Reading Comprehension Test Romeo And Juliet Act 1~ Act III
Name: No.: Grade:
I. Match the names with their relation to other characters in the play. (25%)
(A) Prince of Verona (B) King of France (C) A relative of Prince Escalus
(D) Romeo's Friend (E) Juleit's cousin (F) Lord Montague's son (G) Lady Capulet's friend
1. ________ Paris 2. ________ Mercutio 3.________ Tybalt
4. ________ Prince Escalus 5.________ Roemo
II. True or False (25%):
1. ________ Juliet is from the Capulet family and Romeo from the Montague's family.
2. ________ Juliet's father would like her to marry Tybalt.
3. ________ Whenever Romeo is in trouble, he will turn to Friar Laurence for help.
4. ________ The story of Romeo and Juleit takes place in the city of Verona in Italy.
5. ________ The nurse gives Juleit a bottle of medicine to help her run away with Romeo.
III. Arrange the following events in correct order. (25%)
(A) Friar Laurence helps Romeo and Juleit get married.
(B) The nurse finds Juliet lying deadly cold in bed.
(C) Lord Capulet asks Tybalt to be polite with Romeo in the party.
(D) Prince Escalus banishes Romeo from the city Verona.
(E) Roemo killed Tybalt in the street of Verona.
1. ______ 2. ______ 3. ______ 4. ______ 5. _______
IV. Identify the speaker of the following lines. (25%)
(A) Friar Laurence (B) Tybalt (C) Lord Capulet (D) Romeo
(E) Juliet (F) Nurse (G) Prince Escalus (H) Lord Montague
1. ________ "What is a 'Montague'? It isn't a hand, or a foot, or an arm, or a face. If we call a
rose by a different name, it will still smell just as sweet."
2. ______ "You ungrateful girl, I'm telling you, get to church on Thursday or never look me in
the face again!"
3. ________ "The night is a thousand times darker without your light. A lover runs to his love as
fast as schoolboys run away from their lessons. But he walks away from his love as sadly as boys
on their way to school."
4. ________ "Well, sir, my lady is the sweetest lady. I remember when she was a little girl…Oh,
there's a gentleman in town called Paris he would like very much to marry her, but she hates him.
I make her angry sometimes. I tell her that Paris is a fine man."
5. ________ "And for that crime, I am going to banish him from Verona. Mercutio was my
relative. I have lost him because of your stupid fighting."
Bonus question: Identify the speaker (5%)
* ________ "These strong feelings of love don't bring happiness. They burn, and then they die.
Don’t love so strongly. They your love will be a long one."