Architectural Inventory Form - Word Version by byrnetown68

VIEWS: 15 PAGES: 13

									Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number:
OAHP1403 Rev. 9/98

Official eligibility determination (OAHP use only)
Date Initials Determined Eligible- NR Determined Not Eligible- NR Determined Eligible- SR Determined Not Eligible- SR Need Data Contributes to eligible NR District Noncontributing to eligible NR District

COLORADO CULTURAL RESOURCE SURVEY

Architectural Inventory Form
I. IDENTIFICATION 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. Resource number: 5DV.9363 Temporary resource number: County: Denver City: Denver Historic building name: Designation 1707 Current building name: Designation 407 Building address: 7245 East Irvington Place, Aurora, CO

Owner name and address: United States Government, Buckley Air Force Base, 660 South Aspen Street, MS 86, Aurora, CO 80011-9551

II. GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION 9. P.M. NE 10. 6 Township ¼ of 4S SE Range 67W

¼ of NE

¼ of section 8

UTM reference Zone 1 3 ; 5 0 8 2 0 2 mE 4 3 9 6 5 1 4 mN

11.

USGS quad name: Englewood Year:1964, revised 1994 Map scale: 7.5' X 15'
Attach photo copy of appropriate map section.

12.

Lot(s): Addition:

Block: Year of Addition:

13.

Boundary Description and Justification:

III. Architectural Description 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. Building plan (footprint, shape): Rectangular Plan Dimensions in feet: Length 40’ x Width 188’ Number of stories: 2 Primary external wall material(s): Brick Roof configuration: Gabled Roof: Side Gabled

19. Primary external roof material: Asphalt Roof: Composition Roof 20. Special features:

Page 2

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: 21. General architectural description: Building 407 was constructed in 1951. It is 2 stories in height. Its main elevation faces south. While the building is 3 bays wide (evenly spaced) at the eastern and western ends, along its length the bays are unevenly spaced and differ in number at the main elevation (southern) and rear elevation (northern). It has an end gabled roof, the ridge running east to west. The main exterior material is brick, tan in color. The roof has red composition shingles, “T lock” in configuration. Windows are 1/1 anodized bronze aluminum, seemingly non-original replacement units. There are two entry locations at the southern elevation, corresponding to interior stairwells, and exit doors at both the eastern and western ends. The easternmost of the two entries at the main elevation has a non-original handicapped accessible ramp running parallel to the elevation. At the western end, a fire escape provides egress from the second floor.

As documented in original plans, the building was originally constructed with a central corridor running east/west, terminating in large rooms at the building’s eastern and western ends. The original floorplan is largely intact, with minor alterations. In some locations doors have been replaced, and walls have been resurfaced. A dropped acoustic tile/grid ceiling (non-original) has been installed throughout the building.

22.

Architectural style/building type: No Style

23.

Landscaping or special setting features: NA

24.

Associated buildings, features, or objects: None

IV. ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 25. Date of Construction: Estimate: Actual: 1951

Source of information: Real Property Accountable Record, Buildings, Lowry Air Force Base 26. Architect: Unknown Source of information: 27. Builder/Contractor: Unknown Source of information: 28. Original owner: United States Government Source of information: Real Property Accountable Record, Buildings, Lowry Air Force Base 29. Construction history (include description and dates of major additions, alterations, or demolitions): Building 407 is a long narrow building (40’x188’) with a concrete foundation, tan/beige masonry walls, and an asphalt/composition roof (red, with T-lock shingles). As originally constructed, it had a central

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 3

corridor that did not extend the full length of the building. There were doors on all elevations, but the southern elevation served as the primary facade. Two sets of doors fairly equidistant from each other and the building’s ends served as main entries, and lead directly to the main corridor as well as stairwells that ran perpendicular to the main corridor. These stairwells provided the main access to the second floor, although fire escapes are shown at both the eastern and western ends in early plans.

30.

Original location X

Moved

Date of move(s):

V. Historical Associations 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. Original use(s): Defense: Air Facility Intermediate use(s): Defense. Current use(s): Defense Site type(s): Military Historical background: The creation of Lowry Field (later to become Lowry Air Force Base, and then Buckley Annex) was approved by the United States Congress in 1937, initially as a new facility for the Army Air Corps Air Technical training school. Named for Denver native and Army Airman Francis Lowry who was killed during World War I, construction began in October of 1937 as a project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), on the grounds of the former Agnes Memorial Sanatorium. Technical Classes began in February of 1938, and the first graduates were from the Armament Department and the Photography Department. Lowry’s first runway became operational in April 1938, and Hangar No 1 was opened in December of 1938.

With the entry of the United States into World War II, Lowry was given the task of training 57,000 men annually, and the base was expanded to meet this mission. In October 1943, the Flight Engineers School was relocated to Lowry, and in 1944, courses related to new technologies such as radar and autopilot were introduced. While the major emphasis at Lowry was technical training, near the end of World War II, Lowry briefly became a pilot training school as well, although the war ended before the first training class could be completed. After the war, it became a “separation” center for veterans, processing discharges.

With the reorganization of the military, and the establishment of the Air Force in 1947, Lowry Field became Lowry Air Force Base. The Korean War triggered an expansion of the training activities at Lowry, with courses in new technologies including rocket propulsion, computers, and missile guidance. In 1955,

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 4

the first group of Air Force Cadets arrived, making Lowry their home until 1958 when construction of the Air Force Academy was completed. By 1966, all flying activities at Lowry was phased out due to residential growth around the base, but a new mission, that of housing the first operational Titan I ICBMs was acquired. While the missiles themselves were several miles off base at what had been the Lowry bombing range, Lowry had the distinction of being the manager. This mission was active from 1962 to 1965.

The Department of Weapons Training was an important part of Lowry AFB during the 1960s, and offered 60 courses. Most importantly, the Nuclear Weapons Branch of this department was the only Air Force

organization that taught all aspects of nuclear weapons maintenance and handling.

During the 1970s new facilities were constructed, older ones demolished, and the Air Force Accounting and Finance Center was opened. The technical school was renamed the USAF School of Applied Sciences – Lowry. In the 1980s Lowry became the primary Air Force training center for space operations courses, and also handled specialized training for most major Air Force fighters and bombers.

Lowry was closed on September 30, 1994, as a result of findings by the Base Closure and Realignment Commission. A majority of the original Lowry AFB was disposed of, but a 72 acre parcel with buildings was retained for Air Force use. The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), created in 1991, remained at the retained site. The site officially became the Buckley Air Force Base Annex in 2003. This is somewhat ironic due to the fact that Buckley was originally established as additional training space for Lowry. Currently the Buckley Annex houses the DFAS as well as the Air Force Reserve Personnel Center. Building 407 was originally constructed in 1951 as a “flight line building” at what was then the western apron of the main flight area. It is a two story structure that originally cost $137, 670.00 to construct. While records detailing its full history of use are not available, its construction date (1951) and plan would imply that it was part of the Korean War-era expansion of the base for new technology training and missions. While constructed for use by Lowry Air Force Base, the Real Property Accountable Record does record that the building was used for some time by the “AFA”, which stands for the Air Force Academy. The Air Force Academy was established in 1954, and was housed at Lowry from the first classes in 1955 until the Colorado Springs campus opened in 1958. It is not known how the Academy used the building. After the Academy moved to the new campus, the buildings was transferred to Air Training Command. After than date only minor alterations are recorded. It currently serves as office space for the DFAS and Air Force Reserve Recruiting, based at the Annex.

Page 5

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Building 407, having been built in 1951, is over 50 years old. Therefore, it has been evaluated using the NRHP Criteria. It does not meet any of the NRHP Criteria, as it was a minor building with no outstanding architectural, engineering, or aesthetic values, and to date no information has been provided or discovered about its association with any significant events or persons. It also does not fall within the guidelines for significance during the Cold War, as its does not possess “exceptional value,” possess a high degree of integrity, or have any direct association with significant Cold War events, persons, ideals or embody distinguishing characteristics of any “type” or Cold War-era construction. Therefore it is not recommended for eligibility for the NRHP. 36. Sources of information: “A Brief History of Lowry Air Force Base.” accessed August 3, 2005 “SAC Bases: Lowry Force Base.” Strategic Air Command.com, Website, accessed August 17, 2005 Real Property Accountable Record - Buildings. Building 407. Lowry Air Force Base Base Building Layout Map, Lowry Air Force Base. Air Installation Office. August, 20, 1955 Abbreviated Master Plan, Lowry Air Force Base, Denver, Colorado, August 1961. Interview with Roy Stout, Buckley Annex Staff. Conducted by Julian W. Adams, October 12, 2005, at Buckley Annex. Interview with Dale Carlson, Hazardous Materials Manager. Buckley CEV Staff. Conducted by Julian W. Adams, October 13, 2005, at Buckley Air Force Base. Pursuit of Excellence: A History of Lowry Air Force Base, 1937-1987. Michael H. Levy and Patrick M. Scanlan. History Office, Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry Air Force Base, CO. Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Department of Defense Sites, Ordnance and Explosives, Chemical Warfare Materials, Operational History Report, Lowry Air Force Base, Denver, CO. United States Army Corps of Engineers, St Louis District. 2002. Wings over the Rockies Air and Space Museum, Website,

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 6 VI. SIGNIFICANCE 37. Local landmark designation: Yes Designating authority: 38. Applicable National Register Criteria: A. B. C. Associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad pattern of our history; Associated with the lives of persons significant in our past; Embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or represents the work of a master, or that possess high artistic values, or represents a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction; or Has yielded, or may be likely to yield, information important in history or prehistory. Qualifies under Criteria Considerations A through G (see Manual) x 39. Does not meet any of the above National Register criteria No X Date of designation:

D.

Area(s) of significance:

40. 41. 42.

Period of significance: Level of significance: National Statement of significance: State Local

43.

Assessment of historic physical integrity related to significance:

VII. NATIONAL REGISTER ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT 44. National Register eligibility field assessment: Eligible 45. Not Eligible x Need Data No X

Is there National Register district potential? Yes Discuss:

If there is National Register district potential, is this building: Contributing 46. If the building is in existing National Register district, is it: Contributing

Noncontributing Noncontributing

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 7 VIII. RECORDING INFORMATION 47. Photograph numbers: 1,2,3, 4 Negatives filed at: GMI, Inc. 48. Report title: Historic Building and Associated Landscape/Viewshed Inventory and Evaluation 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. Date(s): November 2005 (draft)

Recorder(s): Organization: Geo-Marine, Inc. Address: 550 East 15 Street, Plano, TX 75074 Phone number(s): 972-423-5480
th

NOTE: Please include a sketch map, a photocopy of the USGS quad map indicating resource location, and photographs. Colorado Historical Society - Office of Archaeology & Historic Preservation 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203 (303) 866-3395

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 8

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 9

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 10

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 11

Photo 1

Photo 2 Page 12

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number:

Photo 3

Resource Number: 5DV.9363 Temporary Resource Number: Page 13

Photo 4


								
To top