TITLE: Senior Product Manager
Location: Overland Park, KS
Organization: Consumer and Industrial (C&I)
Reports to: Business Director, Water Care
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Summary: This position is responsible to a) provide marketing expertise, direction, management and
coordination to the C&I business unit and each of its product groups; and b) assist in all business management
and development activities for the assigned product group (i.e.: Water Care).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the
right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
Provide expert how-to counsel and hands-on support to all product group teams to:
• Design, conduct and apply consumer/user research, including syndicated data (e.g. IRI, Nielsen).
• Develop and execute brand and product strategies.
• Develop and execute brand and product portfolio management strategies.
• Develop and execute pricing strategies and guidelines.
• Develop and execute integrated marketing plans, including trade and consumer promotions, multi-
media advertising (e.g. television, radio, OOH, print), and public relations.
• Conceive, develop and commercialize product and packaging innovations.
• Conceive, develop and finalize Category Management Presentations.
• Manage agencies (promotion, public relations, advertising, media, staffing).
• Plan, report and manage marketing spending to target levels.
In partnership with the General Manager, develop organizational infrastructure, capability and competence
commensurate with business unit strategy.
• Conduct opportunity analysis including market/competitive/channel assessment.
• Assist in development and execution of five–year business strategy and annual operating plan.
• Assist in development and execution of brand strategies, pricing strategies and marketing plans.
• Assist in management of relationships with outside agencies (consumer promotion, advertising, media,
• Coordinate and support design and creation of promotional and packaging materials with internal and
external resources as required.
• Participate and assist as required in analysis and coordination of new product development projects.
• Assist in and/or participate in key account calls or trade shows as needed.
• Assist in troubleshooting Quality and Service issues.
• Participate in SOIP (Sales/Inventory/Operations Planning) process.
• Liaison between Sales, Finance, Pricing, Customer Service, Production Planning, Purchasing,
Operations, Quality Control and other internal groups to help drive business strategies.
• Assist with monthly forecasts, analysis and reporting.
Qualifications: Business unit goals require an individual who has the marketing and business expertise
required to perform each essential function with immediacy. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
Page 1 of 3
A Bachelors Degree in Marketing is required; an MBA in Marketing is strongly preferred. A minimum ten years
experience as product/brand manager or similar marketing or business position, and demonstrated knowledge,
experience and results in the aforementioned Essential Duties & Responsibilities, including the following key
elements is required:
• Consumer/retail and industrial businesses
• Channel management
• Brands and private label
• Portfolio of products and brands
• Combination of big company/world class with smaller/entrepreneurial
• Balancing base business with new products/business
• Agency management
• Marketing coaching, training and advocacy
• Multiple internal customers
• Classically trained
• Good business acumen.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have excellent PC skills -- advanced Excel, Word, Visio
Power Point, and Outlook skills
Customer Service - Responds promptly to internal and external customer needs; Responds to requests for
service and assistance; Meets commitments. Understands different points of view and relates them to objective
standard. Fosters collaboration; getting people to work together.
Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things. Quick
learner with strong work ethic – failure is not an option. Ability to sell an idea or program based on facts or
figures not just opinion.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits/Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents
numerical data effectively;
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives.
Must have exceptional multi-tasking skills – managing schedules, emails, etc. Excellent attention to detail and
time management. Ability to adjust pace and schedule to meet deadlines. Works with sense of urgency and
able to work well under pressure.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with
respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Follows through on commitments. Driven by a
vision for the business and a desire for impact.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies
feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Language Skills: The abilities listed are representative of the level of competency the incumbent needs in order to
effectively perform the essential duties. These specific abilities may or may not be required for this particular position.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Mathematical and Reasoning Ability and Skills: The abilities listed are representative of the level of competency the
incumbent needs in order to effectively perform the essential duties. These specific abilities may or may not be required for
this particular position.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as incentives, commissions, proportions, percentages. Ability to
apply concepts of basic algebra. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions
furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in
standardized situations. Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Experience in financial analysis.
Page 2 of 3
Essential Job Functions: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or
feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and
stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally
lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
If a candidate cannot be identified at this level, consideration will be given for a different level.
Compass Minerals is an equal opportunity employer that hires and promotes the best candidates without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status.
M/F/V/D encouraged to apply
Page 3 of 3