Newsletter & Website
2:45 - 4:45 PM
Secondary Literacy Coordinator
San Bernardino County
Superintendent of Schools
Newsletter & Website
Enhance your branch newsletter through use of
computer templates and graphics, then turn it
into a website! Our focus will be on streamlining
the communications aspect of your branch,
including print, email, and website. This is a
great workshop for communications officers and
those interested in newsletter and website
development. Participants are encouraged to
bring a USB drive to save their work and a
personal laptop if available.
• Microsoft Word®
• Microsoft Publisher®
• Online resources
– Graphics & Logos
• Start in Microsoft Word® or
• Copy and paste into your email (text only)
• Print to PDF (Portable Document Format)
• Attach PDF to email (or post to website)
Things to consider:
1. What do you want on your website?
2. How will you host your website?
• Free services available such as Google (requires a
free gmail account and uses a template)
• Hosting services for fee such as iPowerWeb.com
3. Who will design the website and maintain it?
• Volunteer in the branch (free)
• Company (cost involved)
Options for Website Development
• Design yourself
– Microsoft Word®
– Microsoft Publisher ®
– Netscape Composer
– Microsoft Sharepoint® (cost involved)
– Adobe GoLive® (cost involved)
– Macromedia Dreamweaver® (cost involved)
• Hire a company or consultant to design
– Need to verify if they will continue to maintain it
– If you are to maintain it, what program did they use to
create it? Do you have access and knowledge of it?
Info for Branch Websites
• The AAUW California Website Administrator is available
to provide minimal assistance to branches in the
preparation of material for their sites. Links to branch
Web sites hosted on other servers will be maintained,
with no limit.
• Here's a template for a simple branch Website. You are
free to use it as a model for your branch Web site.
• After you have built your Web site, contact Web Support
to add your site to the AAUW California Branches page.
• In addition, visit the Association webpage on branch
websites for information they have gathered to assist this
process. The AAUW Style Guide and AAUW logos and
graphics for download are also available to help you
create your branch website.
• See AAUW-CA.org’s information on
branch websites at
• See AAUW.org’s information on branch