Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Information on Record Keeping by jackl17


									Information on Record Keeping


    Children and Parents

         XYZ School
The DfES requires schools to maintain records of each child's progress in relation to
both academic and pastoral matters. In addition, the Department of Health requires that
all schools keep records so they can play their part in safeguarding and promoting the
welfare of children. In order to meet these requirements we keep an educational record
for each pupil which contains details of both their academic progress and any relevant
pastoral (non-academic) matters.

The purpose of keeping these records is to ensure that:

   each child's academic progress and achievements can be monitored

   there is a record of any concerns about a child's safety or welfare

   there is an account of the school's involvement with children and their parents over
    pastoral matters

   people at school are responsible and accountable for their actions

   there is continuity in providing services to children if staff leave or are temporarily

What information do we keep?
School keeps a record of each pupil’s academic progress and achievements.                In
addition, we keep a record of things to do with a child's welfare including:

   child protection concerns about abuse, neglect or sexual exploitation

   concerns about a child's physical or mental health

   concerns about a child's home circumstances

   concerns about parental difficulties, including physical and mental health issues;
    drug or alcohol related issues or other family problems

   changes in home circumstances

   concerns about a child's behaviour.

What if I have concerns?
If you are concerned about any aspects of your own or any other child's welfare or
safety you can contact the school to discuss these. If you do so the school will make a
record of the discussion to which you can have access. You may, if you wish, write to
the school about your concerns. Your letter will then become part of the educational

Where is information kept?
Each pupil has their own file which is kept securely in a lockable cupboard/cabinet when
not in use. Sometimes separate files are kept by the Headteacher or the Child
Protection Liaison Teacher. Information may also be held on computers.

What do we use information for?
Keeping educational records is intended to be helpful. Records of attainment and
achievement help pupils and their parents measure progress and see that a child is
reaching his/her full potential. Records about pastoral matters are intended to promote
children's welfare - to ensure that if they need help, support, guidance or protection then
this is provided.

When will we share information with others?

If a child is thought to have been abused or neglected or it is thought this might happen
we will always share information with Social Services or the Police. Ideally we will do
this with parental consent, but this is not a legal requirement and we will talk to other
agencies without consent if this is felt to be in the child's best interests.

Also, if there are concerns about people being involved in crime we will always tell the

If we think that a child or his/her parent would benefit from Social Services' support or
help from another agency, we will seek permission (consent) to pass on information
about them. The use of these services is optional so if permission is withheld then the
information will not be passed.

When we do share information with other people we will be careful to provide
only the relevant information which they need to do their jobs effectively.

Within school, the Headteacher will decide what information staff should have about a
child's personal circumstances and will share this with other people on a 'need to know'
basis. This means that not everyone at school will know everything about a particular
pupil’s circumstances.

Keeping information confidential
We have a strict confidentiality policy at school and make every effort to ensure that no-
one has unauthorised access to a pupil's records. We do this by requiring staff to keep
pupils' records locked away when not in use and for them to be careful to ensure no-one
has accidental or unauthorised access to information that they should not have.

We only ever use or pass on information about children and their families if there is a
genuine need for it and it will benefit the child and his/her family.

What files can I see?
We have an open access policy towards sharing information with children and their
parents. However, the law requires that in certain circumstances some information
should be withheld. These include situations where sharing information would:

   be likely to cause harm to a child or an adult
   hinder the detection or prevention of crime
   breach the confidence of a third party who has not given permission for access to
    information they have provided
   contravene a court order

Can I see other people’s files?
Generally you can only see information about yourself or your child. If you have
parental responsibility you can request, as of right, access to your child's file (subject to
the above limitations). If you are a carer, but don't have parental responsibility you can
see the file with the permission of someone who does or with the child's consent.

How do I get access?
Requests for access to files must be made in writing to the Headteacher. You will
receive a reply within 15 school days to inform you of the arrangements for access.
When you see the file you may make notes or copy anything you wish; you may not
however remove anything from the file. Your access will be supervised by a member of
staff who will offer advice and support if you need it. If you do not wish to personally
access the file you can request the school to provide you with a copy of it. The charge
for this will be £X (optional, as decided by the school).

What if I disagree with the contents?
If you disagree or are unhappy with the content of the file or if you feel there are
inaccuracies you can write to the Headteacher who will respond within 15 working days.
We will always try to ensure that the information kept on file is factually correct and will
amend files if records are shown to be inaccurate. If you are not satisfied with the reply
you receive from the Headteacher you can appeal to the Board of Governors.

For access to files please write to:


            Full copy of Recording Policy available on request.


To top