Double Dutch Cushion
By: Lorraine Gill, Australia
Create this beautiful pillow for your home to coordinate with a bedroom or sitting room or
as a gift for someone special. Use the beautiful embroidery designs from the Husqvarna
Viking Embroidery Library for your Husqvarna Viking Designer I, Designer II, #1+ or
Rose to make this cushion an heirloom to cherish for years to come.
1/3 yd. satin All purpose to match
1 1/8 yd. home dec solid 40 wt. rayon thread in blue, rose, pink,
1 yd. Warm and Natural® cotton batting & dk. green
3 3/8 yd. home dec. piping to contrast Bobbin thread
Optional: Rayon thread light and dark
to contrast with Home Dec
NOTIONS: MACHINE ACCESSORIES:
1 - 18” pillow form Husqvarna Viking Customizing
4 – Matching tassels System 5
America Sews Tear-A-Way™ stabilizer Husqvarna Viking Plus Hoop™
Husqvarna Viking Embroidery
Library Design 235809
Husqvarna Viking Embroidery Card
Husqvarna Viking Home Dec Kit
412 66 00 26
1. Open Customizing Pro System 5 either by clicking the on the Application Bar
or go to
Start>Programs>Husqvarna Viking Embroidery System 5 > Customizing.
2. Click on the hoop icon and select the Husqvarna Plus Vertical
hoop. Click OK.
education department/ckw Page 1 01/2001
3. Open design number 235809 from the Embroidery Library by
clicking Also open design number 25 from Embroidery Card
4. Move design 235809 into the upper left hand corner of position 1
of the Customizing screen. Make sure you stay within the design area.
5. With the corner design still highlighted click on Copy
then Paste. Now you will have two corner
designs on the Customizing screen.
6. Click to Flip Vertical. Move the second corner to
the lower left hand corner of Position 3. Zoom In if necessary to
get the design placed as shown at the right.
7. Click on the rose to highlight it. Note: If the rose is “under” one of the corner designs and you
are unable to select the rose, hold down the Shift key on the keyboard and click on the rose. Now it will
be selected. Click to Rotate 90°. Click to Flip Vertical. The rose should now
look like this.
8. Move the rose to the center of position 2. It is the intersection of the heavier
central grid lines.
9. Click Copy to copy the rose. Then click Paste.
10. Rotate the newly pasted rose 90° and Flip Horizontal. Move the rose to position 1 and
place the center of the rose on the grid 2 squares from the right and 3 up from the
heavier central grid line.
education department/ckw Page 2 01/2001
11. Now make sure everything is the way you want. The next step is to combine the design.
You can not undo a combine. So double check to make sure everything is the way you
want. Click to combine the design.
12. Click to save the Customized design. Save as Dbl dutch. The design will
automatically be saved in 3 positions for the Plus Hoop. When you click on position 1
the box with scaling handles will appear. In the upper left hand corner of the
Customizing screen you will see the file name.
13. While position 1 is still highlighted change the first green to blue. To do that click on
the first green to bring up the Husqvarna color palette. Then click
on the blue to change colors.
14. Click on position 3 to highlight. Change the green to blue. The
corner designs are now all blue. The design
should now look like the picture to the left.
15. Click to save with the new colors.
Note: If you have 3D Convert & Sort use the Color
Sort to sort colors to eliminate the extra color stops in
position 1 and 3.
16. Print the template for use in positioning your newly Customized
design by clicking on
17. Transfer the Plus Hoop design to a programmable card for Rose and #1+. For
Designer I and II combine the 3 positions of the Plus Hoop for the Large Designer
Hoop. Transfer to disk via the Disk Manager for Designer I. Transfer to Personal d-
Card via the d-Card Reader/Writer for Designer II.
education department/ckw Page 3 01/2001
1. Cut the satin into a 12” square.
2. Mark the center of the satin. Hoop the left half of the fabric using the template.
Embroider the design.
3. Turn the fabric so the design you just embroidered is on the right. Using the template to
line up the two halves, mark center, top and bottom and the sides. Rehoop the fabric.
Embroider. Note: If you are using the Plus Hoop, the hooping must be accurate,
as you cannot move the designs or each section will not line up properly.
4. With the Customized design centered, cut an 11” square. Seam allowance throughout is
½”. Snap on the Single Welt Cord foot and straight stitch in center needle position to
sew the piping onto the edge of the embroidered square.
5. Cut the home dec fabric into four 5” x 20” strips. Sew the strips to the embroidered
square and miter the corners. Optional: Thread your Husqvarna Viking sewing machine with
rayon thread in the top and cotton bobbin thread in the bobbin. Place cotton batting behind the home dec
strips and sew with a decorative stitch at one inch intervals. The sample was made using this stitch ,
stitch length 0.3, stitch width 3.0.
6. For the cushion back mark a 19” square using the Pillow Template from the Home Dec
Kit. Cut out the 19”square. Optional: Place batting and Tear-A-Way under the home dec
fabric and sew stripes and squares to form a basket weave effect using the same stitch as you did for the
front. Drop a few embroidered rose buds from Embroidery Card 17 to compliment the roses on the
7. Snap on the Single Welt Cord foot and choose center needle straight stitch. Sew the
piping around the edge of pillow front, slightly rounding corners. Sew the tassels at the
8. Place backing with right sides together over pillow front and sew being sure to leave one
side open to insert cushion. Insert cushion. Sew the opening closed.
education department/ckw Page 4 01/2001