Moderating Writing for
Introduction and aims
Activity 1 Identifying Key Indicators
Activity 2 Moderating Samples
Activity 3 Setting Targets
To develop teacher knowledge in the
formative assessment of writing.
To develop moderation skills across key
To discuss and identify the key attributes
at a range of sub levels.
To clarify the role of formative assessment
in the target setting process.
1. Move into working groups.
2. Use year group appropriate pages from
3. Discuss and identify the key indicators
(no more than 3 or 4 at each level)
essential for attainment at each sub
1. Using the samples brought, review the
levels given and in the light of the
previous discussion, moderate with
2. Identify a focus for teaching to move the
1. Use the NLS ‘Target Statements for
Writing’ to identify the priority targets for
the child and convert into ‘I can’