MGTC 420 Essentials of Marketing Module
Spirited Competition Marketing Exercise
The learning objectives for this exercise:
1. Learning techniques and skills to sell products and services
2. Marketing segmentation and targeting
3. Product positioning
4. Advertising and promotion
5. Distributing decisions
6. Ethical issues in marketing and marketing plans
The Marketing Exercise:
The Director of Marketing at Hershey Foods Corporation has asked your marketing team to
come up with a Marketing Plan and Advertising Promotion for a new product. You are in
competition with several other teams, and the Director will evaluate each team’s proposal and
select one of them for their new fall product.
A. Form Teams of 3 or 4
B. Complete the following Marketing Plan/Advertising Promotion Exercise as a 3-4 page
paper and 5-8 slide PowerPoint presentation
C. The product your team is marketing is an ice cream candy bar for Hershey Foods' Fall
D. Create a description and design of the product
E. Develop a marketing plan
F. Create an advertisement
Examples of Student Presentations
Back to School Bars
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Hershey’s Cherry Mash Ice Cream Bars
Hershey's Krackle Ice Cream Candy Bars
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cube
For the PowerPoint portion of the exercise:
a. Your emphasis can be on Football, Back-to-School, or Halloween
b. Select a Target Market
c. Consider the 4 P’s
d. Create a Description and Design
e. Create an Advertisement
f. Present your PowerPoint Presentation to the class
After completing this course, the student should be able to:
1. Understand how managers develop marketing strategies to satisfy specific target markets.
2. Evaluate opportunities in the external environment which affect market planning.
3. Develop an understanding of how to segment markets and satisfy target market needs.
4. Develop a market mix from data on Product, Place, Promotion and Price.
5. Design a marketing plan.
6. Develop an understanding of the roles played by customer service, quality assurance and
7. Evaluate the effectiveness of marketing efforts.