The Financial Times Executive Education Ranking 2009 Questions and Answers INSEAD is in joint 10th overall place among the top 45 schools in the 2009 annual Financial Times Executive Education ranking. Custom Programmes (CSP) ranked 5th of 65 schools and Open Enrolment Programmes (OEP) ranked 19th of 55 schools. Which schools are eligible to participate in this ranking? To be eligible, a school must have had executive education income of at least 2 million US$ during the previous year for both OEP and CSP. Which are the top-schools this year? 1.Harvard, 2.IMD, 3.Duke, 4.IESE, 5.HEC, 6.Centre for Creative Leadership, 7.Wharton, 8.Kellogg, 9.London Business School, 10.INSEAD, IE Business School, and University to Western Ontario: Ivey. How does the methodology work? The Executive Education ranking is a combination of a ranking of Open Enrolment Programmes (OEP) and a ranking of Company Specific Programmes (CSP). Data is collected from three separate on-line surveys of: Participants from two OEP programmes CSP clients The business schools For the OEP ranking: The FT conducted an on-line survey with participants from two programmes which ran in 2008. INSEAD provided access to the participants of the Advanced Management Programme (AMP) and Leading for Results (LFR) programmes. The survey of participants accounts for 80% of the total ranking criteria. All schools are also required to submit additional data relating to their OEP activities which accounts for 20% of the total ranking criteria. For the CSP ranking: The FT conducts a survey of a number of the schools’ CSP clients with whom the school has worked over the past three years and for whom the school has delivered a programme in the past year. This survey accounts for 80% of the total criteria. All schools are also required to submit additional data relating to their CSP activities which accounts for 20% of the total ranking criteria. This year, The FT introduced a major change to the CSP methodology by surveying an increased number of clients by way of an on-line questionnaire (schools needed to submit a minimum 20 of client contacts) instead of a telephonic interview with a small number of clients (previously 12 client contacts per school). In addition, respondents were also invited to rank more than one school, provided they had worked with them in the past year. INSEAD received 48 responses, one of the highest totals. For both OEP and CSP, calculations include data from the previous years. The weighting is 40:33:27 for 2009, 2008 and 2007 respectively. How are the various criteria weighted? Customer feedback (OEP participants and CSP clients) accounts for 80% of the total criteria. The data provided by the schools accounts for the remaining 20%. Participants and clients are asked to rate the schools, on a scale from 1 to 10, on a number of criteria ranging from the quality of faculty to food and accommodation. The schools provide statistical data such as the number of female faculty and the percentage of international participants. What are the significant changes in INSEAD’s ranking this year, compared to last year? CSP improved significantly this year moving from 20 to 5 with improvements in almost all areas. It should be noted that The FT has put in place a new methodology for CSP which may have also worked in our favour. OEP dropped three places, from 16 last year to 19 this year. We do very well on the criteria that measure the quality and diversity of our participants. However, there is room for improvement in areas such as ‘preparation’, ‘new skills and learning’, and ‘follow-up’. What are the other Financial Times rankings and how does INSEAD rank in each? INSEAD is ranked in four of the five Financial Times rankings: MBA – 5, Executive Education – 10 (OEP – 19, CSP – 5), EMBA – 6, European business schools – 3. INSEAD is not part of The Financial Times’ ranking of Master in Management programmes as the school does not offer this type of programme. What is the value of rankings? Rankings are not a perfect measure of a programme’s quality, impact and added value and they are far from being our only measure of success. However they do influence our marketplace and are useful in showing us how we are performing against other schools. Where should I direct questions? General questions about executive education should be addressed to the executive education Customer Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone +33 1 60 72 4290. Questions about the rankings and media requests in general should be directed to Helle Jensen in Corporate Communications/Media Relations at Helle.Jensen@insead.edu. Telephone +33 1 60 71 2634.