We a r e l o c a t e d i n s c e n i c
LEED Standards L e s s e r S l a ve L a k e
P r ov i n c i a l Pa r k .
The Boreal Centre for Bird Conser- To g e t h e r e , d r i ve n o r t h o n
vation’s commitment to conservation h i g h w a y 8 8 fo r
is reflected in its decision to adopt a
relatively new standard in sustain-
able building: LEED standards.
a p p r ox i m a t e l y 1 8 . 5 k m .
These standards focus on including
environmentally friendly elements in
design and construction on a
Build ings can qua lify fo r
fo ur leve ls of ce r tifica tio n:
Certified : 26 to 32 points
Silver: 33 to 38 points
BOREAL CENTRE FOR
Gold: 39 to 51 points BIRD CONSERVATION
Platinum: 52 to 69 points Address:
P.O. Box 1076
Slave Lake, Alberta
The BCBC is a T0G 2A0
Built with the
Gold Certified Building! Phone: (780) 849-8240
Fax: (780) 849-8239 environment in mind.
Building Construction E n e r g y C o n s e r va t i o n Wa t e r C o n s e r va t i o n
• The building site was reclaimed • Rainwater and melting snow is collected
from a previously disturbed site in off the inverted roof and flows into a
the park. holding tank where it can then be
• All building materials are urea treated and used as potable water.
formaldehyde free. • The toilets are composting and use no
• The walls are Medite II—made from water.
• The flooring is a material called
marmoleum, made with jute and • The building is geothermally heated
cork. and cooled. This means there are no
• Poles on the front of the building gas furnaces and no air conditioning
are made from local pine, spruce with ozone depleting refrigerants .
and fir trees. • Windows are large to maximize the
• The stones on the front of the build- amount of natural light.
ing are local pit run. • Louvres on the front of the building are
• No volatile chemicals were used in angled so as to capture the most light
the building of the centre. on the longest day of the year.
• The windows are triple pane, low-E
windows and are anti-reflective.
Ta ke a n i n t e r a c t ive
And take an interactive tour of