Alpha Phi Fraternity
TO: Alpha Phi Sisters
FROM: Crista Vasina, President
International Executive Board
DATE: October 2, 2002
SUBJECT: Finance Standing Committee
I am pleased to announce the appointment of the following members to the Finance Standing
· Barbara Alevras (Eta Alpha, University of New Hampshire), Chair
· Amy Bunszel (Delta, Cornell University)
· Peg Thornburg (Beta Omega, Kent State)
· Lindsay Wiggins (Beta Pi, USC)
Executive Office Member:
· Cathy Koessl, Director of Finance
· Sheri Allen (Delta Delta, Oklahoma City University)
· Billie Battiato (Phi, University of Oklahoma)
· Barbara Thomas (Gamma Iota, Texas Tech)
This important standing committee is defined in the Constitution and Bylaws. The FSC is
responsible for providing recommendations to the IEB in all areas of financial oversight
including general and non-profit accounting practices, property management, lending, and
investing. The FSC must be composed of members with expertise in these areas as well as
familiarity with Alpha Phi finances. To ensure all areas are sufficiently represented, the Board
evaluated the skills of the IEB members serving on the committee and then sought
complementary skills from a pool of talented candidates.
We are pleased to introduce you to the women who will serve on the FSC. We trust you will
agree that Alpha Phi will be well served by the depth and breadth of experience offered by
these eight women.
From the IEB:
· Barbara Alevras has over 10 years of experience in the financial services industry
including, but not limited to, responsibility for budgets, financial performance, balance
sheets, and financial analysis. She also has consumer-lending experience as a
Finance Standing Committee
October 2, 2002
Page 2 of 2
product manager for the bank's mortgage and home equity products. She serves on
the board of a small non-profit in her hometown.
· Amy Bunszel has over 4 years of IEB finance experience, including serving as the
previous chair of the Finance Committee. Professionally, she is responsible for
budgeting, balance sheets, payroll, taxes and other financial systems needed by a
start-up software company.
· Peg Thornburg has 3 years of former IEB experience as Vice President of Extension
from 1990-1993. She has been responsible for managing budgets professionally and
in other non-profit organizations. She is well versed in many aspects of staff and
project management including salaries, staff development, payroll taxes, equipment,
· Lindsay Wiggins is a Principal in a consulting firm specializing in compensation,
including its financial, tax and securities implications. She also serves on the board of
a non-profit organization involved in developing affordable housing for young families.
From the Executive Office:
· Cathy Koessl, Director of Finance, will also serve on the FSC. Working at the
Executive Office, Cathy brings vast hands-on professional finance experience and
direct Alpha Phi finance experience to the committee.
They are joined by:
· Sheri Allen is currently the Manager of Finance Corporate Development and Real
Estate at Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, Inc. in Los Angeles. Sheri has expertise in
commercial property management, financial planning, corporate finance, strategic
investments and government finances. She was recently involved in developing new
methods of managing finance and cash flow. Sheri is also well versed in collegiate
chapter finance and has volunteered consistently for Alpha Phi.
· Billie Battiato has over 25 years of experience in the investment management
industry with Paine Webber, where she is currently the Branch Administrative
Manager. Billie holds Series 7 and Series 8 licenses and has extensive experience in
both corporate and non-profit finance, including budgeting and internal controls. She
serves on several non-profit boards and finance committees in the Denver area. Billie
has also served on three different house corporation boards and several international
committees, including the Extension Committee and the Constitution Committee.
· Barbara Thomas is a former IEB member and served as the Vice President of
Finance from 1994-1998. She served as Alpha Phi’s interim Executive Director in
2000 and lends extensive knowledge of the Fraternity’s finances and investments.
Barbara has over 20 years of experience in banking with knowledge of profit and non-
profit finance as well as lending. Barbara is a CPA, practicing in Dallas.
The IEB was extremely pleased to have so many qualified members offer to volunteer their
time to serve on the FSC for Alpha Phi. The wealth of financial skills and experience these
women bring to the FSC will help move the Fraternity forward.