Minutes ucvm-girc sept 22 2009 by peirongw


									MINUTES UCVM GOVERNMENT & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS COMMITTEE Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Meeting #03 Tuesday, September 22, 2009 Chair: Bonnie Buntain Present: TRW 2D39 9:00 – 10:30 am

Herman Barkema, Jay Cross, Kylie Evans, David Hall, Christoph Muelling, Vineet Sanai, Frank Van der Meer Susan Cork, Judit Smits Adam Hering Monica Flohr Mauchline

Guests: Regrets: Staff:

Opening Session 1.01 Welcome and introductions made by the Committee Chair.

Minutes and Agenda 1.02 Approval of the agenda and minutes

MOTION: Barkema/Sanai th To approve the June 18 minutes MOTION: Barkema/Hall To approve the September 22 agenda

Carried Carried

Items for Discussion 1.03 Review of Terms of Reference

1.04 Review of UCVM Faculty International Connections document Bonnie and Monica reviewed the UCVM FIC document and a lively discussion followed. Bonnie concluded the following:  This document should focus on the faculty’s significant contacts in countries that promote DVM students, graduate students and faculty’s research, education and teaching goals. The document will be revised according to this feedback. ACTION: Bonnie or Monica will present a revised document at future department meetings.  Another recommendation made is that we include government institutions in Canada and internationally where faculty has ongoing collaborations.  The purpose of this resource contact document will be to promote student and faculty opportunities for research, teaching and education where faculty are willing to serve as a resource.

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

1.05 Review of GIR Budget Bonnie reviewed the GIR budget and asked for feedback with special regard to the $40,000 for student experience support (DVM, graduate). A robust discussion followed with no specific recommendations regarding the budget. A motion was made on strategic prioritization for the GIR office. However, a recommendation was made that a portion of the funds remain non-prioritized to allow for flexible use. Herman also recommended that we collect data on government institutions where UCVM faculty have active, ongoing collaborations and that the focus should be on veterinary schools. MOTION: Barkema/Sanai The Government and International Relations office will develop criteria to prioritize a limited list of countries for which the Office will support international opportunities related to research, teaching and education. Carried 1.06 Discussion on GIR Priorities for this fiscal year Bonnie suggested that UCVM should have a capacity building strategy when engaging with low and middle income countries. Capacity building with these countries will be discussed on the next GIRC meeting. Non-Agenda Item – Susan Cork Susan Cork presented information on the following items:  Ecolife would like to come and speak to the students about learning opportunities in South Africa.  Dr. Mike Cranfield will be presenting the Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project on Friday, nd October 2 to the UCVM students.  Earth Watch is an organization in which students may have interest. Kylie recommended that we proceed carefully in announcing various international opportunities because students become confused between what opportunities are related to official University activities and those considered external to the University. ACTION: Kylie and Bonnie to confirm with International Programs as to exactly what student experiences will be covered by University of Calgary insurance. 1.07 Discussion on possible 4 year rotation th ACTION: Bonnie will draft possible 4 year externships for discussion at the next meeting. 1.08 Next meeting date ACTION: Monica will determine when the next GIRC will take place. UPDATE on Action Item: Next meeting to take place Meeting adjourned at 10:30 am. UPDATE on Action Items: 1.06 Bonnie distributed to faculty and Monica posted on the GIR webpage a fact sheet from Risk Management (attached) INDIVIDUAL STUDENT TRAVEL TASK SHEET International Programs staff also clarified that the U of C insurance program will NOT cover students unless they are enrolled in a credit course offered by the UofC.

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

Each year many UofC students include a study abroad component to their program. This may be an exchange, group study program, a practicum abroad, internship or co-op placement or independent study or research. Students, faculty and staff must follow the International Travel Policy for the UofC and this may include a departure briefing. Departure briefings are offered regularly by CISSA and discuss risk and safety issues while abroad. If you are participating in a group program or exchange you should be notified of these, but many students going abroad on their own are unaware of what university requirements they must complete prior to departure. This checklist will outline steps you need to take and and some issues you need to think about prior to leaving Canada. For more information, please contact: International Students & Study Abroad 402-220-5581 <cissa@ucalgary.ca> Or: Risk Management riskmgmt@ucalgary.ca

To prepare, review information offered in the following places: • the University of Calgary International Travel and Security Policy at: https://pr1web.ucalgary.ca/UofC_PPS_Public/Forms/MainHome.aspx and follow the links to the specific University policy • the University of Calgary Country Risk Ratings at: www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/departments/RISK/riskmgmt/riskmgmt/travel.html If you are a graduate student and your country of travel has a risk rating of High or Extreme you will be required to take extra steps as per the International Travel and Security Policy. If you are an undergraduate student or travelling in a non-credit course and your country of travel has a risk rating of High you will be required to take extra steps as per the Travel Policy. Students or others in this category are not permitted to travel to Extreme risk countries.


UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

This web site will provide links to other documents including Government of Canada Travel Reports, registration forms and so forth. • Culture Grams provide basic cultural information about countries and are available at the Centre for International Students and Study Abroad (CISSA) • There are many additional web sites which can assist you with reviewing the above including: The Centre for International Students and Study Abroad web site at www.ucalgary.ca/cissa the web site at: http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/departments/RISK/riskmgmt/.

This site will give you links to the country profiles, health information, culture and etiquette, education, and so forth the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada web page at: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/index-eng.asp As you prepare, please note conditions within the country that include but are not limited to: current political conditions of the country the environmental conditions (i.e. common weather, common wildlife, etc.) the crime rate in the area to which you are traveling and also the types of common crimes accessible medical care, preferably with English speaking staff health conditions including common diseases or parasites cultural differences safety conditions transportation conditions (i.e. bad roads) information about the education system the laws of the area that might be significantly different than those in Canada NOTE: situations can change unexpectedly and rapidly, prompting changes in a country’s security rating. Plan ahead!

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

 Register with Insurance & Risk Management & Operations by completing the Traveler Registration Form, which can be found at: www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/departments/RISK/riskmgmt/ . Registration is mandatory for students when travelling abroad on university programs or business – so any course work, practicum or internship that has been approved by your department and/or faculty requires that you register. Prior to commencing the registration form, contact your study abroad coordinator or supervisor to determine who your University contact should be (eg. CISSA, your supervisor, or a departmental administrator, etc.)  Attend a pre departure briefing offered through CISSA - regardless of the risk rating of country to which you are travelling. Much useful information on spending time abroad will be offered. Please note that if your country of travel is High Risk or Extreme Risk you must complete a pre departure orientation. Sessions are offered on a regular basis. Once completed, you will require additional approval from your Dean prior to travel being approved. Please contact CISSA cissa@ucalgary.ca for more information on registration. CISSA also has an orientation on line, DepartSmart, for those unable to attend a session. Contact us for more information. Please remember: The University of Calgary does not permit undergraduate students to travel to Extreme Risk countries.  Register with the Government of Canada – Foreign Affairs and International Trade. Complete this prior to your departure and then confirm your arrival by accessing their web page at https://www.voyage2.gc.ca/Registration_inscription/Register_Inscrire/Login_ouvrirune-session-eng.aspx?fwd=true&hash=p0V4sJhYtXNnDsAOImpW8w6161, Ensure that you have the address and phone number of the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy office. This can be obtained on the country specific Travel Report and Warnings links found at http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/menu-eng.asp. You may also wish to obtain information for the British, U.S. and Australian embassies, as they may also be willing to assist in an emergency.  Obtain a University of Calgary Emergency Assistance Card. A printable version is on the Risk Management web site (as noted above) under the Emergency Assistance section or you may pick one up at CISSA in MSC 275. There is a 24-hour emergency assistance phone number as well as an emergency assistance email address.  Obtain all of the proper documentation you require to ensure that you will pass all the customs, immigration or visa requirements including destination specific visas for your type of travel. .  If you are going to drive, ensure you understand the language and/or the road signs. Be aware of any risks in the areas you will be driving (i.e. night driving or lack of a road maintenance program on a particular road may increase your risk). Ensure that you have the appropriate license and permits. PERSONAL RISK MANAGEMENT  The University offers a web-based course which is available on the web. It is offered, free of charge, by the University's insurers. It contains modules on Traveler's Risks, Security Solutions and Institutional and Personal Liability. If you would like to take one or all of the modules, please email riskmgmt@ucalgary.ca and you will be supplied with the web address and a password.

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

 Set up a call-in or email procedure with a University person as well as with your emergency contacts where you will contact them on a regular basis. That way if you get in trouble, someone will be looking for you.  Keep a copy of your passport and visa information with you in case the originals are lost. Have a safe place for passports, visas and tickets (a hidden pouch or document holder). Do not keep originals and copies in the same place. Do not only rely upon scanned copies in your email. What if you cannot get to the internet?  Leave a copy of your itinerary, passport, visa, medical information, and medical insurance with family or friends in case you require it in an emergency.

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

 Obtain vaccinations required or suggested for the area to which you are traveling. Contact an International Travel Clinic in a early fashion as some inoculations require multiple injections.  Purchase appropriate insurance as specified by the University of Calgary International Travel Policy. Out of country medical is required and trip cancellation and interruption insurance coverage is strongly recommended. If you do not already have coverage through another plan, you may purchase this from your travel agent. Ensure you review your coverage prior to your departure to ensure that you know what is covered and whether or not you will be required to pay in advance for medical services.  Keep a health emergency card on your person that is written in the language of the area in which you are travelling. This card should include any information that medical personnel would need in an emergency. For example: your name, the language(s) you speak your allergies your blood type emergency contact number any medications you are taking on an ongoing basis specific medical conditions that may require care while you are abroad including appropriate medical response techniques if you wear contact lenses any other relevant medical information that should be shared should you be ill and/or incapacitated

 Obtain information on medical, legal and professional services within the area you are going to and where/how to obtain them (do it before you need them) - in some countries you may be required to provide immediate cash payment for health services and medical care may be at a significantly different standard than Canada.  Determine if there is a doctor or clinic offering services in a language in which you are fluent in your destination. IAMAT can facilitate this search at http://www.iamat.org/  Talk to your doctor about any personal medical conditions that may be affected by your  travels and how to manage them while abroad.  Take copies of your eyeglass prescription, medical prescriptions, blood type, etc.  Take extra prescription drugs in original containers and check with that country's laws to see if those drugs are permissible to bring into that country.  Pack an extra pair of eyeglasses or contact lenses in case of loss or damage while abroad.  Pack a personal first aid kit – just in case!  Contact CISSA for a copy of their Student Handbook which has many more useful hints on how to manage personal health and other issues while abroad

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

An Emergency Exit Plan should include the following elements:  Ensure that you have the University of Calgary Emergency Assistance phone number (403220-5333) and appropriate emails readily accessible as well as the address and phone number of the nearest Canadian consulate recorded in an easily and readily accessible location for emergencies (i.e.,in addition to in your email).  Determine what degree of support the Canadian Consular/Embassy Office closest to your city will be able to offer to you. The Canadian consulate can be quite helpful in familiarizing travelers with local resources that are available to Canadian citizens. If possible, arrange a meeting with the Canadian Consular/Embassy office. Ensure that you know the consulate/embassy locations and contact numbers.  In case you cannot reach the Canadian consulate, it is also useful to know the Australian,  British and U.S. embassy/consulate information in your host destination as well as they may be able to be of assistance in an emergency.  the area is known for particular environmental conditions (i.e. volcanic eruptions, If earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.), check with local authorities to see what they would suggest to pack in an "emergency kit" in case that type of environmental condition occurs.  Become familiar with evacuation routes that may be available in case of emergency.  Determine the various options for modes of transportation and routes by air, land or sea and familiarize yourself with the scheduled flights of various airlines should you need to evacuate the area quickly. In selecting alternative routes be aware of potential choke points, bridges, areas that could be congested and provide maps of those routes.  Be aware of potential any departure issues such as departure taxes, exit visas, permits and any other related departure requirements in case you must leave quickly.  Cultivate a relationship with a local travel agent, both for local as well as international travel, in case you need emergency assistance.  In an early departure scenario, ensure you have: - Your current passports and visa - Appropriate amounts of cash (local currency and American dollars recommended) - Water & food - Blankets/sleeping bags - Your up-to-date list of vaccinations - Any host country identification papers as well as at least one photocopy of all important documents including Embarkation Cards, customs documents etc. - Report any significant injuries to the University as soon as possible. - Advise your home department at the University of adjusted travel information including transportation type, date, time, destination, estimated time of arrival; - Retain the address and phone number of the nearest emergency medical facility. - Obtain and carry a local cell phone if possible - Set up and maintain a call-in procedure with an appropriate University contact as well as with your emergency contacts

UCVM Government & International Relations Committee, September 22nd, 2009

To top