JOHN C. ANDERSON, a veteran of the Civil war, was born in what is now
Fawn township, Allegheny Co., Pa., Dec. 12, 1840, a son of Moses T. and Sarah
John Anderson, the founder of the family in this country, was a native of
Scotland who came to America at a very early day, settling along the
Conococheague river in Cumberland county, Pa., whence he later went to
Robert Anderson, a son of John Anderson, married Mahala Thomas, and
after his marriage secured 300 acres i n the woods in Allegheny county. There he
spent the remainder of his life, and his remains were buried in the cemetery at
Moses T. Anderson, a son of Robert Anderson, and father of John C.
Anderson, was born in may, 1808, and after his marriage located in Allegheny
county, Pa. in 1872 he settled in Freeport, Armstrong Co., Pa., where he died in
his eightieth year. His wife survived him, living to be eighty-four years old. They
belonged to the United Presbyterian Church. The children born to this excellent
couple were: Robert T.; William T., Elias F. (who is a physician) and James M.,
all three of whom served during the Civil war in young’s Battery, and participated
in the capture of Fort Donelson; Louisa M., who married James Patterson, of
Cedar Ridge, Colo.; John C.; Dr. Washington B., who died in South haven,
Mich.; Nancy J., who married Calvin McCool; Mary E., deceased; and Sarah M.,
who married Harvey McIntyre.
John C. Anderson grew to manhood in Allegheny county, Pa., and taught
school after acquiring a good education in the common schools and at
Leechburg academy. He enlisted for three months’ service in the 9th
Pennsylvania Reserves, and reenlisted to the same regiment for three years, but
was taken sick and eventually discharged for disability. When he recovered he
once more entered the army, this time in the 123d Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, and served until the expiration of his term, when he returned home.
Once again he offered his services, enlisting in August, 1864, in the 6th
Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and serving until the close of the war. Few men
have so varied a war record. In truth did he prove his patriotism. The majority
felt that they had done their full duty when one enlistment had been served, but
as long as his country was in danger he cheerfully risked his life in its defense.
On March 10, 1864, Mr. Anderson was married, to Ida S. Sarver, who was
born in Butler county, Pa., in 1844, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Magee)
After his return from the army Mr. Anderson engaged in farming, and later
in the mercantile business, in Allegheny and Armstrong counties. In April 1908,
he came to Indiana county, where, in White township, he has found congenial
surroundings and appreciative friends among whom to spend his days. Having
always been inbued with a strong sense of duty, Mr. Anderson has proved
himself a desirable citizen in every way, and rendered valuable service in both
public and private capacity. It is such men who presence in any community is
welcomed—in war proving themselves good soldiers, and in peace developing
into successful business men.
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have become the parents of children as follows:
Minnie F., who married William J. Hilty, a farmer of Lawrence county, Pa.; Edwin
N., who married Susie B. McClay, and lives in Virginia; Nettie N.; James B., who
married Lottie N. Duke, and lives in Vandergrift, Pa.; Mary E., at home; Sarah C.,
who married Carl Schweikart, of Vandergrift Heights; Leslie G., who married
Nora Elgin, and is a civil engineer residing at Vandergrift Heights; and Harry
Elford, who married Olive May Edminton. All of these children have been
carefully reared by conscientious parents and taught their duty to their country.
They have been well educated and have taken useful places in the world, being
prosperous and happily situated.