Head of Corporate Business Development
Reports to: Commercial Director
Responsible for: Team leadership, management of corporate business revenue
generation, client retention, new account development and product development.
Main contacts; Clients, Corporate Business Development team, Centre Delivery teams,
Education Business Development team, Marketing and Communications team.
Main purpose of the role
This new and exciting role has arisen as a result of the recent re-organisation of The Trust’s
corporate business activities. Our focus going forwards will be to further develop our core
business specifically in the Apprentice and Graduate development markets whilst
maintaining our current capability in Team and Leadership development. These Learning
and Development programmes will be delivered through our network of five residential
training centres across the UK, with occasional use of third party venues. We will continue to
work closely with long term clients to deliver programme outcomes that make meaningful
and sustainable improvements to individual, team and organisational performance.
The Head of Corporate Business Development will play a vital role in the realisation of our
ambition for this re-focussed area of our work, with specific responsibility for revenue
generation, client retention and new account development, product innovation and
leadership of the Business Development team. The role will also involve working in close
partnership with other teams across the Trust, including Product Delivery, Marketing and
Communications and Education Business Development.
1. To provide inspirational leadership, management and support to the recently established
Corporate Business Development team.
2. To manage and develop the Corporate Business income stream to deliver against
challenging sales and quality targets and in accordance with The Trust’s strategic plan.
3. To nurture, develop and manage relationships with strategic customers and other key
external partners and stakeholders.
4. To work in close partnership with the Head of Education Business Development and
other teams across The Trust to maximise the performance of the organisation in the
context of our strategic plan.
5. To be the focal point for Corporate Business product development, market knowledge
and customer insights.
1. Considerable experience working at management level within a corporate sales
environment; ideally related to training and development, outdoor learning or similar.
2. Sector specific knowledge of the Apprentice and Graduate training and development
markets and associated funding streams. Existing client and provider networks will be a
3. Leadership of a successful and innovative sales team, with a demonstrable ability to
motivate and encourage performance.
4. Delivering against revenue and product quality targets in a service environment.
5. Successful new product innovation and development.
1. Educated to degree level or equivalent.
2. Qualifications relevant to corporate learning and development product delivery an
advantage but not essential (for example, MBTI, NLP, APIOL etc).
Skills and abilities
1. Ability to inspire, lead, motivate and develop staff through clear communication of vision
and strategic direction.
2. Effective communicator with excellent written, verbal and inter-personal skills.
3. Commercial acumen and creativity, with strong negotiation skills.
4. Integrity and honesty, inspiring confidence and openness amongst colleagues; skilled at
building motivated teams committed to the vision and values of the organisation.
5. Financially literate, with practical experience of using IT as an analytical and
1. Personal commitment to and a genuine enthusiasm for the work of The Outward Bound
2. Support and co-operate with colleagues to meet current and future business needs and
to promote collaboration across The Trust.
3. Commitment to quality, customer service, best practice and continuous improvement in
all aspects of The Trust’s operations.
Terms and Conditions
£35,000 to £40,000 per annum according to experience, plus performance related pay of up
to 25% of salary.
Based at our Hackthorpe Head Office with frequent travel to client premises, Outward Bound
delivery sites, etc.
37.5 hours per week but on occasion such reasonable hours as may be required for the
proper performance of the duties (including work in the evenings and at weekends).
24 days per annum rising to 30 days over 2 years, plus bank holidays.
Company car provided
Life Assurance: 4 x salary, covered from start date; includes Employee Assistance
8 weeks’ sick pay at full salary in any 12 months
Long-term Disability Insurance: 2/3 salary less state incapacity benefit after 6
months’ absence, covered from start date
Private Healthcare (currently BUPA): on application after completion of probation;
Pension Scheme (Pensions Trust): on application after completion of probation;
contributions 5% from employee and 10% from employer
Berghaus uniform items provided. Also opportunity to purchase Berghaus products
Staff bursaries: discounted course fees for family members
Childcare voucher scheme
How to apply
Please submit your CV together with a supporting letter providing evidence and examples of
the experience requirements set out in the selection criteria listed in the Personal
Please give the names, positions, organisations and telephone contact numbers of at least
two referees, one of whom should ideally be your current or most recent employer. If you
specifically do not wish referees to be approached without your prior permission then please
make this clear.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com or sent to:
The Outward Bound Trust
Should you have any queries relating to any aspect of this appointment process, or require
additional information, please contact Lucie Alexander on 01931 740004.
Below is an indicative timetable (although dates may be subject to change);
Adverts appear: from 25 November 2009
Closing date for applications: 18 December 2009
First interviews notified: week commencing 21 December 2009
First Interviews: from week commencing 4 January 2010
Final Interviews: from week commencing 18 January 2010