The City of Shafter Seeks an
Innovative ▪ Forward-Thinking
with Vision for a
21st Century Law Enforcement Agency
√ 4 Divisions The City of Shafter
√ 102 Employees Is accepting applications for the
√ $14.5M Budget position of
Community Correctional Facility
Animal Control Police Chief Police Chief
• Youth Recreation Programs
336 Pacific Avenue - Shafter CA 93263
(661) 746-5006 - www.shafter.com
THE POLICE CHIEF COMPENSATION
As a member of the City Manager’s executive management team, the Police Chief is responsible for city wide
The current salary range is $8,655 - $10,520 monthly. The City
policing policy recommendations and implementation of city council policy. The Police Chief reports to and
serves at the will of the City Manager. offers a full range of employee benefits including:
• Health, Dental and Life Insurance 100% City paid premi-
The current Police Chief is retiring the spring of 2010. This opens up an opportunity for an experienced law en-
forcement professional seeking to lead a department with a solid reputation. The City is seeking Police Chief ap-
• Vision Benefit plan
plicants with a solid background in law enforcement management that includes both organizational development Police Department Personnel
and resource management skills. Specific characteristics and attributes that are important for this position: • Retirement Plan. CalPERS Safety 3%@55 plan. City pays
employees 9% contribution. Optional Employee Paid De-
• Be an effective leader with the ability to set goals and objectives and motivate others to contribute effectively
to their achievement. •
ferred Compensation program.
Leave Benefits. Ten to Twenty-five days annually based on THE DEPARTMENT
• Direct and participate in the Department’s budget preparation and administration. length of service. Five days management leave annually. Ten
• Embrace new ideas and innovations and be effective at implementing them. observed holidays, two floating holidays and twelve days sick
• Possess an awareness of multi-cultural issues and concerns and be willing and able to foster department rela- leave annually.
tions in that type of environment. • Uniform and Equipment Allowance. $1,050 annually.
• Be an effective communicator orally and in writing with the ability to clearly explain complex issues. • Flexible Benefits Spending Plan
• Assigned Vehicle Program
• Possess strong management skills in organization development, operations analysis, and planning.
• Build trust and confidence with the community, City Council and City Manager through performance. Correctional Facility
• Possess hands-on police and management skills with the ability to delegate and give credit to others.
• Maintain an open, approachable style with the community.
• Team player and consensus builder with the ability to make presentations and work effectively with commu-
nity groups that represent a variety of law enforcement and general community interests. POLICE (29) CORRECTIONS (66)
• Possess a high degree of integrity and personal ethics.
Youth Center Police Captain Assistant Chief of Corrections
Administrative Assistant I Corrections Sergeant - Vocational
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS Interested candidates should contact PATROL (19) SUPPORT SERVICES (7) ANIMAL CONTROL (1) RECREATION
BUSINESS SERVICES (14) SECURITY (50)
City Manager John Guinn - City of Shafter Corrections Lieutenant - Corrections Lieutenant -
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. 336 Pacific Ave - Shafter CA 93263 - (661) 746-5006 5 Police Sergeants Records/Dispatch Supervisor Animal Services Manager Part-Time Recreation Coordinator
3 Part-Time Recreation Workers
Support Services Security
• Ten years of law enforcement experience with at least three years at
the sergeant level or higher. Applications will be accepted until a sufficient number of 4 Senior Police Officers 6 Dispatchers 2 Part-Time Shelter Workers Clerk Typist
4 Corrections Sergeants
qualified applications have been filed. Application, detailed 10 Police Officers Cook Supervisor
• Current POST certification. Consideration will be give if recertifica- resume and DMV printout required. Applications available
3 Extra Help Police Cadets 4 Cooks 3 Senior Corrections Officers
Corrections Instructor 42 Corrections Officers
tion is required. online at www.shafter.com. 2 Instructors