Music & Arts Library - Quick Reference Guide
Hours and Contact Information
Location: Music & Arts Library, 701 Dodge Hall
Library blog: http://lito.lamp.columbia.edu/musiclib (news, resources, new acquisitions)
Hours: See our web site for current library hours, or call 212-854-4711.
For students, faculty, and staff, loan periods are:
Books and Scores Semester Loan
Recordings* 2 weeks
Reserves 2 hours†
* See below for additional online audio resources. † Some Reserve items are restricted to in-library use.
Non-reserve items may be renewed online (up to 10 times) via “My Library Account” on CLIO.
Recalls/Holds may be placed on materials which are checked out, via the “Place Requests” tab in CLIO.
Materials identified as “Offsite” in CLIO may be requested by clicking on the “Offsite” request button at
the bottom of the CLIO record for the item. Items will be delivered within 2 business days.
Finding materials in the Library
• Search CLIO to find materials in the Music & Arts Library’s collections (for pre-1982 titles,
also check the card catalog if you find nothing in CLIO).
• “Quick Limits” can limit your search to audio or video recordings, etc.
• “Set Limits” can limit your search to music scores, and many other options.
• Item not on the shelf? Ask for help at the circulation desk, and we’ll search for it.
• Item checked out, or, not owned by Columbia? Try Borrow Direct (see link at the top of the
main CLIO screen) – items can often be delivered in 4 business days. If not available via Borrow
Direct, try Inter-Library Loan (via the “Recall/Place Requests” tab in CLIO).
Reference help is available by asking at the circulation desk, by calling 212-854-4711, or by emailing us
at firstname.lastname@example.org. Schedule a one-on-one reference consultation, (in-person or
email) using the contact methods above. We’re here to help!
Basic Research Resources
• Finding Resources for Concert Reports
• Grove Music Online
• Music & Arts Library Subject Guide
Finding articles, essays, and dissertations
There are several online databases which can help you search for articles in music periodicals
(journals, magazines, etc.), collections of essays, and dissertations (many dissertations
downloadable from 1997 forward). These can be a useful addition to information that you find in
• International Index to Music Periodicals
• The Music Index
• RILM abstracts of music literature
• ProQuest Digital Dissertations
Library Web provides access to several online audio databases. They are listed on Library Web
under “Databases”, or under “E-Resources” (navigate to “E-Music”). Bookmark-able URLs are
also given below. You can also access these from off campus (log in with your UNI).
• African American Song
• Classical Music Library
• Database of Recorded American Music (DRAM)
• Naxos Music Library
• Naxos Music Library-Jazz
• Smithsonian Global Sound
• Columbia University Libraries - Online Music Reserves
• Classical Scores Library