Veterans Upward Bound Frequently Asked Questions by paulj


									                           Veterans Upward Bound
                         Frequently Asked Questions

What is VUB?
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a federal program funded by the U.S. Department
of Education/TRIO designed to help qualified U.S. military veterans prepare for and
enroll in a college program of study.

Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) provides comprehensive support services to eligible
veterans interested in pursuing a college program of study. Support services are
designed to help veterans’ complete preparatory coursework, increase their access
to college, develop academic skills, and remain enrolled in and graduate from a
program of postsecondary education.

Yes! I'm interested. How do I get started?
The first step is to contact our office at 216-987-4938 to make an appointment with a
student advisor. The office assistant will set up an appointment with you and a
student advisor to develop a plan that works best for you. Just bring in your DD214!

Where are you located?
The program’s main office is located at the Cuyahoga Community College Metro
Campus, 2900 Community College Avenue, Liberal Arts, Rm. 301, Cleveland, OH
44115. VUB also has an office at TRI-C West Campus located at 11000 Pleasant
Valley Road, Parma, OH 44130. See campus locations and map.

Does the VUB program at Cuyahoga Community College only help those who
want to attend TRI-C?
Definitely not! We will help any qualified veteran who wishes to attend any accredited
college or University in Northeastern Ohio. We will help you choose the best program
and school to fit your individual needs and goals.

What must I do to qualify for VUB?
To benefit from our FREE educational services you must first meet a few simple
eligibility requirements:

     All participants must have at least 180 days of active duty, other than for
      training, with a discharge status other than dishonorable as reflected on your
      DD-214. A waiver is available for recently discharged combat veterans.
     All participants must be either low-income (based on family income and number
      of dependants) or potential first-generation college students (neither parent
      earned a four-year college degree).
     All participants must demonstrate academic potential as well as have academic
      need. Not all students have the same needs. Some students require
      developmental course work, while others need information and advisement.

If you are not sure if you qualify, please contact us at 216-987-4938. We'd be glad to
explain the eligibility requirements in further detail.

What if I am not eligible for Veterans Upward Bound?
TRI-C’s Veteran Services & Programs stands ready to meet the needs of veterans
not eligible for VUB and their families through high-quality educational, fast-track
certification, degree programs, and customized support services. For more
information call 216-987-3125 or email Mr. Richard DeChant, Executive Director at

Does it cost anything to attend VUB classes?
All VUB classes, books, and supplies are FREE to qualified veterans. Free public
transportation is available for qualified students to attend VUB Academic Enrichment

Where are the classes held?
All program services and classes are held at Cuyahoga Community College Metro
Campus located near downtown Cleveland, OH. Veterans Upward Bound has
classrooms and a resource room with a computer lab for participants to use.

What will VUB do for me?
When you begin the VUB program, you will work one-on-one with a student advisor
to discuss your needs, interests and your short-term and long-term goals. Academic
assessments are completed to determine your areas of strength. Next, an individual
educational plan is developed to help you reach your goals. Any academic
weaknesses can be worked on by attending our FREE academic preparatory
courses, tutoring, or by working independently on our computer tutoring programs.
Finally, we will assist you with the college admissions, enrollment and the financial
aid process. We will also help you make contacts with other veteran related agencies
as well as college programs and personnel. Upon completion of the VUB Program,
you will receive a certificate, a merit pin and we will continue to provide you support
through your educational journey.

How long should I plan on being in VUB before I am ready to go on to a college
program of study?
The answer to this question depends on several factors: your educational
preparedness, your VUB assessment scores and your internal motivation to succeed.
Do not short-change yourself by planning to be in VUB for just a few weeks. While
some students may only require minimal work, others will want to attend classes for a
longer period of time. The staff can advise you as to how long you might want to
spend in our classes. The staff will also advise you of when you are ready to move
on to your chosen postsecondary institution.

Does VUB provide financial aid?
No. Although all services are free to qualified students, we do not provide financial
aid for college, university, or technical school. We can, however, help you with the
financial aid application process and put you in contact with the appropriate financial
aid officials at your prospective college.

Does VUB provide scholarships?
Yes. We provide qualified VUB participants the following scholarships: Lubrizol,
National Association of Veterans Upward Bound Project Personnel, Veterans
Memorial Fund, and various scholarships through TRI-C. All scholarships have
specific criteria and deadlines for application, so apply early. VUB also works closely
with Cleveland Scholarship Programs For more information,
please ask a VUB staff member.

Can VUB help me find a job?
No. However, we do offer career assessment and counseling, and various career
workshops. The program may refer you to the Ohio Department of Job and Family
Services Employment Connection or
Tri-C's Key Career Place for Tri-C enrolled students.

Can VUB help me choose a career?
Yes. Our advisors provide career counseling and assessment to help you to
determine what career field might be appropriate for you. Various career workshops
are also offered throughout the year.

How is VUB funded?
VUB is a part of a group of programs called TRIO VUB is funded by the U.S.
Department of Education and serves low-income and first generation eligible

 I have a question or problem concerning my veterans’ educational (GI Bill)
 benefits. Can you help me?
 Cuyahoga Community College has veterans' certifying officials at each campus.
 They can help you with your needs concerning veterans' educational benefits. VUB
 advisors will also provide you with basic information on veteran educational benefits.
 Eligible students with questions or problems regarding these benefits can contact the
 TRI-C veteran certifying official at 216-987-4164 for Metro campus or 216-987-5203
 for West campus or 216-987-2243 for East campus.

 When are classes available?
 The Veterans Upward Bound program offers a day schedule of classes and activities,
 with two fall and two spring sessions available. Each session runs 9 weeks in length.
 A six-week summer bridge program is also available. For more information, please
 see the VUB 2008 Academic Calendar.

 What are the classes like?
 The classes are small and based on your individualized academic needs. The
 program instructors, tutors and staff work as a team to provide you on-going progress
 evaluation, feedback and support. There are special support activities such as
 tutoring and study groups, and workshops that will add to your learning experience.
 Classes are not for credit and no grades are given. Classes are an opportunity to
 prepare and develop the academic skills required for success in college-level course
 work, achieve a successful score on the college placement English and Math tests,
 and learn with a community of veterans. Students who successfully complete the
 classes are awarded a VUB certificate, a VUB merit pin, and a stipend.

 What should I do now?
 Contact us at 216-987-4938 with any questions that you might have about VUB or to
 make an appointment with a student advisor.



To top