GCF and LCM Word Problems
Underline all important information and then tell if you should use LCM or GCF.
Show all work and label all your answers.
1. Sara has 16 red flowers and 24 yellow flowers. She wants to make bouquets with
the same number of each color flower in each bouquet. What is the greatest
number of bouquets she can make? ___________
2. Two neon signs are turned on at the same time. Both signs blink as they are turned
on. One sign blinks every 9 seconds. The other sign blinks every 15 seconds. In
how many seconds will they blink together again? _______________________
3. Lisa is making activity baskets to donate to charity. She has 12 coloring books, 28
markers, and 36 crayons. What is the greatest number of baskets she can make if
each type of toy is equally distributed among the baskets? ________________
How many of each supply will go into the baskets? _________________________
4. Ms. Thomas wants to make packages of science supplies for her students. Lab
coats come 4 to a box, test tubes come 27 to a box, and safety glasses come 12 to
a box. What is the least number of kits she can make if she wants each kit to be the
same and he wants no supplies left over? ________ How many boxes of each
supply must she buy? ______________________
5. The Math Counts Club had a party at school. There were 20 cookies and 40 slices
of pizza to be shared equally. Each student had the same number of whole cookies
and the same number of slices of pizza with nothing was left over. How many
students could have been at the party? (There is more than one answer. List as
many as you can.)
6. Adrea wants to make party bags for the guests coming to her birthday party.
Glitter pens come in packs of 6. Stickers come in sheets of 4, and pads of paper
come in packs of 3.
a. What is the least number of glitter pens she should buy to have none left
b. What is the least number of stickers she should buy to have none left over?
c. What is the least number of pad of paper she should buy to have none left
7. I have an area of 48 square feet to build a deck on the back of my house. What are
ALL of the possible dimensions of my deck?
8. The school cafeteria serves tacos every sixth day and cheeseburgers every eighth
day. If tacos and cheeseburgers are both on today’s menu, how many days will it be
before they are both on the menu again? ________________
9. Peter has 18 oranges, 27 pears, and 12 bananas. He wants to make fruit baskets
with the same number of each fruit in each basket.
a. What is the greatest number of fruit baskets he can make? ___________
b. How many oranges will be in each basket? ________________
c. How many bananas will be in each basket? ________________
d. How many pears will be in each basket? _________________