RUBRIC for “SOIL & WATER: YOURS FOR LIFE" Poster Contest
5 Grade Science Goal #1: Ecosystems / Ways Humans Affect Ecosystems & Art Goals 3.1-3.2 Apply the elements & design of art in an aesthetic composition
ic below and fully understand the quality of scientific research and creative artwork expected in developing
an outstanding "Soil & Water: Yours For Life” poster. I promise that my poster will represent my own original work and my very best effort!
Student Artist Name:__________________________________________________Signature:___________________________________________________
POSTER CONTEST HERCULEAN MARVELOUS NO-FRILLS FUNGI! SKIMPY WIMPY
RUBRIC GLOMALIN! MYCORRHIZAE! (or FUN-GAL!) WORM!
Developed by Wake Soil & Water Your poster effort is gung-ho Your poster effort is most mighty! The Judges want you to try to Your poster made the Judges
Conservation District gargantuan! The Judges agree The Judges felt your work went identify a few more soil ingredients squirm because it was hard to
TOP TEN CRITERIA you've earned a 1st Place win! above & beyond the call of duty!. in your mud pie! Good try! confirm: what did you learn?
1. Title "Soil & Water:Yours For Life" Title is prominent and done in a Title is visibly present and clearly Title is incomplete or not well What title? Title is lacking, illegible
creative way to grab people's stated. presented. or missing.
attention and to set off the theme.
2. Theme Theme is well thought out and Theme is present and clearly Theme is incomplete or not well What theme? People don't know
"Soil & Water:Yours For Life” carried throughout entire poster. illustrated. People easily recognize developed. People are confused on what poster is about & can't find out.
Poster is one great theme party! what poster is about. what the poster is about.
3. Science Research Soil quality information is accurate Soil quality information is mostly Soil quality information has many What facts? What research?
and well researched. Facts are accurate. More research would inaccuracies. Too few facts and/or Research lacking or missing.
clearly and cleverly presented. have unearthed more exciting facts. facts are not presented clearly.
4. Clear Conservation Message: Thorough explanation of how Good explanation of how people Attempt was made, but the What message? No explanation or
Harmful Practices = compacting soil, people’s actions degrade soil quality degrade soil quality & what they can explanation and/or illustration are illustration of a best practice to
disturbing or over-tilling soil, leaving soil & what they can do to prevent do to prevent erosion, build soil lacking in detail. Needs to better prevent erosion, build soil structure
bare & unprotected, paving with hard erosion, build soil structure & structure & enhance biodiversity. explain the problem & solution. or enhance biodiversity to protect
surfaces, starving soil of organic matter enhance biodiversity. Illustration Illustration shows very good People aren’t clear on what the healthy watersheds & communities.
Best Practices = cover crops & mulch,
shows excellent understanding & understanding of problem & problem is or how to fix it!
composting & vermicomposting,no-till,
low impact development, integrated presentation of problem & solution! solution. Needs a few more details.
pest management, native vegetation
5. Persuasive Call to Action: Outstanding explanation of why a Good scientific explanation of why Statement about the importance of Why care? No sound reasoning or
Importance of protecting healthy healthy soil ecosystem is important soil quality is important to healthy healthy soil and healthy watersheds statement why healthy soil and
native soil to protect the health of to healthy watersheds and all living ecosystems and communities, but is weak; no message to tell people healthy watersheds are important or
the environment, watershed, people things. Persuades people to take doesn’t convince people to take what they can do and why they why we should care.
and all living things! action & explains how they can! action to make a difference. should care.
6. Artwork Skillful use of 4+ artistic elements: Attractive use of 3 artistic elements Basic use of 1 or 2 artistic elements Got art? Unfortunately not! Lacks
color, texture, balance, perspective, as listed at left. Nice layout and as listed at far left, but could have artistic elements. Ask an art teacher
&/or interactives. presentation enhance poster’s look. done more. Needs more art! or a local artist to help you!
7. Creativity & Originality Very different & original Some creativity and originality Same-o, same-o. Been there, drew Not creative. Not original (idea
presentation of material. Uses the apparent. Good variety and that. Creativity and originality copied from another artist). Effort is
unexpected to full advantage. blending of content and artwork. lacking in energy and passion. not evident.
8. Correct Spelling & Grammar 100% correct spelling and 100% A few misspellings and/or Several misspellings and/or several Hard to read due to many
correct grammar. Perfect! grammatical errors. grammatical errors. misspellings & grammatical errors.
9. Neatness & Completeness 100% neat and 100% complete Mostly neat and complete. Not as neat & complete as could be. Messy and/or incomplete.
10. Timeliness Poster is submitted on due date. Poster is turned in on time. Name Poster is turned in on time but is What poster? Due when? Poster is
Name is on back. Rubric is signed. on back or signed rubric is missing. missing both name & signed rubric. late and turned in after due date.
TOTAL ALL COLUMNS = ______ Column total = __________ Column total = _____________ Column total = ____________ Column total = ____________