EASTERN BUSH TURNPIKE
EASTERN EXTENSION Progress Report
North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) January 2010
The Eastern Extension is a portion of the outer loop around Dallas and Corridor Updates
its suburbs that connects Interstate Highway (IH) 30 to the existing
• In Section 28, on the east end of the Rowlett Creek bridge, the
President George Bush Turnpike (PGBT). It is part of the Loop 9/State
earthwork subcontractor has constructed the bridge header em-
Highway 190 corridor ﬁrst envisioned in the 1960s. Construction on the
bankment. The contractor continued drilling bridge support shafts.
approximately 9.9-mile corridor began in October 2008. The project is
Crews also began placing the retaining wall panels on the project
expected to open to trafﬁc in fourth quarter 2011.
and installing the roadway’s underdrain system.
• In Section 29, crews continued installing precast retaining wall
panels at the Miles Road bridge and at the Merritt Road header
Corridor Details banks.
• Project limits: Extends the PGBT from State Highway (SH) 78 • In Section 30, the contractor continued work on the future Mer-
to IH 30 ritt/Liberty Grove connector, the Liberty Grove overpass and the
• Project length: Approximately 9.9 miles railroad crossing. Crews placed lime and cement stabilization in
• Anticipated project cost: Approximately $1 billion various areas, placed asphalt, and excavated for the main lanes.
• Anticipated NTTA cost: Approximately $623 million They also put up temporary shoring walls south of the train tracks
and installed retaining walls, storm sewer lines, and sanitary
• Anticipated opening date (all sections): Fourth quarter 2011
sewer and water lines. Workers also placed bridge decking for the
Liberty Grove overpass and the Merritt/Liberty Grove connector
and constructed the Liberty Grove lift station. Construction of the
Milestones temporary trafﬁc signal at Main Street is complete; trafﬁc will soon
• A $160 million toll-equity grant from the Texas Department of be shifted to the northbound frontage road detour.
Transportation (TxDOT) to the NTTA was approved for right of • The Section 31 contractor continued installing precast retaining
way (ROW) and other costs on August 23, 2007. wall panels south of Kirby Road and doing earthwork from the
• A three-party agreement among the NTTA, TxDOT and the Federal southern project limit proceeding north. Utility relocation continues.
Highway Administration (FHWA) was executed in November 2007. The detour at Miller Road has been installed.
In addition, a TxDOT/NTTA two-party agreement was executed, • Section 32 is being constructed by TxDOT.
allowing eminent domain proceedings for critical ROW acquisition
to begin; property acquisitions are ongoing.
• TxDOT approved a revised schematic on March 7, 2008. Next Steps
• The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Section 404 permit • Open the service road in front of the Mariners Cove subdivision
was approved April 25, 2008. in Rowlett, Section 30
• The City of Dallas (Dallas Water Utilities, or DWU) agreement for • Switch rail service to temporary tracks in Section 30
the Lake Ray Hubbard bridge was approved by the Dallas City • Continue construction on all sections
Council and NTTA Board of Directors in May 2008.
• A rail-crossing agreement with Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) Project Partners
was approved by the DART Board and NTTA Board, also in May
2008. • TxDOT • Garland
• FHWA approved the Final Environmental Impact Statement Re- • Dallas County • Rowlett
evaluation on July 1, 2008. • Dallas • Sachse
• A groundbreaking for the ﬁrst construction contract, Section 30,
from north of the future Merritt Road to south of Main Street in Corridor Manager
Rowlett, took place August 21, 2008. Construction began on
October 13, 2008. Pat Ellis, P.E.
5900 W. Plano Parkway, Suite 800, Plano, TX 75093
• All ﬁve sections of the extension were ofﬁcially under construction
E-mail: PGBTEE@ntta.org Phone: (972) 628-3163
by mid-March 2009.
Web site: www.ntta.org
I Sachse Wylie
ide Section 28
or SH 78 to west
Bu of Miles Rd. Section 29
rn west of Miles Road
pik to north of future
Valley Rd. Future Merritt Road/
d r. Liberty Grove
tR eD Road Connector
Hi Section 30
north of future
Merritt Rd. to south
of Main St.
I I I
I I I Rowlett
I I I
I I I I I I I I
I I I I
I I I MainI
DART I I
Belt Line Rd.
south of Main St. to
Lake Ray Hubbard
NTTA System (Open to Trafﬁc)
Lake Section 32
Ray Hubbard (TxDOT)
Existing Ramp Gantry Lake Ray Hubbard
Proposed Main Lane Gantry north shore to IH 30
Proposed Ramp Gantry
Interstate Highway d.
U.S. and State Highway
Toll project details
County Line not to scale
President George Bush Turnpike Eastern Extension
Progress Report Web site: www.ntta.org