Night school: 5.30pm – 9.00pm
Course Overview ‘He cooks’ Save Time, Save Money, Build Confidence, Improve Your Health
This is a 6 lesson course to be offered at
Mooloolaba Campus of SCIT at night from 5.30 to 9.00pm for five weeks.
Lessons will be held in our commercial kitchens.
⇒ He Cooks, we think everyone cooks for different reasons - from wanting to impress friends, improve health,
save money, or getting your mind off the stresses of work. Throughout our cooking course, we
provide advice on topics as diverse as practical nutrition, vegetarian options, cooking with seasonal
produce, and effective shopping techniques
⇒ Our fully qualified highly experienced chefs/trainers dispel many of the myths of the kitchen by providing up-
to-date, factual information about the foods and recipes they demonstrate.
⇒ At TAFE you will also learn about safety in the kitchen, from basic knife skills, to the use and care of
common kitchen appliances.
⇒ This short course offers a working understanding of health and nutrition, safety, simplicity and efficiency, to
make men confident and competent in the home kitchen.
The ‘He Cooks’ course is based around a core of five food groups.
⇒ Eggs and dairy
⇒ Fruit and vegetables
⇒ Rice and pasta
⇒ Meat ,game and poultry
After the course is completed you will have practical experience in food preparation, cooking and presentation of
You will have the skills necessary to provide fine well presented food, inexpensively and with a minimum of effort,
this course dispels myths of the kitchen, and in a friendly atmosphere that eases any reluctance to get cooking.
Importantly, we also teach you many of the short cuts that professional chefs use to produce great results quickly - a
bonus for guys on the go.
The course includes:
⇒ Cooking to save money
⇒ How to use leftovers
⇒ Cooking for health
⇒ Cooking for weight loss
⇒ Cooking for vegetarians
⇒ Cooking using seasonal produce
Lesson 1 WELCOME AND DINNER Lesson 2 EGGS AND DAIRY Lesson 3 FRUIT AND VEG
• Kitchen orientation • Eggs three ways (scrambled, • Vietnamese rice paper rolls
• Knife safety omelette and poached) • Potato gnocchi
• Correct knife usage and knife skills • Frittata • Thai potato and vegetable
• Basic Food hygiene • Egg and dairy style dish curry
• Basic nutrition • Sensational cheese platter • Lemon tart, passionfruit
• Warm chicken strip salad • Crispy Lavosh sauce
• Penne pasta with beef ragu • Sundried tomato and chive
• Granny smith apple crumble bread roll
Lesson 4 RICE AND PASTA Lesson 5 MEAT, GAME & POULTRY Lesson 6 SEAFOOD
• Chinese style egg and chicken fried • Fast Thai beef salad • Salt and pepper calamari
rice • Kangaroo roast vegetable and salad with mango relish
• Risotto wild mushrooms fondant potato • Crispy skinned barramundi
• Pumpkin and ricotta tortellini • Poached chicken breast • Classic prawn cocktail
• Chocolate mousse mushroom cream sauce, buttered • strawberry cheesecake
• Sesame bread roll green beans • rye bread roll
• Cream caramel
• Wholemeal read roll
What is included in the cost?
Tuition by chef qualified teachers
All food, water or soft drink
Course workbook including course outline, theory notes & activities, tips and recipes.
Use of SCIT kitchen hat & apron (remains property of SCIT)
Use of all kitchen knifes and utensils.
What do I need to provide?
Wear protective clothing – long pants, socks & flat enclosed shoes with non-slip soles.