Use your voice, be heard, make a change for all youth in San Mateo County
Join the San Mateo County Youth Commission!
What is the San Mateo County Youth Commission?
The San Mateo County Youth Commission is a group of young people ages 14 to 21
who reside or attend school in San Mateo County. They come together to exchange
ideas, work on projects, research, advocate youth issues, and advise county officials
on youth perspective. The Youth Commission works to ensure that all youth are rep-
resented in San Mateo County. Youth Commissioners attend monthly training meet-
ings, Youth Commission public meetings, and attend their county board/commission
meeting. For being a Youth Commissioner and attending your three monthly meetings
we offer community service or a money stipend.
If you want to be an official member of the San Mateo County
Youth Commission, you must:
• Live or attend school in San Mateo County
• Be between the ages of 14 to 21
• Be able to attend Youth Commission Training and Public Meetings held on the 2nd
and 4th Thursday of the month from 6:15pm to 8:15pm
• Be able to attend a County Board/Commission Meeting
• Have the time and energy to commit yourself to attending meetings,
• community events, and support other commission activities/events
• Be able to attend a weekend retreat
• Turn in a letter of recommendation
• Turn in photo release paper
How to apply!
Submit completed application to YDI either through
Fax (401-7755) or Mail (YDI 700 S. Claremont St, Ste 231, San Mateo, Ca, 94402
You will be contacted for an Interview
Contact: Giselle Williams for more information: 650-401-8617 x13
Or by email: Giselle.Williams@yfes.org
Or visit our website: www.bethedifference.org
San Mateo County Youth Commission 2008-2009 Application
Date of Birth:___________________Age:___________________________
Emergency Contact Information
Parent/Guardian Print Name:_____________________________________
Alternative Contact Name:_______________________________________
I understand that participation in each of these projects requires attendance at the meet-
ings as scheduled by the Project Coordinator. If selected, I pledge to attend meetings and
participate as an active team member in the project. I understand that some meetings and
events will take place on the weekends and in the evenings. I commit to these responsibili-
As a parent or guardian, I have read through the information about the program and support
my child in applying for this project.
• Describe yourself. What are your talents, skills and interests?
• What makes you a strong candidate to be a Youth Commissioner?
• What issues do you think are affecting youth in San Mateo County?
• What experience do you have working in a team? What does teamwork
mean to you?
• What other commitments do you have outside of school? Hours per week?
• Can you commit 2 hours per week on the Youth Commission?
• Questions for us?
Please take sometime to answer the following questions. Feel free to use a
separate sheet of paper. If you do use a separate sheet, please sign the sheet once
completed. Thank You.
Name of the youth you are referring:__________________________
How do you know the youth? For how long?
What are the unique skills or talents you feel this youth has to bring to San
Mateo County’s Youth Commission?
How have you seen the young person demonstrate those qualities?
Are you available to support the young person in their role as a Youth Com-
If YES, how?
___Provide access to resources
___Check in to be sure they are following through with commitments
___Help them connect their work as a Youth Commissioner to their local com-
munity (i.e. school, neighborhood, faith community, ect.)
Is there anything else you feel we should know youth that makes him or her
a strong candidate for the Youth Commission?
Name/ Signature Date
I agree to appear without payment in photographs and video taping used by Youth and
Family Enrichment Services. You may use and reuse forever, or license others to use my
pictures for any editorial or public relations purpose including annual reports and bro-
chures. You may edit the photograph of video as you see fit, and I understand that you
have no obligation to use my appearance. In consideration of my execution of this release,
all parties agree to the following:
1) No personal names will accompany my likeness in any photograph.
2) Youth and Family Enrichment Services will not use any picture to make a direct
endorsement of any product or service.
I have carefully read the above information and am indicating my understanding by signing below.
Name of person appearing (please print)
Signature of person appearing
Signature of parent
(if person is under the age of 18)