GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) COORDINATOR
Performs professional and administrative journey level work in the coordination, development, implementation and
maintenance of the Mohave County Geographical Information System (GIS).
Work is performed under direction of a higher level of authority. The employee is expected to exercise independent
judgment and discretion. Work is reviewed through performance evaluation and results achieved.
As assigned, may exercise technical and/or functional supervision of assigned personnel. Directly exercises technical
and functional supervision of those involved in the development, implementation and maintenance of the County’s GIS
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Develops, implements, and maintains the Mohave County GIS implementation Strategy and coordinates GIS activities
among county departments and outside entities as required.
2. Schedules and presides over all GIS committee meetings.
3. Plans, designs, maintains, and troubleshoots all aspects of the GIS, as well as, coordinating, managing and directing
GIS database and application development, definitions, maintenance and implementation.
4. Designs and implements procedures and policies for GIS project management.
5. Recommends and coordinates the GIS goals and objectives of the County’s coordinated GIS process.
6. Researches, evaluates, recommends, tests and incorporates advances in technology and software to achieve the GIS
goals of the County.
7. Assists in the development of the annual GIS budget and monitors the approved budget.
8. Assists with and manages the geo-database design, development and maintenance.
9. Assists with and manages GIS application development.
10. Assists with and manages digital data conversion.
11. Creates and manages all documentation related to the GIS.
12. Advises, trains and assists users on system use and capabilities.
13. Troubleshoots and rectifies system problems.
14. Serves as initial point-of-contact with contractors or other external agencies in relation to GIS related activities.
15. Provides technical specifications for new GIS projects.
16. Writes status reports for GIS projects for management and GIS Committee.
17. Analyzes statistics and writes reports on system events and performance.
18. Provides a Mohave County presence in various GIS user groups.
19. Provides presentations to various groups regarding the County’s GIS.
20. Converts data from various sources into GIS database.
21. Maintains system integrity and security, insuring database backup and recovery.
GIS Coordinator.doc Page 1
22. Remains current on job specific knowledge by attending training courses, professional organizational meetings and
23. Performs related work as assigned.
Regular and frequent contact with associate personnel, other county departments and their employees, private and public
entities, and the general public to gather required information, promote programs, coordinate activities, respond to
inquiries, resolve problems and provide education, training and instruction in the development, implementation, utilization
and maintenance of the GIS.
CONDITIONS OF WORK
Work is subject to varying job priorities, varying post or job site assignments, may be subject to call-back or on-call status,
and irregular schedules to include completion of work assignments on evenings, weekends and holidays. Work is also
subject to traveling and irregular hours in order to perform work assignments. Work also includes the occasional lifting
and carrying objects at 0 - 50 lbs. and the frequent usage of Video Display Terminals (VDT).
All employees of Mohave County are subject to immediate callout when an emergency, disaster or breach of homeland security
occurs. All employees are considered to be available for these types of events and will immediately respond, in accordance with
County Emergency Operations Plan, when directed by the Chairman of the Mohave County Board of Supervisors, County
Manager, the Homeland Security/Emergency Management Coordinator, or when directed by his department director/elected
official and/or immediate supervisor. Such call to respond and assist may involve those activities assigned to his regular job
responsibilities and incorporate other non job related duties as necessary and required of an employee to respond to the
emergent matter at hand. An employee’s response to these matters may require the working of unusual, long hours over a
possibility of an extended period of time with infrequent breaks or rest periods. An employee who is working with an
accommodation must meet with their supervisor and department director/elected official to discuss their requirement for
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Extensive knowledge of:
--Principles, practices and methods of Geographical Information System project management, database design
--ESRI family of products including ArcGIS, ArcIMS and ArcSDE.
--GIS database design, concepts, conventions and security used within a comprehensive GIS environment.
--GIS programming and analysis.
--GIS data conversion and maintenance.
--principles, practices, and techniques of mapping and computer-aided design/drafting.
Specialized knowledge of:
--program and project management techniques
--principles and practices of scheduling and managing multi-participant projects.
--SQL Server or other enterprise database
--state-of-the-art mapping, report writing, data analysis and model generation.
--conventional surveying systems and conventions.
--effectively reading and interpreting graphs, charts, diagrams, air photos and maps.
GIS Coordinator.doc Page 2
--effectively utilizing digitizing, plotting and drafting techniques and procedures.
--read and interpret survey notes, plan diagrams, specifications, legal descriptions, maps and other legal
--analyze complex data and recommend and implement appropriate systemic improvements.
--maintain project and production schedules.
--identify, analyze and resolve problems applicable to GIS hardware and software.
--prepare and maintain complex reports and records.
--interpret GIS Concepts in a clear, understandable manner to personnel at all levels of the organization, other
GIS users, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
--facilitate meetings to achieve needed outcomes.
--understand, interpret and apply pertinent federal, state, county, city, and departmental laws, rules, regulations,
codes, standards, policies, procedures and directives encountered in the performance of assignments.
--communicate ideas clearly, concisely and effectively, orally and in writing.
--speak in a clear and well-organized way to communicate complicated ideas to others.
--establish and maintain effective working relationships with and elicit cooperation and support of GIS committee
members, GIS users, other county department and their employees, other agencies, and the general public.
--work independently in completing assigned tasks and in maintaining records and other documentation
accurately and legibly.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Bachelor’s Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Planning, Information Systems or a closely related field and three
(3) years of responsible current hands-on experience in GIS administration, development, operation and support. Or any
equivalent combination of experience, education and training that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Incumbent should possess expertise in ArcGIS and familiarity with ArcIMS, ArcSDE as well as experience in GIS
database design, concepts, conventions and security used within a comprehensive GIS environment would be beneficial.
Knowledge of, or experience with, SQL Server is a plus. Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license. Must provide
acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed
by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
OCCUPATIONAL CATEGORY: Professional/Administrative
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Administrative) (Classified)
CLASS CODE 3339
EFFECTIVE DATE: April 5, 2003
02/03 Class Validation Study Review: June 28, 2003
GIS Coordinator.doc Page 3