Non-Government Organization Project
KG-038 – Give examples of Canada’s participation within international
KG-039 – Evaluate Canada’s contributions to international aid and development.
KG-042 – Describe Canada’s responsibilities and potential for leadership
regarding current global issues.
Topic: Pick an organization where Canada is involved in fighting for
human rights in the world.
Throughout the project, you will be answering the following
questions in various formats:
- Where is this organization involved?
- What does this organization do?
- Why are they involved?
- What types of programs do they have?
- How can someone help?
Here is the list of organizations you can pick from:
- Save the Children
- Free the Children
- Habitat for Humanity
- World Vision
- MCC (Mennonite Central Committee)
1. Choose who you will be working with (this project will be done
2. Choose the organization you are going to study.
3. Begin research.
a. Find the website for the organization that you chose.
b. Complete the “Assessing the Website” handout (this will
be handed in after the first day of research).
c. Use the information you find to help you create the
4. Create a poster that includes the following:
a. A title.
b. A logo of the organization.
c. A world map that clearly shows where the organization is
based out of (where their head office is) and the different
places in the world where this organization works. (blank
world maps will be provided)
d. Any illustrations that you feel would help the presentation
of your poster.
e. Six typed paragraphs (3 each – write who did what):
i. The basics of the organization. (ex. Where they are
based out of, when they started, who started it, is it
a large organization, etc.)
ii. Explain the work this organization does in 3
different areas of the world (3 different paragraphs)
iii. Explain how people can get involved with this
iv. Explain the importance of the work being done in
Make sure to make your poster aesthetically pleasing (ie. Looks
NO PLAGIARIZING, which means… NO copy and pasting
sentences. Any student found to be plagiarizing will be given
an incomplete on this assignment.
Assessing the Website
Names of Group Members: __________________________________
Name of Organization: _____________________________________
Instructions: Answer the following questions about the
1. What is the URL (web address) for the website? ______________________
2. Does the website answer these questions about the organization (yes or
- What is the history? ________
- What does the organization do? _______
- What are some types of programs they have? _______
- How can someone help? _______
- Where are they involved? _______
** Must be handed in at the end of class **
Rubric for NGO Assignment
Beginning Developing Accomplished Exemplary
- limited creativity and - some creativity and - creativity and - memorable creativity
originality in design originality in design originality in design and originality in designs
- is not related to the - not effective in - communicates idea - clearly and effectively
chosen organization communicating an idea well communicates idea