if not you may have to pay full commercial room rates for each night of their stay.

145. If you are resident in College you will be issued with a room key which will also open the main entrance door, and most external fire exit doors. You must hand this key back at the end of each term or when leaving to go home even when you have an extended let.

146. Most bedrooms are equipped with a storage area under the bed, which may be secured, to an extent, with the aid of a padlock, which the occupant should supply. PLEASE ENSURE THAT THESE ARE NOT OVERFILLED AND ARE LOCKED DURING THE VACATIONS. THE COLLEGE ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY FOR AN INDIVIDUAL'S PERSONAL BELONGINGS-YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO ENSURE YOUR PERSONAL BELONGINGS ARE ADEQUATELY INSURED. You may be fined if damage occurs to the bed due to overfilling. 147. If you lose your room key you will be charged £30 for a new key, please contact the Porter on duty. Do not leave your room open in the hope you will find your key, if this occurs you may be given an additional fine. If you find your key within 3 weeks a full refund will be made. If you lose the key a second time the charge is £50. If you do not return the key at the end of term you will be fined £50. 148. To help safeguard all College residents, including yourself, you should never, under any circumstances, loan or give your keys to someone else. 149. If you mislay your key, a porter will, when it is convenient, open the room with a master key. We may charge a fee if you have to ask a Porter to do this more than once a term, or habitually. The Porters will not, under any circumstances, open a room for anyone other than the occupant.

150. You are responsible for ensuring that you have a licence for any TV – neither the University's licence nor a licence held by your parents will cover you. TV Licence detector teams have in the past gone from room to room to review status of licence holders. 151. The maximum size of TV allowed in bedrooms, 20”. 152. There are aerial sockets only in the new block rooms.

153. A music practice area is available in the York Block to students who have registered themselves with one of the College Secretaries. The key can be obtained from reception in exchange for your campus card and with the porter after 5pm. These facilities have been recently transformed into a state of the art music centre. Students from the Music Department have priority between 9am and 5pm on weekdays. Collingwood students who are not members of the Music Department are welcome to use the music rooms during those times, but will have to make way for Music students if any come needing the space. 154. The recording studio may only be used by authorised trained students. 155. Groups of people may not use this area except by prior arrangement with the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor.

156. We try to provide a professional and caring service to all members of College. If you feel that you have not received the service you expect, please discuss this first with whoever you expected to provide the service. 157. If you are not content with their response, you can then go to the Bursar. It helps if you raise any matter at or soon after the event, or non-event. 158. If you are still unhappy, you may make a formal appeal to a College Officer - if it concerns accommodation, catering or domestic services, usually the Bursar, if it relates to the Library, the IT Suite or the College Office, usually the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor. 159. If you still feel that the matter has not been settled to your satisfaction you should raise the matter with the Principal and if you are not satisfied with his response you may take the matter to College Council and thereafter to the Dean of Colleges, Professor John Ashworth, at the University Office, Old Elvet.

160. If you are unhappy with your treatment by the JCR or DSU, or with the conduct of their affairs, or you think you are being unfairly disadvantaged by not being a member, you should first discuss the problem with those directly responsible. 161. If you are still unsatisfied, you can raise your concerns with the JCR President or any of the College Officers.

162. In a community of intelligent adults there should be little need for formal discipline. The basic understanding is that you are free to do whatever you like so long as it is legal, complies with the College Regulations [incorporated into the Student Occupancy Agreement and reproduced toward the end of this Handbook] and the codes of practice of the College and the University, and does not harm, inconvenience or cause damage to yourself, other people or anyone else's property. You should of course realise that living in a community demands self-discipline and consideration for others. 163. On the rare occasions when the need arises, the Principal, Senior Tutors and Bursar (the College Officers) are responsible for discipline in the College, in close collaboration with the JCR President. 164. The College Porters, who have a responsibility with regard to College safety, security and property repairs act under the instructions of the College Officers, as do the resident Fire Officers. All members of the College are expected to heed their instructions and requests, and they have been told to report problems to the College Officers. In any instances of breach of these guidelines you should surrender your campus card on request to the porter. 165. A College Officer – normally the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor - may impose a penalty, which may include a fine, or issue community service. In urgent cases, he may in consultation with another College Officer impose exclusion from the College for a period of up to 24 hours. 166. Any penalty will be confirmed in writing, and failure to abide by it may result in exclusion from the College. 167. Community service will include carrying out various tasks in and around college to the benefit of the community; this could be as simple as, cleaning the voids, moving furniture or clearing out drains, or as complicated as grounds enhancement or improvement. You are requested to arrange a date and time to carry out your service with the

Operations Facilities Manager. If you do not arrange a time for your convenience, a time will be arranged for you at the porters’ convenience. If you fail to attend for your community service you will incur a fine and be banned from the bar until your service is complete. 168. Where misconduct by a student or against a student involves the police, procedures are explained in the University Code of Practice on the Notification of Misconduct to the Police and Internal Action. 169. Any student who is penalised under the disciplinary procedure may appeal in writing, within seven days of imposition of the penalty, to the Principal, who will investigate the matter and give a decision within 21 days. 170. If students are dissatisfied with the Principal's decision they may appeal in writing to the College Council, which includes representation from the University Council and all three Common Rooms. Such appeals should be given to the Secretary to the College Council, Mrs Germaine Holmes. A special appeal meeting will be called, which may in the absence of the Chairperson be chaired by any of the members nominated by the University Council. 171. Students shall have the right to be accompanied at the Appeal by a College Tutor or a friend. The procedures of the Appeal shall be generally consistent with the appeal procedure set out in the General Regulations of the University. 172. The College Council in coming to its decision shall discount the votes of the Principal and any College Officers or JCR member involved at earlier stages. 173. The decision of the College Council shall be the final stage in the College Appeals Procedure, but the matter may then be referred to the Dean of Colleges on the application of either the student or the College Officers. 174. In serious cases the Principal, a "properly recognised authority" under the General Regulations of the University, may impose exclusion from the whole or any specified area of the College. Any appeal will lie to the

Senate Discipline Committee, described in the General Regulations of the University. 175. In cases where a student is accused of a Major Offence within the meaning of the Disciplinary Regulations of the University, the matter will be dealt with under the procedures of those regulations, but temporary measures as detailed above may be taken until such time as the procedures are completed. 176. The Bar Steward and Members of the JCR Bar Committee, representing the Licensees, are fully authorised to ban students from the bar for misbehaviour, reporting their decision to the Licensees. Please be aware that a ban from the college bar may result in a complete ban from all University Bars and conversely, that a ban from another college bar may result in a complete ban from the Collingwood Bar. 177. While on the premises of other colleges, students are subject to their regulations, and any breach of these will be addressed through Collingwood’s disciplinary procedure, in consultation with the other College.

178. This College is a multi-cultural community with members from a wide variety of ethnic, national, social and religious backgrounds. Such diversity within our community requires that each member should be aware and accepting of the cultural traditions and sensitivities of others from different backgrounds. 179. Any form of insensitive, intolerant or bigoted behaviour of any kind e.g. sexual harassment, culture or racially motivated harassment, however expressed, will be regarded as personal harassment and dealt with as such.

180. The College bar, which is staffed by students and managed by an exstudent, is an important part of social life, a place to meet and drink in a civilised atmosphere. Both the Bar and the College have a policy of active opposition to alcohol abuse and its consequences. 181. Excessive consumption of alcohol may cause anti-social behaviour but never forms an acceptable excuse for this. All games and challenges involving alcohol are banned. 182. Although many of the effects can be the same, the legal position on drugs is different from that of alcohol. Obviously, the use or possession of any controlled substance on College or University premises is an offence and will lead to disciplinary action. 183. The University’s code of practice specifically defines the following as major disciplinary offences, punishable by expulsion: a) The possession of prohibited substances with an intention to supply others on University premises. b) The theft or attempted theft of dangerous drugs from University stocks or elsewhere. c) The manufacture or attempted manufacture of dangerous drugs or prohibited substances using University equipment or premises. d) The receipt or intended receipt of prohibited substances through the post. 184. If the College Officers become aware of a criminal offence they have to inform the police. 185. Alcohol and drug abuse can have serious and damaging physical and psychological effects, including psychiatric disorders such as depression. Effects can be cumulative, developing undetected over many years, but the more immediate effects on behaviour and academic performance are also extensive. 186. When we are aware that someone is abusing alcohol or drugs, we are always willing to help. Our prime concern is not to punish but to deal with the problem, and we can arrange for assistance. Only if a student

is unwilling to tackle the problem or if poor performance or misconduct continues will more formal action be taken.

187. The security, good state of repair and reasonable cleanliness of your room are your responsibility, and you may be charged for damage or defacement of the room or of the fixtures, fittings, furniture or any other moveable items belonging to the College. Rooms are checked by housekeeping at the start and end of each term and any defect noted will be charged to the occupant. Please take time to check your room for defects when you commence residence and report defects to housekeeping or porters. 188. Broken glass must be disposed of in the bins provided; you can find these in your nearest pantry. 189. We strongly believe in recycling: please dispose of used glass bottles in the recycle bins provided. We also have recycling points for paper, cardboard, batteries, plastic bags, plastic cups, plastic bottles and cans. 190. If you fail to keep your room in good condition you may have to pay the costs of work needed to restore it to an acceptable condition, and it may mean that you will not be allowed to return to a College room in subsequent years. 191. Please ensure adequate access to your room and adequate floor space for the housekeeping team to clean your room. 192. Do not leave items on windowsills; if they fall they may cause damage or hurt someone. 193. Please save money and the natural environment by closing windows (though you should ventilate your room regularly to keep it fresh and to avoid condensation), switching off lights and computers and turning off central heating units when leaving your room. 194. It is a condition of your residence in College that you ensure that all electrical equipment you bring into the College is safe and that you do not exceed the maximum overall electrical load.

195. Electrical appliances such as kettles, water coolers, toasters, irons, refrigerators (except as below), sandwich toasters, heaters, electric blankets (unless with the permission of the Bursar on receipt of appropriate medical evidence), disco equipment, Christmas fairy lights and cooking apparatus, or socket adapters are expressly prohibited. Although this list is indicative of what is prohibited it is not exhaustive and other items may be added without notice, if you are in any doubt as to whether something is prohibited please ask first. 196. Coffee machines are allowable if they are rated less than 1kw, have no hot plate, no spout (frothing type for cappuccino) and switch themselves off automatically. 197. Do not use hair straighteners on wet hair – the fire alarms in College rooms are very sensitive and there may be a fine if activated. 198. Do not overload electrical sockets, maximum 1 five-socket extension per room. 199. One mini-fridge may be kept in a college room provided that it does not: a) exceed power consumption of 70W - must be energy efficient b) make any noise (i.e. it is virtually silent) c) contain or generate CFC or HFC d) cause any obstruction in cleaning or maintenance e) remain in the room during any vacation. 200. By signing your licence agreement you have agreed that any electrical equipment which does not conform to these requirements may be removed from the Room and kept by the College until collected by you or until the last day of term, when it will be returned to you, if goods are not collected at the end of the year they will be given to charity. 201. By signing your licence agreement you have agreed not to loan, give or sub-let your room or room key to anyone.

202. Bikes should not be left on College Premises after the year’s end without first the approval of the College Officers. Any bikes left will be tagged and if not removed after 3 months will be taken away or given to charity.

203. Study bedrooms and landings are not suitable for the holding of parties. Discos and other JCR functions are held from time to time with College approval. All JCR-organised events which bring visitors into the College must have the prior approval of the College Officers, and for this a completed Function Request form must be submitted to Reception at least 10 workings days in advance; any event organisers must make sure that they comply with this, in order to ensure that activities within the College can be properly coordinated. 204. If you wish to organise an event and you are not part of the JCR Exec or Ents team please contact the JCR social secretary with your idea and if acceptable they will help you through the procedure. Any nonauthorised events will be stopped by the porter on duty or College Officers. 205. The adjoining Botanic Garden of the University, a facility open to and used by the public, may not be used by members of the College for sunbathing, parties or picnics. Student access is not allowed when the Garden is closed to the public. 206. Between 1 May and the end of examinations no college events or large parties are permitted. 207. Any mess or damage resulting from parties and social events must be reported to the Porter on duty. Any mess should be cleared up by the persons concerned as soon as possible. Any additional costs incurred by the College in this way will be charged to the organisers of the event.

208. If you are an undergraduate student you are required by the University's Regulations to keep term in each of the subjects or courses for which you are registered. 209. What this means is that you must attend courses of instruction in each of them to the satisfaction of the Chair of the Boards of Studies or Boards of School responsible for those subjects. 210. This includes fulfilling academic engagements (including examinations, collections, departmental tests, written work, tutorials, seminars, practical classes, professional placements, field courses - including any held during vacations - and interviews) to a satisfactory standard. 211. If you fail to keep term satisfactorily the immediate consequences may range from informal warnings by your department or a College Officer to a formal notice from the Deputy Dean or Sub-Dean of your Faculty. 212. This will initiate a monitoring processes and possible disciplinary action at University level which may have extremely serious results. 213. If you are having any problems in fulfilling your academic engagements it is important that you see somebody in College – usually one of the Senior Tutors, or the College Secretary – or your department without delay.

214. The College needs to know the whereabouts of its members during term-time. If you wish to be absent from College for one to three nights during term you should inform the College by entering in the Absence Book in Reception your name, room number, address and phone number while away, date of departure, date of intended return, and on return, the date of actual return. 215. If academic commitments are to be missed or a student is to be away for more than 3 nights an Absence Form must be collected from the College Office for completion. Permission must be obtained from the College and each Department where a module is being taken.

216. You should leave your room on the date shown in your Occupancy Agreement and mentioned in the End of Term Notice. If you do not leave, and have made no previous arrangements to stay on, you may be charged for your accommodation at a full commercial rate. 217. The End of Term Notice will tell you whether any accommodation is available for students over vacations – many areas of the College may not be available because of maintenance work or because they are occupied by visitors. 218. If you wish to leave before the end of term you will have to collect a form from the College Office, gain departmental approval and then that of a College Officer. 219. If you are a continuing student you will have to register for the following year towards the end of the Easter Term. 220. Permission to register early must be obtained from the Dean of Faculty by completing the relevant application form (obtainable from the College Office) before the end of the first week of the Easter (Summer) Term. Permission is usually granted only if your absence at the normal time is due to circumstances beyond your control. Specific arrangements are made with certain departments concerning field trips and for students representing the University in sporting events.

221. If you plan to change your degree course (even if you change it during the registration process) you must report it promptly to the College Secretary.

222. For most home undergraduate students, an annual tuition fee of up to £3145 is payable in three instalments. Local Authorities (LAs) may make further payments to the University. Students whose tuition fees are being paid in whole or in part by LAs should remember to re-apply

each year. PLEASE NOTE THAT A £50 ADIMINISTRATION CHARGE WILL BE APPLIED BY THE UNIVERSITY IF EITHER THE TUITION FEE ASSESSMENTS OR REASSESSMENTS ARE NOT SENT TO THE COLLEGE ON TIME. 223. It is worth noting that one of the consequences of the new arrangements for student tuition fees is that all students, including those paying the old style fees, will be able to access a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company to pay for the fees. This loan is only available to pay an outstanding fee liability, so you must not pay the fees yourself if you wish to access the loan facility. 224. College bills are payable (cheques to be made payable to Durham University) not later than one month after the date of the invoice in the first term and not later than 14 days after the invoice in the second and third terms; cheques must have been cleared by that date. College bills should be collected on the first day of term. (Please note all livers-out also have a college bill in the first term) 225. If you delay payment without having discussed any problems with a Senior Tutor, the Bursar or the Accounting Technician, the University may impose an extra "late fee" of £50. A handling charge of £25 will be levied on all cheques that are refused clearing, in addition to the "Late Fee" surcharge. Please note that the officers concerned need to know that you have problems; please don’t just hope they’ll go away, discuss them early …! 226. If you do have problems you can seek time to pay or help from funds which the College administers. Details and application forms are available from the College Office. If you do apply you may be asked to produce supporting evidence. 227. You will not normally be allowed to progress to the next academic year unless all financial obligations for the previous year have been fulfilled, and if you have not paid College bills you may not be allowed back into College for the following term. Continued failure to meet your obligations may eventually lead to exclusion from the University.

228. University regulations normally forbid the conferring of a degree, diploma or certificate on students who are in debt to any part of the University, including the College. 229. The Special Projects and Travel Fund (forms and information from the College Secretary) can help with vacation activities. Please apply via the College Office by the advertised deadline in each term for activities planned in the following vacation. 230. The College Student Support Fund, financed from fines, can provide occasional small payments to help students in need. Ask a College Officer.

231. You must read and understand the College fire regulations, posted in each room, which will tell you the location of your nearest fire exit and your Assembly Point. 232. A two-phase fire alarm system previously operated in the College but has been changed due to the confusion it often caused. If you hear any fire alarm in the building you must evacuate immediately, proceed to the designated assembly point, and remain there until you are told that it is safe to return. 233. You must not interfere with fire alarms, fire notices or fire fighting/detecting equipment. Any breach of this will incur an immediate £125 fine and the possibility of prosecution 234. If you set off a fire alarm without good cause you may have to pay a substantial fine and any consequential costs. In exceptional circumstances an offender may also be required to go out of residence. 235. Collingwood is a no smoking college; smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the College buildings, entrances or within a 5 metre radius of the building. The designated smoking area is in the car park. A standard fine of £50 will be imposed for a breach of this regulation. 236. If you are not careful when you use aerosol sprays, a hairdryer or hair straighteners for a long period of time, or you leave doors to bathrooms or shower rooms open while you are using them and for 15 minutes

afterwards, or if you don’t take care when using the microwave ovens and the toasters in the pantries, you may set off fire alarms. If so, you will face disciplinary proceedings – and may find yourself deeply unpopular with over 500 other students! We need the fire alarms and smoke alarms to be set sensitively: they need to alert us early, for safety purposes. 237. It is a very serious offence if you interfere with the smoke detector in your room (this is easily traced) and you will be expected to pay a large fine together with any costs of repair regardless of whether it is a first offence. 238. Misuse of the fire alarms and fire fighting equipment is an offence and the College reserves the right to seek investigation and prosecution. 239. Both the possession and the burning of candles, joss sticks or incense are strictly prohibited, and will be regarded as a disciplinary offence. 240. You must not put posters or decorations in any common area (including landings, stairwells and corridors) of the College without permission. There are notice-boards for student activities in the foyer. 241. Fire evacuation drills are held at regular intervals under the supervision of the College Officers and the JCR President. You are required to take part, and you are expected to evacuate the building in less than 3 minutes, failure to do so may incur a fine and the fire drills will continue until College Officers are satisfied with the evacuation time.

242. To ensure continuous improvement within College all accidents, however small, including near misses must be reported to the Bursar/Operations Facilities Manager. 243. BBQ’s may be used on the meadow only when events are not occurring, the charcoal and firelighters must be placed in a metal bin, all food remains and containers to be placed in rubbish bin. 244. Please complete a Health & safety comment card (located on the wall outside the porters’ office) when a potential hazard has been seen. 245. Please read the enclosed Health & Safety Charter and bedroom do’s and don’ts.
Collingwood College Bedroom Do’s & Don’ts
Do Make yourself at home Recycle & be Energy Efficient Feel free to cover up pictures in en-suite rooms – using blu-tac Display posters using blu-tac ======================================================================= Don’t Drill any holes in walls Use staples or drawing pins in walls/doors or furniture Keep any candles, joss sticks in bedroom Use toasters, irons, sandwich makers, heaters, electric blankets or similar in your room – They will be confiscated Overload electrical sockets - 1 five plug extension only per room Use Christmas lights





246. You are responsible for the security of your personal property. University Insurance gives limited cover in the event of fire at College, but none against theft. We advise you to take out insurance if you are not covered by a 'temporary removal' clause in your parents' insurance policy. 247. Please lock your room when you leave it, and be particularly careful not to leave open any external doors to the College, even if you are just popping out for a moment – theft is not the worst thing which could happen if intruders gain access. If your room is on the ground floor or easily accessible from the ground outside, please remember to lock your window when you leave the room. 248. Do not hesitate to ask people you do not recognise who they are, and if you see anyone behaving suspiciously, tell a Porter or any member of staff. 249. Please report any theft or loss immediately to a Porter, to Reception, or to a College Officer.

250. We have termly meetings of the college environmental team to ensure best practice is shared between colleges and within the college; any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. 251. Recycling collection points are found in the JCR and in each pantry on Durham and Northumbria Blocks. Kerb it style collection boxes are placed in all en-suite rooms for the collection of paper, cardboard, glass, plastics and cans – please ensure these are rinsed clean. Please leave box accessible for ease of collection. When recycling please remove any food stuffs and clean out tins/cans/bottles (NO BROKEN GLASS OR JAGGED EDGED CANS/TINS) before placing into recycling bins, failure to do so will contaminate the whole collection and it will be placed into the general waste. 252. We aim to conserve energy where possible; please switch off equipment and lights when not in use. 253. At the end of term housekeeping will issue air ambulance bags, all unwanted items (food, bed linen, clothes, electrical appliances, bikes etc)will be given to charity, clear bags will also be issued for donations of bedding to Deerness cat & dog rescue kennels.

254. Personal harassment involves unwanted, intimidating, embarrassing or demeaning conduct of a personal, sexual or racist kind. It can range from offensive remarks or gestures and the display of offensive material to actual physical harassment, whether by a fellow student or by a member of staff. 255. If you feel you have suffered such harassment do not feel that it is your fault or that you have to tolerate it. Do not hesitate to contact someone even when an incident occurs only once, if you are concerned about it. 256. You can seek advice and help in a number of ways.

a) If you feel able to make it clear to the person causing you offence that such behaviour on that person's part is unacceptable to you this may in some instances be sufficient to stop it. If you feel unable to tackle the person concerned, this does not constitute consent to the harassment nor will it prejudice any complaint you may wish to bring. It may be useful for you to keep a note of details and dates of any relevant incidents which distress you, including a note of the ways in which the incidents cause you to change the pattern of your work or social life. b) Talk about the problem with a friend or any College Officer, Tutor, or the Chaplain, all of whom are willing to discuss incidents or problems, however large or small they may seem. c) The College has two Tutors, Nancy Radford and one to be appointed, with special responsibility for giving counsel and advice in this area. You can also talk to one of the JCR Welfare Officers, DSU Welfare, or at the Student Health Service or student duty officer (name displayed on porters’ door). d) Any of these will advise you on a course of action or take the matter up on your behalf. They may suggest a way of resolving the problem which you have not thought of. Any discussions will be confidential and no further action involving you will normally be taken without your express permission. In particular the person about whom you are complaining will not be given your name without your express permission. e) If the harassment continues, you are advised to seek a confidential interview with whoever you think can help you best. You may wish to be accompanied at such an interview by a friend or adviser and this wish will be respected. The purpose of the interview will be to discuss the nature of the problem and to arrive at a solution acceptable to all parties. Strict confidentiality will be preserved at all stages. f) If the problem is still not resolved then you or someone acting on your behalf may make formal complaint, which may lead to initiation of the appropriate disciplinary procedures. Such complaints will be taken seriously and may lead to internal disciplinary proceedings including the possibility of exclusion from College.

g) Really serious cases, major offences under University Regulations, may be referred to the Senate Disciplinary Committee for further action. 257. The University has formal codes of practice (available on its website) relating to the personal harassment of students by staff, and the personal harassment of employees by employers, or other employees.

258. This student-operated service offers you a sympathetic ear in complete confidence every night from 21.00 to 07.00. Telephone 0191 334 6444, (internal 46444) or go round to 52 Old Elvet (opposite University Offices, Old Shire Hall ) for a cup of coffee if you are feeling distressed or unhappy, or just want a chat. They can also give practical help, such as free confidential pregnancy testing, or putting you in touch with people who can help with a particular problem.

259. You cannot keep trunks or large suitcases in your room, as this makes the work of the cleaners more difficult. Ask Ann Midgley, the Housekeeper, to let you know where you can store them.

260. All eligible resident students are registered by the College at the beginning of the academic year. Livers out must register themselves as occupiers of their houses.

261. A number of Japanese students from Teikyo University in Durham are affiliated to Collingwood and in particular take all their meals here. Please help them feel at home in Collingwood, and encourage their integration into the life of the College. There are members of the JCR who take a special interest in the Teikyo link, and they have tutors who will also look after them.

262. The College welcomes donations to funds set up to provide help for future students, or for other purposes. Although small gifts to staff whom students wish to thank for their help are appreciated (they are never, of course, expected), it is not appropriate for staff to accept items of significant value

263. If you live out you remain a member of the College and are encouraged to enjoy the privileges of membership no less than those who are resident. 264. You can obtain a front door key from a porter on payment of a deposit of £10 which will be refunded when you return the key. 265. As well as its social and other services the College remains an important point of contact with the University on official and academic matters and must be able to get a message to you in an emergency. It is therefore essential that you let the College know your up-to-date term-time and home addresses and telephone numbers (including your mobile number), and that you report any significant illness. 266. You must check for mail in College at least once a week during term University departments may well address important and urgent mail to you here. You must also check your Durham ITS e-mail account regularly for similar reasons. 267. You must make yourself aware of the University Code of Conduct for Students Living Out of College, which is reproduced at the back of this Handbook.

Collingwood College Accommodation Regulations for Resident Students You should note that under these Regulations you will be held responsible for any guest or member of your family invited into or living with you in College Accommodation. You MUST: AR1. Familiarise yourself with fire notices posted in your Room, and be aware that you are responsible for the safety of all who enter your Room. AR2. Leave your Room and go to the appropriate Assembly Point when a fire alarm has been sounded. AR3. Obtain individual TV licences for your own television sets, whether purchased or rented. AR4. Ensure that your mattresses remain on the bed-bases at all times, covered with mattress covers, and that curtains are left in position and not replaced by your own curtains. AR5. Place used chewing gum, wrapped, in waste bins, not on floors or outside paving. Failure to observe this regulation will render you liable for all reasonable costs of cleaning or replacement. AR6. Tell the College if you have been in contact with a serious infectious disease, and not thereafter reside in College without specific authority to do so. AR7. Tell the College if your full-time registration is to be suspended or changed to part-time study. AR8. Ensure that music played by you, or other sound made by you and any others with you, in your Room or in common areas, does not disturb other residents, especially after 11 pm.

AR9. Shut and where appropriate lock all external doors and windows on entering or leaving property owned or managed by the College, and not prop open any doors which can be used by the public. You MUST NOT: AR10. Smoke in your Room, in toilets, bath or shower rooms or in any other common area. AR11. Change your Room without the permission of a College Officer. If you are allowed to change Room at your own request you may have to pay an additional charge to cover cleaning and administration costs. AR12. Allow guests to stay overnight in your Room without informing the College Office by e-mail (to, giving the name of the guest and the length of your stay. The College Officers reserve the right at their absolute discretion to prohibit any such stays and to charge at a fixed rate of £20 a night for each guest where a guest stays for more than 3 consecutive nights in any one month. AR13. Sub-let your Room or allow other people to stay in your Room while you are not using it. AR14. Use as a double room a Room which has been let as a single room, or share your single room with any other person, whether you are a member of the University or not. AR15. Gain access to boiler rooms, rooms containing electrical installations or the roofs. AR16. Tamper with fire alarms, fire detectors and fire fighting equipment. If you set off a fire alarm without good cause you commit a serious disciplinary offence, and you may have to pay any costs reasonably incurred by the College and the Emergency Services and the College reserves the right to seek investigation and subsequent prosecution. AR17. Burn or keep in your Room or any common area any inflammable, incandescent or explosive items or substances, e.g. fireworks, candles, joss sticks, incense or car batteries.

AR18. Bring in or keep in College firearms (including replicas), airguns or any kind of dangerous weapon; it is a criminal offence to carry a knife longer than 3 inches (76.2 millimetres) in a public place. AR19. Place broken glass or crockery in waste bins – you should use the special arrangements for these. AR20. Keep or use in your Room electrical appliances such as kettles, toasters, irons, refrigerators, sandwich toasters, heaters, electric blankets (unless with the permission of the Bursar on receipt of appropriate medical evidence), disco equipment, Christmas fairy lights and cooking apparatus. AR21. Use socket adapters; one 5 gang sockets is permitted provided in each room. AR22. Use any electrical equipment (e.g. televisions, musical equipment) in communal living spaces, such as kitchens or common rooms, unless it is safe to use and EITHER has passed a Portable Appliance Test (in which case it should be labelled accordingly) OR is promptly returned to your Room after use. AR23. Leave any electrical appliances switched on but unsupervised. AR24. Overload electrical circuits in your Room; the maximum overall electrical load is set at 5 amps. AR25. Install additional heavy electrical equipment, such as, but not limited to, refrigerators, washing machines and heaters without written permission from the Bursar. AR26. Fit a bulb more than 60w in reading lamps. AR27. Keep or use in your Room gas or liquid fuel heaters. AR28. Keep bicycles in your Rooms, or any common area, or ride them within College. AR29. Throw anything out of any Room window.

AR30. Park, use or keep motor vehicles on College property without the specific permission of the College, and except in compliance with the University’s Code of Practice. AR31. Keep any additional fittings or fixtures, or articles of furniture in your Room, or hang posters or Christmas decorations in any common area (including landings, stairwells and corridors) or attach pictures, posters or other paper items to the doors or ceilings of any Room with sellotape, gum, drawing pins, tacks, nails or other such methods; blu-tac may be used but must be removed from walls at the end of term. AR32. Bring in or keep livestock or pets in any Room. AR33. Display obscene or offensive remarks in any common area. AR34. Carry out any business, trade or other commercial activity from your Room, or use any College address for any such purposes. AR35. Conduct door-to-door campaigning, political canvassing, collections or evangelising within College without the written permission (which will be given only in exceptional circumstances) of a College Officer.

AR36. In the event of any dispute between the College and you as to the terms of these Accommodation Regulations or the Licence Agreement you may, but do not have to, use this Disputes Procedure. We hope that most disputes can be settled informally between students and College Officers and staff.

AR37. Stage 1. Notice of any formal dispute should be made in writing to the Bursar, who will investigate the matter and give his or her decision within 14 days of receiving the notice. AR38. Stage 2. If either party remains aggrieved at the decision or outcome of Stage 1 of the College Disputes Procedure, you may appeal in writing to the Principal who will investigate the matter and give his or her decision within 21 days of receiving the appeal AR39. All matters relating to this Agreement are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.

STUDENTS LIVING OUT OF COLLEGE: CODE OF CONDUCT (FOR STUDENTS OF COLLEGES IN DURHAM AND STOCKTON) 1. MAINTAINING CONTACT WITH YOUR COLLEGE OR SOCIETY Students who 'live-out' remain members of their College or Society and are encouraged to enjoy the privileges and responsibilities of membership of those communities no less than those who 'live-in'. In addition to being a focus of social and recreational life, to which it is hoped you will frequently return, not least to collect mail directed there, your College or Society remains an important point of contact with the University on official, academic matters and must be able to get a message to you in an emergency. It is therefore essential that your College or Society be kept informed of your correct term-time address. 2. ON BEING GOOD NEIGHBOURS Your neighbours may not be familiar with the University or with the pressures and exuberance of student life. Indeed you may be their only contact with the University. The University and your fellow students may, therefore, be judged by your behaviour. It is of the greatest importance for future generations of students that you establish and maintain good relationships with your neighbours (and they with you). The goodwill of the local citizens is essential for 'Town and Gown' relations and in any case you will derive greater pleasure from living out if you get on well with your neighbours. 3. NOISE Excessive noise, especially late at night, is very un-neighbourly and can cause great distress, particularly to those whose working day starts and finishes earlier than yours or who need an undisturbed night. Do please respect the needs of others, particularly in terraced houses with thin walls, and keep radios, TVs and music systems at a low volume. If you have a party at your home, remember to inform your neighbours and to promise them that it will finish at a reasonable (specified) time, after which they can be assured of peace and quiet. 4. CAR PARKING The other major source of complaint by local residents arises from the inconsiderate use and parking of motor vehicles. The General Regulations of the University require that all students bringing motor-vehicles to Durham City must make satisfactory arrangements for the parking or garaging of such vehicles and must report the registration number to the Head of House. Please remember that residents find it very annoying to have someone else's car permanently parked outside their front window.

5. UNIVERSITY-CITY LIAISON AND THE CODE OF CONDUCT Local residents who have cause to complain of student behaviour (or students needing help with their neighbours) may contact the City Liaison Officer in the University Office or the Bursar at Queen's Campus, Stockton as appropriate, who will, if necessary, advise your Head of House. If disciplinary action via remonstration and fines proves ineffective (and it is hoped that there will be no such case), the College or University authorities are empowered to deal with the matter as possibly constituting a major offence, for which the penalty could be rustication or expulsion. Of course any citizen who is repeatedly disturbed by excessive noise or other disgraceful behaviour may have recourse to the Environmental Health Officer or to the Police.


(Durham is a comparatively small city and the parking and garaging facilities which it offers are limited. The proportion of students to the total population is exceptionally high and the streets, for the most part, are exceptionally narrow. The University has neither the space nor the finance to enable it to make adequate provision for parking or garaging facilities for more than a very small proportion of students and staff. University policy is therefore to strongly discourage unnecessary usage of motor vehicles by students within the city.) 1. Every student of the University who lives within the designated area of Durham City and who keeps or causes to be kept for his/her use, any motor vehicle must obtain a University Motor Licence issued on the authority of the Dean of Colleges and Student Support Services on the written recommendation of the Head of House of their College/Society or a duly appointed deputy. 2. To be eligible for the granting of a licence, a student must be: a. A graduate living in College, or b. An undergraduate living in College/Society accommodation who has exceptional individual special needs such as medical need or need related to academic work, or c. An undergraduate living in College/Society who will use the vehicle for the agreed purposes of a University Department, or a University or College/Society club or society. d. A student living out of College/Society provided that no more than two licences will be issued to a single residential address. The issue of a licence will be subject to any other parking restrictions operating in the area in which the car will be parked or garaged. Please note, an undergraduate student in his/her first-year of study will not normally be eligible for the granting of a licence except in circumstances covered in (b) above. 3. Applications for a licence must indicate what parking or garaging facilities are intended which shall be to the satisfaction of the Dean of Colleges and Student Support Services. 4. An application for a licence must be made no later than seven days after the vehicle being brought into the designated area. Once granted, a licence shall be valid until the end of the current academic year.

5. A licence shall at all times be displayed prominently on the vehicle for which it is issued. 6. The issue of a licence will be conditional on the person to whom it is issued being able to provide relevant documentation to the Dean of Colleges and Student Support Services, to include a current insurance policy document, vehicle registration (VIN) document and driver’s licence. 7. The issue of a licence does not in itself constitute permission to park on any land controlled by the University for which a separate permit will be required. This includes Palace Green. Such permission will only be granted when a specific need is identified. Vehicles entering on to University property shall be subject to any additional regulations (e.g. parking fines) as are advertised from time to time. 8. Breaches of regulations may lead to the imposition by the relevant Head of House of fines not exceeding levels to be determined annually by Council for first and subsequent offences. Note: In 2005/06 the maximum fine for a first offence will be £50 and the maximum fine for any subsequent offence will be £100 9. These regulations do not apply to the short-term hiring of motor vehicles or the receiving of driving instruction. 10. A student who intends to drive a group transport vehicle, or to tow a trailer as part of an activity organised through or by the University (including its Colleges/Society, Departments and Student Organisations), must comply with the University Code of Practice for Group Transport as set out in this Calendar and meet the requirement for the Approval of Drivers. 11. For the purposes of the above sections a. The Dean of Colleges and Student Support Services may, on behalf of Council, appoint an appropriate person to administer and control the issuing of licences within these regulations. b. The “designated area of Durham City” will be defined from time to time and shall be specified areas within a 5-mile radius of Durham Cathedral, within which the Dean of Colleges and Student Support Service, in consultation with the President of DSU, deems it convenient to travel on foot or by public transport. c. Land controlled by the University and University property will be taken here to include land and property owned by the Recognised Colleges of St Chad’s and St John’s


COLLEGE DAMAGES' CHARGES This is a representative sample of charges recently incurred by college residents, please note the College reserves the right to alter and amend charges and/or fines subject to circumstances. 1. Broken Ceiling Tiles £30.00 each 2. Damage to internal walls £50.00 3. Vomit around College £50.00 4. Losing Room Key £30.00 5. Not returning room key at end of term £50.00 6. Fines for noise nuisance £50.00 7. Bayley Room untidy £ 20.00 Money collected from fines/charges will first be used to pay for making good any damage or provision of labour for cleaning etc. the remainder will be added to the student hardship fund. The process of charging for damages and losses is being reviewed and may well differ from the detailed practices mentioned above. However, the principle of recovering damages and losses from within the College community remains good practice. Invariably the actual cost per term may change but it is within the remit of the JCR and College members to be involved in the charging methods and will therefore be kept at a minimum. DAMAGE TO AND OR MISUSE OF FIRE EQUIPMENT 1. Safety Tags and/or pins removed from extinguishers £125.00 each 2. Fire Alarm Point Glass Broken £125.00 3. Removal of any Fire Signs £50.00 4. Non-emergency discharge of Extinguisher £125.00 5. Non-emergency activation of Fire Alarm £125.00 6. Removal of or tampering with (including covering) the bedroom fire detector £125.00 7. Leaving a fire door propped open when unattended £50.00 8. Not leaving building on the sounding of fire alarm £125.00


College Plan When the fire alarm sounds – leave by the nearest fire exit – a fine of £125 will be made to anyone who stays in a bedroom or communal area without good reason Students should assemble in the relevant car park and await instructions.


COLLINGWOOD COLLEGE: General Information for 2008-2009


UNDERGRADUATES Freshers Room available from 11am First Meal Returning Students Room available from 2pm First Meal Academic Term Starts Academic Term Ends Last Meal Vacate Room by POSTGRADUATES Standard Room available from 2pm First Meal Last Meal Vacate Room by 10 am PGCE- Primary Room available from 2pm First Meal Last Meal Vacate Room by 10am PGCE- Secondary Room available from 2pm First Meal Last Meal Vacate Room by 10 am Wednesday 01.10.08 Dinner 07.10.08 Lunch Saturday Sunday Dinner Lunch Saturday Sunday Dinner Lunch Saturday 17.12.08 20.12.08 28.09.08 07.10.08 17.12.08 20.12.08 21.09.08 07.10.08 17.12.08 20.12.08 Friday Dinner Breakfast Thursday Friday Dinner Breakfast Thursday Friday Dinner Breakfast Thursday 02.01.09 18.01.09 21.03.09 09.04.09 02.01.09 18.01.09 21.03.09 09.04.09 02.01.09 18.01.09 21.03.09 09.04.09 Tuesday Dinner Breakfast Saturday Tuesday Dinner Breakfast Tuesday Tuesday Dinner Breakfast Sunday 14.04.09 26.04.09 27.06.09 19.09.09 14.04.09 26.04.09 27.06.09 11.07.09 14.04.09 26.04.09 27.06.09 18.06.09 Sunday Dinner 05.10.08 05.10.08 Sunday Dinner Monday Friday Breakfast 10 am 18.01.09 18.01.09 19.01.09 20.03.09 21.03.09 21.03.09 Sunday Dinner Monday Friday Breakfast 10 am 26.04.09 26.04.09 27.04.09 26.06.09 27.06.09 27.06.09

Tuesday 07.10.08 Dinner 07.10.08 Wednesday 08.10.08 Wednesday 17.12.08 Lunch 17.12.08 10 am 20.12.08

COLLEGE CLOSURE APPLICABLE TO ALL STUDENTS ON EXTENDED LET & ALL POSTGRADUATES/PGCE’s Vacate Room by 10 am Saturday 20.12.08 Room available from 2pm Friday 02.01.09 Vacate Room by 10 am Thursday 09.04.09 Room available from 2pm

Tuesday 14.04.09



How to get to Collingwood By Car From the A1(M) heading South
Take the A690 turning signposted Durham, turn right at the roundabout at the top of the slip road, continue straight on across the first roundabout take the left turn at the next roundabout over the bridge. Go straight over the first set of traffic lights, bear right over the second and straight over the third located at the New Inn Public House. Collingwood College is the third turning on the left hand side.

From the A1(M) heading North
Take the A177 turning signposted Bowburn and Peterlee. This is the junction with the Durham Road Chef Services area. The sign for Durham will urge you stay on the A1(M) for another junction. While this would not be a disaster, it is definitely a longer route and is likely to involve more traffic hold-ups. Take the A177 exit from the roundabout (2nd turning), signposted Bowburn. The road will take you through Bowburn Village and on to Shincliffe village. Follow the road for about 4 miles until it reaches a roundabout and take the first exit. You will pass the University Science site on the left and reach a set of traffic lights. Turn left at these lights and proceed up the hill. Collingwood College is the third left turn, which is just after the hill flattens out.

From the A167
Take the turning sign posted Durham at the roundabout. Follow the road towards the City Centre and, after approximately 1 mile, turn right into Collingwood College.

By Bus
The number 6 bus runs every 15 minutes from Durham Bus Station and stops outside the College.

USEFUL CONTACTS Tel No Principal Senior Tutor Chaplain Reception/Porters College Office Bursar Ops Facilities Manager Accounting Technician Housekeeper Catering Services Manager Librarian JCR President
NHS Direct


334 5011 334 5024 334 50246 APPENDIX 334 5000/3 334 5015

Vice Principal & Senior Tutor 334 5012

334 5013 334 5017 334 5022 334 5040 334 5036 334 5026 334 5050 0845 46 47

Bar Steward Fax e-mail: website:

334 5052 334 5035

To top