isa-elaP (EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING ABROAD PROGRAMS)
isa-elaP mission statement
Our mission is to bring students and local communities together as a mutually beneficial experience. We strive to enhance each participant's understanding of com-
munity and social responsibility within our global society. After recognizing local need, we match the skills and interests of our students to appropriate place-
ments. We facilitate assessment meetings with on-site support staff and reflection activities through the ISA-ELAP program structure. This process ensures that each
student's service helps contribute to the ongoing efforts of the organization and the community as a whole.
Toll free 1-800-580-8826
isa-elaP at a Glance
isa-Elap placEmEnt opportunitiEs
• Spanish proficiency is required due to the nature of the program.
• Volunteering abroad through ISA-ELAP is an excellent way to work education ecology health policy Museums
immerse yourself in another country’s language and culture.
• key characteristics of a successful participant are flexibility, isa-eLap program sites Mexico
• • • •
patience, personal initiative, reliability and being comfortable with
minimal supervision. san José,
• • • • • •
• ISA-ELAP develops professional and life skills such as collabora-
tion in an international setting, interpersonal communication, and santiago,
problem-solving. • • •
• Most placements require a minimum commitment of 10 hours per
week. • • •
• ISA-ELAP may be added on during an ISA academic Semester or
Trimester program; following a Summer, Intensive Month, buenos aires,
Semester or Trimester program; or as an individual program.
• Academic credit may be possible, depending upon the criteria of lima,
• • • • •
your home institution. peru
• Please consult the ISA-ELAP website for a complete list of program
additions and prices. www.isaelap.com
social work (argentina, chile, costa rica, dominican republic, mexico, peru)
• Spanish proficiency (please see below) • Mentor disadvantaged youth or children whose parents have HIV/AIDS.
• Two years attendance at a college or university
• 2.50 GPA • Present topics such as nutrition, money management and domestic violence to women.
Please contact ISA if you do not meet the requirements. Education (argentina, chile, costa rica, dominican republic, mexico, peru)
• Teach English and assist with other classes in a local school.
spanish language reQuirement • Provide tutoring and recreational activities in an orphanage.
For a 6-8 week program, we recommend 4 semesters or 6 quarters consErvation/Ecology (costa rica, mexico, peru)
of Spanish language.
• Work on trail maintenance, lead tours and educate park visitors about biodiversity.
For a 10-12 week program, we recommend 3 semesters or 5 quarters
• Facilitate an environmental education program for a youth center.
of Spanish language.
hEalth (costa rica, dominican republic)
• Observe medical procedures and consultations with patients in a public or private clinic.
• Room and board
• Medical insurance • Assist in a pharmacy or a dental clinic.
• Pre-departure information and advising policy (costa rica, mexico, peru)
• Support of the ISA-ELAP resident staff
• Research and report to political think-tank staff on policy related to free trade, the environ-
• Volunteer or internship placement
ment and immigration.
• On-site orientation, cultural activities
• Spanish language instruction and tutoring. • Help monitor news and organize reports on women’s rights.
• Airport reception is included*
musEums (costa rica)
* For programs in Chile, please contact the ISA office for options. • Guide children through interactive exhibits or assist with drawing and painting workshops.
• Support museum staff with the management of natural history collections, historical docu-
ments, and libraries.
how to apply
You will need to submit the following at least two months before your program start date:
• Standard ISA application with $200 deposit* • ISA-ELAP Volunteer Expectations form (available at www.studiesabroad.com/elap)
• Official Transcript • ISA-ELAP Profile form (available at www.studiesabroad.com/elap)
* The deposit is fully refundable if we cannot find you a placement. • Résumé in Spanish