ParSCORE Quick User Guide
NOTE: You will need to login to the campus (Novell) network so that you can
save files to your network drive (I:).
What is ParSCORE?
ParSCORE version 6.0 interfaces with your Scantron Scanner for computerized
test scoring and test analysis. ParSCORE also offers record keeping, automatic
scoring, grade book flexibility, attendance tracking and extensive reporting and
To Automatically Score The Exam:
1. From the computer’s desktop, double click the ParSCORE icon.
2. You will be prompted for a login name and password.
Type in markexam for both of these and click Login
3. The Course List window will appear and will be similar to the following:
4. Click on the New button and the following box will appear:
YOU MUST FILL IN the Instructor’s Name, the Course # and the Course
Title. All else is optional. Upon completion click OK.
5. You will now be asked to select a directory to save your data files:
Do NOT save the
course files to the
A:\ drive. – It will
Accept the default as above by clicking on Select.
Click on NO
7. A new data set is created with a unique reference number.
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE NOTE OF THIS NUMBER! Click OK.
8. You will now be returned to the Course List window with your newly created
course in the list. Double click on your course to open it.
9. The following window will appear:
10. The ROSTER Tab (as shown above).
This area will hold information about your students. Before you can mark your
exam, you must add a new column to hold these marks. To do this click on the
“Create Score Columns” icon (looks like birthday candles).
11. You will now be asked to specify the type of column you want to create.
• For quick marking purposes the category is not really important so click on
“Quiz”, “Midt” or “Exam”.
• YOU MUST enter the No. of Columns which will be 1.
• YOU MUST enter the Possible Score
• Click on Add to return to the Roster and a new column has been created.
12. IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO – TURN THE SCANTRON ON!
13. Now for the Answer Key – The KEYS TAB
versions that are
not being used.
• There are 4 test versions by default. If you have more than 4 test versions
you can use the Add button to add more. REMOVE all test versions that
are NOT being scored. If you have one test version, leave A. For all
others, click on the letter and then click on the Remove button.
• PLACE YOUR ANSWER KEY IN THE SCANTRON
How to Place Forms in Input Hopper
1. If the input hopper is in the raised position, gently press the tray
down to the lowered (loading) position.
2. Place forms to be scanned face-up with the critical edge (timing
track column) pressed against the paper guide.
3. Adjust the input hopper tray form guide.
4. Tap the ends of unevenly stacked forms in input hopper tray to
make them even.
5. Place the paper weight on top of stacked forms (see appendix A)
6. Press down and release input hopper to raise it.
• Click on THE SCAN KEYS BUTTON. At this point, the correct forms will be
uploaded to your Scantron. If you have not already placed it in the
Scantron, you will be asked for your answer key. The answers will be
recorded in the table on the Keys Tab. Press the END key on the Scantron.
Repeat for each test version that you have.
14. Now to Mark the Exams – The SCORING TAB
Click on the tick box
for Auto Enrolment
• Click on the tick box for “Auto Enrolment”
• You may also want to consider selecting the tick boxes for “Inspect Multiple
Marks” and “Inspect Omitted Marks”. If the Scantron recognizes either of
these, scanning will be interrupted and you can make corrections to forms.
• PLACE ALL FORMS IN THE SCANTRON - MAXIMUM OF 150 AT A TIME
• Click on the SCORE button
If there is a paper-jam
1. Lift the readhead assembly
2. Gently remove the jam
3. Reseat the readhead assembly
4. Press Key 2 on the Scantron to continue
5. Straighten any creases or wrinkles in the form
6. Rescan it if the form is intact.
15. When forms are done scanning, press the END key on the control panel of the
16. Return to the Roster Tab and the marks have been entered into the column
that you had previously created.
17. Click on the “Options” Menu
18. Click on “Export Wizard”
The file type should be set to
“Delimited with COMMA (TXT)”
Highlight Student ID, Last Name and
Select the test that you just marked.
Click on Export
19. You will now be asked to save your file.
Save In Your I: drive
Type in an appropriate filename and
click on Save.
20. Click on the “Close Course” button
21. You have now been returned to the Course List window. Make sure you have
your file saved on your I: drive and then click the “Delete” button to delete
your course from the list.
Attaching the Paperweight
1. Lower the input hopper and load the forms.
2. Slide the hook (B) of the paperweight around the notch (C) of the paper
guide on the input hopper tray, with the Scantron logo (A) face up.
3. Slide the paperweight hook (B) up against the notch (C) of the paper guide
until the hook is secured to the edge of the paper guide.
4. The paperweight lies flat on top of the stack of forms with the logo side
5. Press down on the input hopper to raise it to scanning position.