Technical Data Sheet
Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene .
Relene Ultra 2504
Relene Ultra 2504 (UHMWPE) is a linear polyethylene resin produced using Slurry process. This
extremely high Molecular weight of more than 4 million is ideally suited for products where good
impact strength, abrasion resistance and self-lubricating properties are required. The other
important characteristics are its ability to withstand sub-zero temperatures, good chemical resistance,
no water absorption and non-toxicity.
TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS :
Property Unit Test Method Value
Density g/cc ASTM D792 0.933
RSV d/g ASTM D 4020 23
Melt Flow Index g/10 min ASTM D 1238 No Flow
Bulk Density g/ml ASTM D1895 0.45
PROCESSING : The most common processing method is compression molding. Male & female mould with
heating from all sides and cooling from the top bottom is preferred. The powder is cold compressed for
5–10 minutes under a pressure of approximately 100 kg/cm2 and is heated to about 200 – 220oC to melt
the powder maintaining pressure in the range 20–50kg/cm2. After complete melting and compaction,
cooling is done under increased pressure increased to avoid formation of cavities / sink marks.
The material can also be processed using co-rotating twin-screw extruders / ram type extruders for
making rods, profiles and pipes. Extrusion is to be carried out at very low speed and at a temperature of
180 – 200oC. Special attention should be given to the design of the die with reference to its land length.
COLOURING & FABRICATION:
Material can be dry-colored in a high efficiency mixer with pigments, which can withstand the processing
temperatures without degradation. Blocks/sheets produced could be worked by sawing, turning, planning,
milling, drilling, screw cutting, welding, bonding, impact molding for the production of finished products.
• Textile Industry: Pickers, lug straps, picking bowls, picking caps, shuttle keys, etc.
• Engineering Industry: Gear wheels, runners, rollers, snow mobile sprockets, valves, guide bars,
non-abrasive strips, components of pumps, gaskets etc.
• Food Industry: Screw conveyors for pulps and fruit purees, conveyor units and guide and reversing
rollers for bottle filling and labeling machines & piping.
• Electrical industry: Battery separators, Insulating components for high and very high frequencies,
multi-polar contacts for plugs and cable camps.
• Refrigeration : Gaskets, sleeves, valves, packing for pumps etc.
• Coal & Mining Industry : Liners for conveying, chute, vibrators, air separators, floatation chambers,
coal bunkers etc.
• Ship Building/Ports : Cargo-hold lining, dock fenders etc.
• Orthopedics : Socket of an artificial hip joint, crutches, foot supports, etc.
• Sports : Skating surfaces, bottom layers for skis, bowling alleys, roller skate wheels etc.
• Slurry Transport : Transportation of sand and slurries through pipelines
• Electroplating : Fittings, bellows, plating drums, gears, bearings, guide rollers, sliding rails etc.
PACKAGING : Relene Ultra is available only in natural colour, powder form in 20 kg bags.
Relene Ultra is a registered trademark of UHMWPE from Reliance Industries Ltd & RIL is a consignment agent for Relene Petrochemicals Pvt. Ltd.
The data, information and suggestions given herein are purely as a guide. RIL undertakes no responsibility either
for the results derived from their adoption or for possible positions in apparent contrast with existing patent rights.