What is this thing called…..
A Physical Science Slide Show
By: Ms. Fraser
Everything is made up of MATTER
Stars Matter is anything
Planets that takes up space
and has a
What phases is MATTER
Solid-molecules are tightly together-hold it’s
1. Amorphous solid: a solid that you can shape,
acts like a liquid but is a solid
2. Crystalline Solid: molecules are arranged in a
Liquid-molecules are held loosely together-the
liquid takes on the shape of its container
Gas-molecules are semi active, apart from
each other-doesn’t have a shape
Plasma-molecules are extremely active
How does MATTER change from
one phase to another?
By adding or removing….
What is Matter Made up of?
► Molecules are so incredibly small that you
can not see one just by looking at it with
► Molecules are tinnier than a pin point but
they are not the smallest bit of matter…
► Atoms are! They make up molecules
which make up matter.
Physical Changes of Matter
Take an egg for instance,
when you fry it, are the
egg molecules in the fried
egg still the same?
You Bet! The egg only
went through a physical
change-a change in it’s
Although the physical
appearance changed, the
molecules do not.
It went from a liquid to a
Other Examples of Physical
Getting your haircut
Cutting up paper
Growing into an adult
Painting a wall
Chopping up wood
Chemical Changes of
• Occurs when molecules change
into a completely different
• For example: take vinegar and
• When combined, the molecules
make a whole new substance.
• Examples of chemical changes:
Candy, soda, cookies, toothpaste,
crackers, fireworks, rust
Enjoy your labs on…
“Making Plastic Milk,”
“Making Homemade Glue”
They are a mineral
whose atoms are
arranged in a very
pattern that are
repeated over and
It is symmetrical.
Example: a snowflake
Without crystals, we wouldn’t
Toothpaste Video games
Salt Diamond rings
Enjoy your lab growing
your own crystals!
• Take a look at yourself right • Natural polymers-made in
• Are you wearing any plastic • Your fingernails, egg whites,
• Maybe you can see some rubber, wool, porcupine quills
plastic on the tips of your and lobster shells.
shoelaces or • So…… what on earth are
• Your buttons on your shirt are POLYMERS?
made of plastic.
• All of the plastics you are
wearing are synthetic
• These are substances made
• It is made up of many molecules strung together
like a chain of paper clips.
• Pretend that each paper clip is one molecule
• That each molecule is exactly the same kind of
molecule as the one next to it
• Sometimes they are long skinny strings
• Some look like ladders
• Some loop around with many side chains
Make your own Polymer!
• Polymer Putty
• It does a lot of cool things:
• Bounces and stretches in weird ways
• It is made by means of a chemical reaction
• Remember what that is?
• It’s when the molecules of two or more different
substances break down and recombine to form
an entirely different substance.
• Find out how it works…you will now perform this