DMACC JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: YouthBuild Construction Assistant
BASIC FUNCTIONS: Assist the Construction Trainer in providing construction and workplace
performance skills training for 45 disadvantaged youth, age 18-24 which combines academic, leadership
and employability skills training.
1. Assist in the Supervision of all construction activities of the YouthBuild trainees as directed by the
Construction Trainer ; Support the Construction Trainer to monitor and evaluate progress of
construction skill attainment and related competencies
2. Maintain a safe work environment as the site safety assistant.
3. Support the trainer in teaching carpentry and related skills which include framing, sheeting on
roof, siding, insulation, setting of trusses, insulation of windows/doors, hanging sheet rock,
installation of cement fiber, and finish carpentry; proper use and handling of all equipment which
includes hand and power tools.
4. Identity and maintain construction site materials, supplies, tools, and equipment as directed by
the Construction Trainer
5. Support and contribute to effective collaborative and positive relationships with YouthBuild staff,
on-site inspectors, HOME, INC, project management staff, and other project personnel and
6. Plays a role with the Construction Trainer, i.e., student attendance, academic and support needs,
construction site problems, tool check list, etc.
7. Able to supervise students in absence of the Construction Trainer
8. Model employability skills – what it is to be successful in the world of work – cooperating with
team members, working well with a supervisor, the importance of being on-time, working hard,
9. Provide transportation of students, supplies, etc. as needed.
10. Participate in meetings, workshops, and community service projects as needed.
11. Assist and contribute the development of leadership skills of participants. By supporting the
Construction manager in providing and supervising participants with meaningful on site
leadership opportunities. Examples - Crew Chief – (who daily record Keeping) A steward ( who
sets break times, calls clean up times, break area) Site Safety Coordinator ( Maintains first aid kit,
helps prepare special safety meetings, Tool manager, and a photographer (documents the work
12. Other projects and duties as assigned.
Professional experience working with all elements of housing construction
Knowledge of single family construction
Good carpentry and related skills
Experience with work crews and construction sites
First aid/CPR trained
Understand building codes
Ability to communicate with inspectors and other key personnel
Ability to identify problems on site and notify the appropriate staff
Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equal opportunity, and the academic, intellectual, and social development of